Managing the tempo...

V

vkurup

having got the 3bay GSA, tried it in the back garden.. my tempo is all over the place.
This is from my best swing (i was using a PW as a 8-iron)

Image.jpg

I had a look at the 3bays website to check if they have something that I can use to understand tempo. Unfortunately they have the most useless video on the subject. youtube link here --> http://youtu.be/4emLmjkJoaU

Question:
1) What is an ideal tempo
2) Can you train getting the tempo? Any good drills

D

Deleted member 15344

I was once told to say "Severiano Ballesteros" ( in your head ) whilst swinging

Would give you nice ideal tempo on your swing

V

vkurup

How come you didn't swing an 8 iron? Or set up the app with a pw?

I only have a PW at home as a practice one.. so used it.. I unboxed the GSA today and was took it for a spin. Will set it up as a PW in the app tmrw and give it a go.

V

vkurup

Your backswing should be 3 times longer than your downswing.

The pic shows i did that.. but the other swings were between 2-3.... I guess the issue is tempo consistency.. How to manage that?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As others have said, 3:1 is about right.

Phil's suggestion is a good one. Severiano is on the backswing. Start the downswing on the B of Ballesteros and hit the ball on the T. That should stop you 'hitting from the top' and instead build up speed gradually into impact.

For me at least, when my tempo goes bad it's because I start the downswing too early, so I try to feel like there is a pause at the top before I start down.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
For me at least, when my tempo goes bad it's because I start the downswing too early, so I try to feel like there is a pause at the top before I start down.

This is the same for me also.

My general thought, which isn't really a thought ( :mad: ) when I get to the top is "Wait", then start down.

D4RK1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I only have a PW at home as a practice one.. so used it.. I unboxed the GSA today and was took it for a spin. Will set it up as a PW in the app tmrw and give it a go.
Ah ok. Fair enough then. What else can this kit show you? Do it just measure swing/club characteristics or can it show ball data too?

V

vkurup

Ah ok. Fair enough then. What else can this kit show you? Do it just measure swing/club characteristics or can it show ball data too?

Image.jpg
It shows some funky things.. However, some of it like the ball data is calculated and therefore needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. But if you get on youtube, there are plenty of videos of 3bays v Trackman and they seem to be remarkably accurate.

The most interesting ones however are the swing path videos that the device generates. Good learning tool..

Hunka Turf

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would argue there is no ideal tempo. Everyone has their own natural rhythm that they feel comfortable with. The key is to find yours and then try to repeat in consistently.

I wouldn't recommend trying to replicate someone else's tempo or trying to get a certain ratio.

V

vkurup

Over the last few weeks, I have started slowing down the backswing and (trying to) add a wait before starting the downswing. I have realised, I am now more accurate as well as hitting further. My regular 7i distance is about 145y in the summer. However since I have made the changes, I am frequently flying past in 150y in this cold and miserable weather. IF I can retain this till the summer then it will some interesting to see how far I can hit when ground starts rolling. The new swing tempo is in 3ish range...

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I would argue there is no ideal tempo. Everyone has their own natural rhythm that they feel comfortable with. The key is to find yours and then try to repeat in consistently.

I wouldn't recommend trying to replicate someone else's tempo or trying to get a certain ratio.

Its surprising that nearly every golfer with a CONSISTENT swing has a 3:1 ratio. You can download Tour Tempo files and they have a variety of soundtracks to help you practice to beeps to which tempo suits you. You can get it on MP3 or MP4 format. I find it useful when at the range as I warm up to get in to a good rythm. Others have sadi try saving on your back swing Severiano Ballesteros, you just need to find what is comfortable and repeatable for YOU and work to that every time you practice

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

Peter Kostis recommends 3:1

Should I ignore a world renowned coach?