Making it harder for myself?

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
Afternoon guys,

Im currently in the process of a return to golf after a significant 5 year lay off. I used to play off 17 but am back up to the starting point of 28 again. I still use the same set of Taylormade RAC HT that i started playing with which must be 15 years old now? Understandably I want to update whats in the bag and am currently on the hunt for new irons however do not have the funds to go custom fit or even brand new. I am looking at a range of second hand options Mizuno JPX 800/825, Ping G20-30, Titleist AP1, Wilson Staff D250 etc but will i be just making things more difficult for myself by ordering a set of used clubs that I have never hit before ? Or will it just be a matter of getting used to them/hoping for the best?
Or on the other hand do I hold out for a few months and just regrip my current irons and purchase some clubs once I'm back in the swing of it (pardon the pun).

I plan on a lesson or 2 when i join a new club when i move next month as a bit of a refresher but new clubs is what is exciting me right now.... its just making the decision of what?

Any advice or opinions on the matter?
Thanks ! :confused:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I still keep going back to my RAC LT irons, they are in the bag at the moment. I've R9 TP and RBZTour irons in the shed but the RAC irons are still good.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I still keep going back to my RAC LT irons, they are in the bag at the moment. I've R9 TP and RBZTour irons in the shed but the RAC irons are still good.

Yeah i demoed a Ping G30 alongside the RAC but when hit well there wasn't much difference between the two in honesty. Ping was probably slightly longer but not a huge difference.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the RAC HTs

I would wait until you really get back into the game and are playing to what you consider a good standard before looking at switching irons.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
A lot around here play irons 10+ years old, mine are from 2007ish but I didn’t get them till 2010.

As long as the grips are in good condition and the shafts are not bent all will be fine.

Get out and get golfing!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would wait until you join your new club and see what the pro has second hand he will be able to advise you best and adjust the clubs to your specs. You can try before you buy, best of both worlds.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'd get into the club, get playing and speak to the pro. The lessons will definitely help. If it helps, I bought a set of I series of Ping's via Golfbidder and they were in excellent condition and I have no regrets. The RAC's are still a functional club although I'd ensure the grips are in good nick

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
I’ve basically been split down the middle with this one! I’ve come across a fantastic deal so the irons may be getting purchased anyway. The RAC grips are pretty beat and the cost of full regripping would be 1/3 the cost of these irons so in my head it makes sense.

My priority is definitely to get in with the pro and get some lessons sorted. I am focusing on my swing and hopefully will start to see that handicap start falling before the years put! Thanks for all the advice and please don’t judge me on my inability to say no to shiny new bats ! They may stay away until I’m back into the groove but I’m sure that will be easier said than done!