Lowest lofted Iron(Driving Iron)?

Dwaring28720

Visit site
Hi all, my first ever post of the forum so i apologise if i haven't placed this in the correct section.

me and a friend started playing golf together just over a year ago and i think were both ready to join the big Tours with the pros ( jk!! :) ) but seriously were terrible but were both improving slowly we've been playing at a local municiple course once a week religiously and our scores are slowly coming down were still in triple figures but were happy were no longer joking at the clubhouse about finishing on 180 where everyone thinks we've been playing darts not golf, anyway my friend bought a set of Callaway edge irons where as i went with a set of mizuno mp-64 irons neither of us are in a position to buy a set of fitted irons yet so were playing with what we've got. Now down to my question.

I'm an embarrassingly short hitter with my irons my dad keeps saying it will come with time, meanwhile my brother bought me a Mizuno MP Fly-Hi 2 Iron <---- i love this club if we were having a competition where u can only have 2 clubs that would be the first on my list i can hit it near perfectly but even then im only getting 160yds give or take now at the same time my brother who is the same height and build as me can make the same shot with pretty much his wedges (i might be exagerrating there im not sure).

Sorry again to drift off topic there, short version is i love my 2 iron soo much and im trying to find a 1 iron thats still being manufactured somewhere or (according to wiki there is/was a 0 iron?!) so i can get that little extra distance.

PS i cant hit a hybrid to save my life so i am specifically looking for an iron at the minute ive been experimenting with my 3 wood with mixed results off the deck.

Kind regards and thank you very much for any help

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi all, my first ever post of the forum so i apologise if i haven't placed this in the correct section.

me and a friend started playing golf together just over a year ago and i think were both ready to join the big Tours with the pros ( jk!! :) ) but seriously were terrible but were both improving slowly we've been playing at a local municiple course once a week religiously and our scores are slowly coming down were still in triple figures but were happy were no longer joking at the clubhouse about finishing on 180 where everyone thinks we've been playing darts not golf, anyway my friend bought a set of Callaway edge irons where as i went with a set of mizuno mp-64 irons neither of us are in a position to buy a set of fitted irons yet so were playing with what we've got. Now down to my question.

I'm an embarrassingly short hitter with my irons my dad keeps saying it will come with time, meanwhile my brother bought me a Mizuno MP Fly-Hi 2 Iron <---- i love this club if we were having a competition where u can only have 2 clubs that would be the first on my list i can hit it near perfectly but even then im only getting 160yds give or take now at the same time my brother who is the same height and build as me can make the same shot with pretty much his wedges (i might be exagerrating there im not sure).

Sorry again to drift off topic there, short version is i love my 2 iron soo much and im trying to find a 1 iron thats still being manufactured somewhere or (according to wiki there is/was a 0 iron?!) so i can get that little extra distance.

PS i cant hit a hybrid to save my life so i am specifically looking for an iron at the minute ive been experimenting with my 3 wood with mixed results off the deck.

Have you had any lessons?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I may be wrong,but MP64's aren't aren't really aimed at high handicappers.
You'll need to be putting a decent swing on them to get good results.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
No, no lessons everything is from trial and error and the occasional tutorial video here and there.

It might be worth investing in a lesson. That way, you'll learn how to hit the clubs you have further rather than forking out more money for a club you might not be able to hit either.

Dwaring28720

Visit site
I may be wrong,but MP64's aren't aren't really aimed at high handicappers.
You'll need to be putting a decent swing on them to get good results.
as im still concentrating on making good contact with the ball my downswing isnt exactly blistering, should i be looking for something with a more flexible shaft?

Dwaring28720

Visit site
It might be worth investing in a lesson. That way, you'll learn how to hit the clubs you have further rather than forking out more money for a club you might not be able to hit either.
valid point to be honest i played a round with a member of the local club a few months back and he was constantly criticising the straightness of my arm etc so maybe it is time i looked into a 1 on 1 and try and get rid of any bad habits i may have developed on my own :-/

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm not that clued up tbh mate.
Game improvement clubs like Ping G range will be easier to hit.
Listen to Bobs advice,you'll not go far wrong.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to be the lesson route matey, and welcome to the forum.

You're struggling with distance, which I'd guess is due to the quality of strike you're putting on the ball. If your ball striking is poor then yes, you could look to buy a club that you can 'duff' further. Or, invest in a course of lessons, learn what impact is meant to be and enjoy hitting your 5 iron 160 yards.

Dwaring28720

Visit site
Got to be the lesson route matey, and welcome to the forum.

thanks for all the advice and thank you for the welcome, this might sound like a rather silly question as im assuming there will be a lot of variables, what should i be looking for in a lesson as in cost?, duration? is there something i should specifically look at, what would consist a lesson is it something that is done at a range or on a course im always a bit wary with people offering services so i just want to make sure if i book lessons im going in the right direction.

kind regards

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
thanks for all the advice and thank you for the welcome, this might sound like a rather silly question as im assuming there will be a lot of variables, what should i be looking for in a lesson as in cost?, duration? is there something i should specifically look at, what would consist a lesson is it something that is done at a range or on a course im always a bit wary with people offering services so i just want to make sure if i book lessons im going in the right direction.

kind regards

I think in a way you're right to be wary and there's lots to consider.

Some coaches teach 'position-based' methods. That is, they'll put up a video of Luke Donald and try to get you to hit those positions. Not for me.

Others (and I think Bob may be like this), take a video of your swing, give you a 'feeling' to replicate (which you'll no doubt think you've done, but on camera it doesn't look like it- not for you to worry about, as long as the results are good).

Or, you might get someone with lots of gadgets and numbers- they'll measure angle of attack, plane, speed, club face direction etc and then teach from there.

Which one appeals to you?

Another thing to consider is the frequency of lessons. If you're going to go, then ignore the advice of the pro, or not have the time or inclination to practice new moves, that's ok, but be honest with the pro.

For beginners, I would highly recommend group lessons. They are cheaper and you can then go for a course of lessons. You may also make a few new friends along the way. Trust me, if you're as rubbish as I was when starting out, finding people at your level is a good thing.

Pros will often, inevitably, get you to concentrate on grip, stance, alignment and posture. These so-called 'fundamentals' are argued to be the most important basics to ingrain. I get that, but also argue that every golfer in the world stands, grips and aligns themselves differently. It can be a frustrating pursuit going to 5 lessons only to be told every time that 'you're posture is slumped again' or 'you keep reverting back to a weak grip'.

In my (humble) opinion, you need to learn how to hit the small ball, then the big ball (ball then turf) every time at a speed which is controlled, RELAXED (tension is a killer) and balanced. If you can do that, then you should have the makings of a game (without even considering how to chip, pitch and putt) where you can decide whether you want to focus on intricate parts of the swing.

First things first- go and chat to a few pros. If their first words are, 'book a lesson' then it may put you off. If they are happy to spend 10 mins chatting about your game, what you want to achieve and they seem nice, give them a chance.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. For the money invested in new gear you could get a good number of lessons and get a firm foundation in the basics. It'll get your game in a better place and you'll hit it further and play better

Bert

Club Champion
Visit site
I can't recommend lessons highly enough, I have had three so far and difference to my game in the short space of time is amazing. Just wish I started them sooner.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can't recommend lessons highly enough, I have had three so far and difference to my game in the short space of time is amazing. Just wish I started them sooner.

Same here, expensive but worth it ever time.

Always book a course of lessons with a 2-4 week gap (6-8 if your long established) and you should see plently of improvement if you work hard.

I have 6 lessons planned for this year and I am not even a member of a club.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would start off looking for group lessons, maybe at a local course or range.
I know ours has at least one session a week for beginners.

Will be a lot cheaper than 1-on-1 lessons and as a beginner there will be obvious tweaks a pro would spot in the 3 or 4 balls at a time they watch you hit.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where do you live? World of Golf in Clydebank offer free group sessions for beginners as long as you buy Range balls....

think there's 4 or 5 of them up and down the country- would imagine other ranges offer something similar

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

Most pros nowadays do not go below a 3 iron in their irons at most. For a reason.

I know you say you can't hit hybrids, but I expect that if you get a 1 iron you may well get very frustrated with it very quickly. As many others have said, lessons will be the way to go to help you, especially in the long term. As opposed to trying to hit 1 irons as they are very unforgiving. And I expect after say 3 or 4 lessons, plus a bit of practice you will be getting as much distance with say a 5 or 6 iron then you currently are with your 2 iron. Plus more importantly a more repeatable and effective swing that will help you get better.

Again as others have said, a few lessons when you start out will save you so much mental pain and anguish later on in your golfing life. Trust me, I am trying to undo 30 odd years of bad habits and it is extremely hard. And costly. ;)

Best of luck.

Last edited: