Magnolia Park

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hi all,

there is currently a deal to play here for £49 - unlimited day of golf for 2 with 50 range ball each.

what is the course like as its one I've fancied playing for a while.

thanks,

Colonel Bogey

Visit site
I played there a few years ago. Really enjoyed it. Can only remember one hole. A scarry drive down a fairway that slopes left to right where you can see the M40. Nothing for left and less for right.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s awful to be honest - been there three times in the past 2 years and it’s not great at all - poor conditions , layout ok

Better off going up the road to Studley Wood

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It's not bad but I haven't been there for 3-4 years
Will be virtually unplayable at the moment I suspect...
Only times I've played there it's been quiet but they've since built a hotel on the grounds and it could be a bit more corporate than club if you know what I mean.
Can get a bit up and down at times and if the wind is in the wrong direction you get loads of road noise from the M40 even though it's a mile away.
Clubhouse is nice though.
As a course to play then Studley is probably the better bet but I'm not over keen on that either to be honest.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's not bad but I haven't been there for 3-4 years
Will be virtually unplayable at the moment I suspect...
Only times I've played there it's been quiet but they've since built a hotel on the grounds and it could be a bit more corporate than club if you know what I mean.
Can get a bit up and down at times and if the wind is in the wrong direction you get loads of road noise from the M40 even though it's a mile away.
Clubhouse is nice though.
As a course to play then Studley is probably the better bet but I'm not over keen on that either to be honest.

what dont you like about Studley Ian?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I haven't played it for a while, but remember it being marketed as something special and thinking it was rather ordinary. In fact I am struggling to remember much about it at all and holes I do remember I can not be sure if they are at Studley Wood or Magnolia Park!

Given that I am a sad git who remembers most golf courses he's ever played, that worries me about both places! I keep on down the M40 to Thame!

D

Deleted member 15344

It was awful the last two times I played it - just a mess , decent layout but poor condition. Hotel is nice though

It’s struggled ever since Studley Wood improved

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I haven't played it for a while, but remember it being marketed as something special and thinking it was rather ordinary. In fact I am struggling to remember much about it at all and holes I do remember I can not be sure if they are at Studley Wood or Magnolia Park!

Given that I am a sad git who remembers most golf courses he's ever played, that worries me about both places! I keep on down the M40 to Thame!

Studley has several memorable holes imo, Magnolia less so :)

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It’s not a bad layout - it’s was just in shocking condition the last two times we played. Hotel was decent , if they the condition sorted then it would be a decent stay and play course

I nearly joined there many years ago before i joined Studley, was in much better condition in those days than has been recently before it closed. Nice enough course but the pylons and the motorway noise were big negatives for me. Never went in the hotel but cant be that bad its not been there that long

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I quite liked the layout although it got a bit dull halfway round the back 9..
Motorway noise was horrific if the wind was in the normal direction.
Biggest problem is that it's in the middle of nowhere...last couple of times I played there it was millionaires golf midweek.
Was it ever really busy..?

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I nearly joined there many years ago before i joined Studley, was in much better condition in those days than has been recently before it closed. Nice enough course but the pylons and the motorway noise were big negatives for me. Never went in the hotel but cant be that bad its not been there that long

Hotel was ok, nice rooms. Bar and food where ok when I went last year