Maintaining wrist angle on down swing

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't know if this is actual a major problem in the swing, but on my down swing my wrists go back to straight. But having looked at a few pros swings it seems that they all maintain wrist angle untill impact.

So does anyone have any drills to improve this and also does it impact in power/distance??

Cheers

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you're talking about lag which I think you are then it will reduce your SS and therefore distance. Can't help you with how to improve I'm afraid but I'm sure JO or Bob will be able to give some advice

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't know if this is actual a major problem in the swing, but on my down swing my wrists go back to straight. But having looked at a few pros swings it seems that they all maintain wrist angle untill impact.

So does anyone have any drills to improve this and also does it impact in power/distance??

Cheers

I don't see how they can both be straight. Ideally for a right handed player, at impact the left wrist should be the straight one which would make the right wrist angle back. Hogan liked the left wrist to be bowed out wards a little which stopped his snap hook

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't see how they can both be straight. Ideally for a right handed player, at impact the left wrist should be the straight one which would make the right wrist angle back. Hogan liked the left wrist to be bowed out wards a little which stopped his snap hook

yeah sorry, i mean my left wrist and shaft of club straighten out quickly on the down swing. Where when looking at the pros when the wrists at about 8/7 oclock the angle is still maintained, but mine is staight with the club shaft.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Try holding onto the backwards cup in your right wrist into impact while throwing the club downwards towards the ball, never let the clubhead pass your hands though. You will not be able to maintain the lag in the club as the outward forces passing from your body to your arms, to the club will be too great for you to resist. If you are interested in the technology then read up on 'COAM' Conservation of Angular Momentum'

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Lag is the angle the club-head 'lags' behind the hands on the down-swing. At impact that should be a marginal amount - as there should be a slight forward lean to the shaft, so hands should be slightly ahead. During the early and mid down-swing, lag can (should?) be as the same amount as was created at the top of the back-swing (90*?) and lessens considerably through the impact zone as the club-head is 'released'.

I believe what the OP is referring to is the 'flat' or 'bowed' (or even 'cupped' wrist). This is something that (I believe) is personal, but as stated, top guys tend to be slightly bowed - what Hogan incorrectly referred to as 'supinated'. A bowed wrist at impact delofts the club, which explains the prodigious distances the top guys hit irons. It requires considerable strength in the forearms. A flat wrist works fine but a cupped wrist is no good at all - that's 'flipping'.

If you want to build the muscles involved up, wind a bar-bell up and down using a string attached to a bar a few times should help!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
.... never let the clubhead pass your hands though. You will not be able to maintain the lag in the club

That's because the 'lag' will have been lost (actually, a negative value).

as the outward forces passing from your body to your arms, to the club will be too great for you to resist. If you are interested in the technology then read up on 'COAM' Conservation of Angular Momentum'

(Virtually) Irrelevant. Only a consideration if you are trying to stop the swing (or change it's plane) before you hit the ball!

COAM may be relevant to flywheels (certainly is), leaning (a bike) to turn a spinning wheel, or to spinning Ice Skaters when they bring their arms in and speed up, or move them out and slow down - no force, apart from friction, is being applied, but the entire purpose of the down-swing is to increase Angular Momentum (using muscle power/force) so that maximum club-head speed is obtained at impact!

Last edited by a moderator:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think there might be a little confusion in this thread.

If you imagine you are standing at address and want to create the wrist angle you're talking about without moving your body or arms, would you move the club head to the right (away from target) or straight up in front of you?

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
thanks for the reply's. I wasn't really sure what this problem was called but after A few of you pointed out it was lag ive done a bit of research and Having had a look online I've found a few drills to fix this problem.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Here's a good vid about the bowed left wrist through impact.

http://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/ben-hogan-bowed-left-wrist-video/

Here's one on lag - actually it's an ad for an aid for lag - that's worth watching for the first 1:55 anyway! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oau7ubwXbFU

You decide which is the 'problem' you want to address.

Note that in the second vid: 1) a flat left wrist is advocated and 2) the pronate/supinate is not as per anatomy. In anatomy, pronation/supination is a forearm rotation (rolling the wrists!).

Here's a link about lag also.http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/casting.htm The last paragraph describes a 'drill' too. I actually used an feel reinforcement aid for this last week - where a strangely bern club say on my shoulder at top of back-swing and you had to keep it there for 'longer than currently'!

Luulox

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Here's a good vid about the bowed left wrist through impact.

http://golf-info-guide.com/video-golf-tips/ben-hogan-bowed-left-wrist-video/

Here's one on lag - actually it's an ad for an aid for lag - that's worth watching for the first 1:55 anyway! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oau7ubwXbFU

You decide which is the 'problem' you want to address.

Note that in the second vid: 1) a flat left wrist is advocated and 2) the pronate/supinate is not as per anatomy. In anatomy, pronation/supination is a forearm rotation (rolling the wrists!).

Here's a link about lag also.http://perfectgolfswingreview.net/casting.htm The last paragraph describes a 'drill' too. I actually used an feel reinforcement aid for this last week - where a strangely bern club say on my shoulder at top of back-swing and you had to keep it there for 'longer than currently'!
Some great info here, thanks very much for this it will help me lots
Cheers
Pete