Mallet or Blade putter in winter

biggl1976

Visit site
Hi,

is it worth considering using a mallet putter instead of a blade putter over winter? Sometimes it seems that I can't hit my bladed putter hard enough to keep a controlled strike but still get the ball to the hole.

Thanks
BIGGL1976

DelB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I live, the weather in the summer is the same as it is in the winter, so I use a mallet all year round. :mmm:

:fore:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I stick with my blade all year round.

Our greens in the winter are very inconsistent with some being USGA and some "normal", if you know what I mean. As such some hold the water and are very soft, some dry out quite quickly as they are more exposed and some (USGA) are as hard as nails all the time so its impossible to get a consistent feel from one green to another in the winter.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi,

is it worth considering using a mallet putter instead of a blade putter over winter?

no - spend the money on a putting lesson instead as there must be something in your technique that's preventing you making a solid strike on the ball that would easily send it 30 yds! :mmm:

having said that if you have a really light putter head you could consider adding weight to it temporarily (lead tape's easy) but this should only really be done when switching to temporary/different greens.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It may help if the Mallet is heaver, but not if you are changing from a toe weighted to a face weighted putter, this would need a different putting stroke.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Personally i'd keep the same putter rather than changing, if the greens are running slower just hit the putts a bit firmer.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Never been able to putt with a mallet putter, and don't understand how you are supposed to swing them square to the target.:confused: If you try running the putter square up against a skirting board, it is almost impossible and feels like the putter is going out to square to out again. Always putted with a blade, with an in to square to in again stroke, which feels totally natural.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What do you mean by a face weighted putter??

If you balance a putter shaft on your index finger a face weighted (or balanced) putter will have the face lie level. A Toe balanced putter will leave the toe dropped lower than the heel. Face balanced require a straight back and through stroke, Toe balanced are better for an arced, in to in stroke.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Hi,

is it worth considering using a mallet putter instead of a blade putter over winter? Sometimes it seems that I can't hit my bladed putter hard enough to keep a controlled strike but still get the ball to the hole.

Thanks
BIGGL1976

You don't have to hit your putt harder.

Chances are your greens have slowed up, like most places this time of year.

Don't try and hit your putts harder. Keep the same speed of stroke as usual, just take more of a back swing and make a positive stroke.

Last edited:

MGL

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mygolf.me
If you balance a putter shaft on your index finger a face weighted (or balanced) putter will have the face lie level. A Toe balanced putter will leave the toe dropped lower than the heel. Face balanced require a straight back and through stroke, Toe balanced are better for an arced, in to in stroke.

Thanks, I know what a face balanced putter is (don't agree with them but thats another story!) I'd just never heard it referred to as face weighted before! Thought I missed something out there!!