Man utd lucky or what??

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Lucky!!!!

Thats hard to believe. Mind you I only seen the first half before i started on nightshift

It should have been game over before half time

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
The ref certainly had a soft spot for the team in red! I'm not talking about the sending off, Drogba deserved to go but some of the goal kicks he gave when chelsea should have had a corner and corners for man u when it was a goal kick were pathetic. Also how about when he booked makelele and scholes, makelele did nothing wrong he jumped up and won the ball, scholes clatters into him and they both get booked, what was that about. Carvhalo should never have been booked either.

And before you ask I am not a chelsea fan and didn't care who won, this is from a neutral perspective. And from that same perspective I have to admit it was a great game to watch.

And although man u dominated the first half, they created little in the way of good opportunities where as Chelsea had 2 or 3 in the second half where they were the better team. As well as quite a few half chances such as Drogbas snapshot. I suppose on a different night the two shots that hit the woodwork would have gone in and we would be looking at a chelsea victory, but man u just seemed destined to win it last night.

Parmo

Tour Winner
www.roundhaygc.com
tbh I think Chelski have had a lucky season, sneaking goals in here and there when they should have lost, they didnt deserve to finish 2nd and I am glad Man u beat them, once Grant gets the sack in the next few weeks, Fat frank will go, Drogba and cavallio.

Page

Medal Winner
Visit site
being a neutral i think the better team, both in the game and through the season, won.

i don't think they were lucky. they should have won 3-1 anyway, what with the near misses.

in a funny way many things that sum-up both teasm really came to light last night, like how cocky ronaldo can be - often to his detriment, how awfully wingey, aggressive and unsporting the chelsea players can be, etc.

well done united.

B

birdieman

Total neutral here so my unbiased take on the game was thus -

ManU dominated 1st half and were good for a one goal lead but Lampard got lucky for Chelsea to level. Can't agree with Fergie that they should have been 3 up. That equaliser swung the momentum and Chelsea looked better in the 2nd half without creating many clear cut chances. Those woodwork efforts were speculative.
Extra time Man U looked a wee bit better though there wasn't much in it.
When Terry walked up I was convinced he'd score but it wasn't to be, a sore one he'll have to live with.

Good advert for premiership, fully expect an English team back in the final next year. There's only Inter and AC Milan and Real/Barca to consider as a threat nowadays.

Overall I thought the ref and assistants did well.

I have been disappointed with Rooney over the last 3 or 4 months, doesn't seem anything like the player he was, petulant throwing of shirt is immature, he wasn't playing as well as Tevez or Ronaldo so needed to go off. Thought Fergie should have Anderson on for Scholes far earlier in the second half.
Drogba needed taking down a peg or two, stupid behaviour for a pro. :(

It was almost comical at one point late on when we were meant to be watching a football match but were instead watching a stretching contest with half the players lying around with cramp!

The slo-mo images of the ManU players sprinting from the half way line when Anelka missed were great. Felt sorry for Chelsea, maybe better if it is a foreign team that get's beat in the final next time.

Be interesting to see who leaves and arrives at both clubs over the summer. Mancini will replace Grant won't he?

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree completely with your summary Birdieman, except the bit about the referee and his assistants, whilst they dealt with the main point of controvesy well (Drogbas sending off) there were too many mistakes that they made that were not hard to judge correctly. Take the cross that ronaldo sliced off the pitch behind the goal, the ref was within 5 metres of it and in a good position to be fair to him but he seemed to just assume that ronaldo could not possibly have got it so wrong and therfore gave a corner. I thoguht it was a goal kick immediately, and the replay proved this so what was the ref thinking and this sort of thing happened more than once. Admittedly every ref makes mistakes and I am not one of these people that will slate a ref for no reason but there were to many obvious mishaps to deem his performance good in my opinion. Also take the bookings of Makelele and Scholes despite the fact that makelele did nothing wrong, if both players deserved a yellow card in the refs opinion he had concluded thay they were both as bad as each other so why not just keep his card in his pocket? There have been worse refs but in a champions league final I woudl expect better.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
AS a united fan my thoughts are this.

The ref wasn't great. I agree Makelele shouldn't have been booked with Scholes but then again neither should Tevez when Drogba was sent off. I think the ref only booked Tevez to soften the blow for Chelsea.

Sorry birdieman, Fergie was right, we should have been 3 up with the goal, and the 2 amazing saves cech made from Tevez and carrick, but thats how the game goes.

United dominated for all of the first half and Chelsea got 2 lucky deflections for Lampards goal but he did well to get forward un-noticed and put the chance away.

Chelsea came out the better side at half time and kept us pegged back for 20-30 mins of the second half, but towards the end United come good with some neat counter attacks.

Extra time was pretty even and some good football was played by both sides. The shoot out as we all know is a lottery and luckily for us Chelsea missed more pens than we did.

I honestly thought Chelsea would be Champions as Terry stepped up as it just seemed so fitting for him to score the winner! O how I cried with joy when he missed.

Well done to Edwin, his save was top draw, he was close to two others but he deserves the credit!

For me the best team won it, but Chesea definitly gave a good game and definitly deserved to be in the final!

pjaz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a Man City fan I almost cried when Terry slipped, though I thought Anelka was psyched out by Van Der Sar for his penalty when he could have put things level again - had it gone to another one who knows what would have happened?

Ah well, I'll get back to what's happening at Wentworth.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just my tuppence worth.
Firstly my team is Barnsley.

Ref: I think he is one of the top three in Europe. He did ok and got most of big decisions right. I don't think he showed any bias toward either side.
Makele booked - No he shouldn't have been
Tevez booked _ No he shouldn't have been.. Unsporting conduct YES but didn't Chelsea do the same thing TWICE when their players were feigning injury. This part of the game needs eradicating. The foreign influx have brought some good thing to the game but diving and feigning injury have NO part to play in this game.
Carvalho - EAGLEHUNTER, what were you watching? he could have broken Ronaldo's leg and should have been sent off. His boot contacted Ronaldo's shin. He committed a cynical foul on Brian Howard in the FA cup and had it been the other way around they would have been calling for a life ban.
He is a cheat!!! no more no less. You watch him in his own area on every dead ball he has a handfull of shirt.

United ought to have had three in the first half but for poor finishing by Tevez. Chelsea could have had three with the woodwork being hit twice. Giggs should have scored in ET by keeping it low in the vacant corner. Draw was a fair result.
Pens: I felt for JT. he along with Essien are two players at Chelsea that I do admire. Drogba should go he is like a spoilt child. Lampard is over rated.
Anelka i'm afraid was psyced (sp) out by the keeper. He didn't fancy it and you could tell.

BTW did you see the russian soldiers swapping their hats for united shirts... heading to siberia i think

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes i seen the soldiers swapping hats for shirts, i thought that was a great touch but very unprofesional, I do wonder what there C/O would have to say about that.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Vig I accept that Carvalho is a cheat, I don't like him myself but in this incident he played the ball first and followed through onto Ronaldo-there is nothing wrong with that if you get the ball and then the man it is a perfectly legal challenge. This is a mans game after all.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only If you keep your studs down, his were clearly up!

It was a similar tackle that broke eduardo's leg!

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eaglehunter, he did follow through with studs and as tony said very similar to the challenge that broke Eduardo's leg.

As for a mans game. It used to be.
If I played now I wouldn't be on the pitch for 10 minutes.
How successful do you think the likes of Ron Harris, Souness, Reid, McMahon, Robson, Bremner etc, etc.... would have been in todays game?
They would have been driven out.
You can't make a tackle, can't "touch a goalkeeper, damn even if the keeper touches you he gets the kick. You can't even go in shoulder to shoulder now. AND some of the reactions from the foreign element are laughable. Aliadiere's "slap" on Mascherano being a classic case.

Golf, now that's more physical, high fives all round. :D

nomadpaul

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All i'll add is that whilst being very depressed at the result , i'm also very very proud of the boys in blue.

Great advert for the Premiership including the actions of those fans from both teams in Moscow.....only let down by those drunken idiots drinking near to The Bridge.

JT , i welled up as he sat there , head between his knees , knowing his fate.

Well done Man Utd . Even though i think we just edged the game over 120mins , its a one off match so you know its not always the best team that wins.

Don't worry , we'll be back pushing for those titles next season.

KTBFFH

P.S....and Parmo , Chelsea finished 2nd in the PL because they were the 2nd best team over 38 games. The table never lies :rolleyes:

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tevez - probably should not have been booked when he was but should already have been booked. A bit too free with elbows and hands round the face (and so are too many others).

Ref made a good few poor or wrong decisions, Joe Cole chasing after him was never going to change things but I think slo-mo proved Cole right more tha once.

Thought for the day - do poor refereeing decisions encourage the play acting and over-reactions (which I in no way condone ever). If FIFA want to erradicate all this then they have to tighten up on the quality of decision making and if this means using video, or extra 'referees assitants' so be it.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
IMHO the disciplinary panel (old farts) should look at VT's of all incidents involving penalty claims, free kick claims, diving, feigning injury and assimilation and if found guilty the player should then receive a retrospective booking/sending off and face a ban. If over the course of a season a club incurs "X" number of these retrospective penalties then the club should face points deduction.

That is the only way to eradicate the "cheating" that goes on in the game today.
failing that they should all be put up against a wall and SHOT!!!!! :D

toonarmy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Vig I accept that Carvalho is a cheat, I don't like him myself but in this incident he played the ball first and followed through onto Ronaldo-there is nothing wrong with that if you get the ball and then the man it is a perfectly legal challenge. This is a mans game after all.

And hello to the Ron Atkinson school of modern thinking & political correctness.

It's a bloody great myth that by 'taking the ball' it means you haven't commited a foul. Read the rules, ball or not, dangerous play is dangerous play.

My uername let's you know that for me this match was like AVP - whoever wins, we all lose. However, seeing the supposed Bionic Man/Juggernaut/'Ard Man sob like a little girl for over 15 minutes when he missed his pen (and no it wasn't due to slipping as he slipped AFTER kicking the ball, not before) will go down as one of my highlights of the year.

Chelsea losing the European Cup due to their captain falling over with no-one in touching distance is just about as close as you get to perfect irony.

Karma - gotta love it.

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
Toon it is still highly different to going over the top of the ball like in the Eduardo tackle case. I really don't think it was that dangerous at all. Much worse tackles are often waved on by referees. Whilst also I don't think it says anything in the rules about dangerous play, only 'violent conduct' or 'serious foul play' whilst dangerous is used to define the wearing of jewlery or challenging of a keeper in the air. Therfore no cautionable offence has been committed. If it were to say dangerous play you should outlaw challenging for headers between all players (not just with the keeper) as every now and again two players clash heads meaning that the action of challenging for the ball in the air must be dangerous as injury can come as a result of it...come to think of it that may be why makelele was booked as well as scholes ;)

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think you can look into the rules all day but at the end of the day, the studs were up, and the tackle was higher than the ball, over the top, It was malicious.

Dont get me wrong, I hate the fact that the sport has turned into a ballet act and love a good hard tackle as much as the next centre back but you cant throw tackles in like that!

Fair enough, if the ball was won, studs down and you go through the opposing player and launch him into the stand then its a pat on the back from the skipper, but this was not the case!