Heating a small bathroom

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We have a small en-suite (2.5 x 1.5m), and currently the only heating is a small towel rail, which isn't up to the job in winter.
There isn't room to put in a bigger towel rail or radiator, so I was looking at adding some sort of supplementary fan heater.

I notice that ceiling mounted bathroom fan heaters seem to be common in the USA. Here's an example:
Something like that would be ideal.

But they don't seem to be available here in the UK. Is there some regulation that outlaws them here?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
If incorporating this in the light, most lighting circuits will not have the capacity for a heater so will overload and could run the risk of fire. A small fan assisted wall mounted heater might suffice but would require wiring into a ring main.

It will be wired into a ring main, and it's not anything to do with the lighting. I just want some supplementary heating in the winter.

No difficulty finding a wall-mounted downward firing fan heater, I just think ceiling mounted would be a neater solution if it's allowed in the UK - provided I can find one!

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
We have a small en-suite (2.5 x 1.5m), and currently the only heating is a small towel rail, which isn't up to the job in winter.
There isn't room to put in a bigger towel rail or radiator, so I was looking at adding some sort of supplementary fan heater.

I notice that ceiling mounted bathroom fan heaters seem to be common in the USA. Here's an example:
Something like that would be ideal.

But they don't seem to be available here in the UK. Is there some regulation that outlaws them here?

These might work…

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We have similar and recently replaced the towel radiator with a slightly taller flat panel towel rad. Gives off much more heat.

That was my original intention, but we can't fit a towel rail wider than 300mm in the en-suite. It already has a 300 x 1600 rail, and I can't find a bigger one that isn't too wide.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
That was my original intention, but we can't fit a towel rail wider than 300mm in the en-suite. It already has a 300 x 1600 rail, and I can't find a bigger one that isn't too wide.
I'm surprised that is not up to the job. Does it get as hot as your other radiators?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
These might work…

That's a possibility, and the 600 x 600 ceiling panel would fit.
But I suspect an IR heater requires time to heat the room, and you need to keep it on for long periods.
What we need is some instant heat while we're in it - don't want to get out of a nice hot shower into a cold bathroom.
I think some kind of fan heater operating at much higher wattage for a short time would be more appropriate.
The idea would be to switch it on a few minutes before needed, and turn it off when we leave. Would probably use less power overall than a IR panel.

Returning to my original question:
Does anyone know why the type of ceiling fan heater you can get in the US isn't available in the UK?

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised that is not up to the job. Does it get as hot as your other radiators?
Yes it does. In fact I'd say it's one of the toastiest rads in the house.

But it is chrome, which I'm led to believe is less efficient at radiating heat.
(Could that be why it's so hot to the touch: not radiating = stays hotter?)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
But I suspect an IR heater requires time to heat the room, and you need to keep it on for long periods.
What we need is some instant heat while we're in it - don't want to get out of a nice hot shower into a cold bathroom.
I think some kind of fan heater operating at much higher wattage for a short time would be more appropriate.
The idea would be to switch it on a few minutes before needed, and turn it off when we leave. Would probably use less power overall than a IR panel.

Does anyone know why the type of ceiling fan heater you can get in the US isn't available in the UK?
Building regs?

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

I’m guessing it’s because of the voltage… 120V
That’s why they have sockets in the bathroom.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Building regs?
That was my guess, but I was hoping one of the tradesmen on this forum might know for sure.

I’m guessing it’s because of the voltage… 120V
That’s why they have sockets in the bathroom.
Yes, the US has 120V, but there's no reason why there couldn't be a similar device built for 230V.

Infra red gives instant heat and you'll feel it straight away, will take a while to heat the room but so will anything.
Ah right, interesting. I will look into IR a bit more. Thanks.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m pretty surprised. Ours only has a towel radiator and does the job. Enough to not fog up when having a hot shower and get moaned at that it’s too warm in the bathroom. Similar size.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My experience of a tall towel rail in the bathroom is it is where any air in the system tends to accumulate and it needs bleeding more often.

A bit surprising that the rad is not doing the job, it should be plenty big enough to heat a room that size and sounds more like there is something wrong with the rad.

Use a rad calculator* and then look at the output of a rad that size.

* A quick look up suggests a 2mx2m bathroom needs something over 1000btu

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My experience of a tall towel rail in the bathroom is it is where any air in the system tends to accumulate and it needs bleeding more often.

A bit surprising that the rad is not doing the job, it should be plenty big enough to heat a room that size and sounds more like there is something wrong with the rad.

Use a rad calculator* and then look at the output of a rad that size.

* A quick look up suggests a 2mx2m bathroom needs something over 1000btu
Well, all I can say is that the towel rail gets hot all the way to the top, so I don't think it needs bleeding.
I did use a calculator and came up with about 1100 BTU for the room, but I have no idea what rating the towel rail has.

This bathroom is on the corner of the house, so two external walls. (We do have cavity wall insulation).
And it has an unusally large (115cm square) double glazed window, which could be losing a fair amount of heat.

Or perhaps we're just soft southern wimps and feel the cold 😅