Lower your expectations PLEASE!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

So true. I had a little walk round a few holes of my course last week and wandering down the fairways and seeing divot scrapes not filled my thought was 'well why have they not filled these in?' Of course my 'expectation' was that all would have been filled on tees and fairways and growing beautifully - as if the two guys still working had nothing else to do over 18 holes of growing grass...

Siolag

Visit site
We had a Zoom committee meeting at the weekend and our Course Manager said exactly this. The greens won't be running as fast and with the staff they have working, they are struggling to deal with the growth. It'll be set up very much for 'social golf' at first.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The article is spot on .
I have been to my club and walked the course and spoke to the GK and this is what he told me.
So not expecting perfection.
But as stated in other thread , photos can be very misleading as to the condition of the course.
It’s only when you stand on a green you can really see what it’s like.
Any condition will do me atm ,think this season might be a write off any way.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Likewise SILH. I had seen pictures of a local course on FB and took a wander over it last week and its clear to see how easy it is to manipulate photographs. I was quite shocked at how "rough" it looked but as you say two greenkeepers (even if that) trying to maintain a course in growing season must be horrendous.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
The article is spot on .
I have been to my club and walked the course and spoke to the GK and this is what he told me.
So not expecting perfection.
But as stated in other thread , photos can be very misleading as to the condition of the course.
It’s only when you stand on a green you can really see what it’s like.
Any condition will do me atm ,think this season might be a write off any way.

Yet some shot me down for saying likewise on the other thread. As Sammebee said so many "experts on here" he knew the score as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So true. I had a little walk round a few holes of my course last week and wandering down the fairways and seeing divot scrapes not filled my thought was 'well why have they not filled these in?' Of course my 'expectation' was that all would have been filled on tees and fairways and growing beautifully - as if the two guys still working had nothing else to do over 18 holes of growing grass...
Our divots have been filled but GK said “ the lack of rain in the last couple of weeks has not germinated the seed”
Never thought I would hear “ lack of rain “ for a while but he was right it hasn’t rained much here for weeks.
I think it very much depends on what the GK priorities are ,but only essential maintenance is allowed.
Is there a set list for that anyone know?
I should have asked him.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yet some shot me down for saying likewise on the other thread. As Sammebee said so many "experts on here" he knew the score as well.
I was on the Greens Committee at my last club.
So did have a good idea what to expect.
Just never seen it before as courses are so well looked after these days.
There will be some people who complain obviously, but think most will be just happy to stroll the fairways again.
Just waiting on Boris and the science guys now.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Our divots have been filled but GK said “ the lack of rain in the last couple of weeks has not germinated the seed”
Never thought I would hear “ lack of rain “ for a while but he was right it hasn’t rained much here for weeks.
I think it very much depends on what the GK priorities are ,but only essential maintenance is allowed.
Is there a set list for that anyone know?
I should have asked him.

https://www.bigga.org.uk/news-listing/17-april-update-coronavirus-guidelines.html

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The greens won't be running as fast and with the staff they have working, they are struggling to deal with the growth.

I have noticed that even with own lawn mown on Saturday and already looking like it is getting another cut in the next few days.

Grizzly

Visit site
My daily allowed exercise yesterday included a run through the grounds of the Buckinghamshire GC - which to be fair looked pretty superb (I was 5k in by that point so may have been a tad delirious). Though the two groundsmen sharing a club cart were very definitely NOT socially distancing...

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think most reasonable people will have a reality check over the last month of so.

To be out on a golf course - albeit a restricted one - will be great for most of us who love the game. If parts of the couse look a bit ropey it won't move the smile off my face.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I think most reasonable people will have a reality check over the last month of so.

To be out on a golf course - albeit a restricted one - will be great for most of us who love the game. If parts of the course look a bit ropey it won't move the smile off my face.

Anyone thinking different needs to add themselves to the other thread about stereotypes! :) "The condition moaner!"

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm surprised at this.

I would have thought maintaining a course not in use would have been much easier and less time consuming.

Greens can be cut every other day and no need to do course set up, cut pins, rake bunkers etc. As well as not having to 'work around' people on the course during the day.

Appreciate most clubs have gone to 2 people, rather than 5 or 6 but surely the course set up in the morning uses up a fair number of man hours each day.

Out club did some analysis on what the most time was spent on and it was course set-up. Effectively done every morning from March to October and once or twice a week in the winter, depending on weather.

Anyway, quietly confident my course will be in decent nick and certainly very much worth playing as soon as we get the go ahead. seems Monday next week is being widely talked about.

Tommy10

Visit site
I'm surprised at this.

I would have thought maintaining a course not in use would have been much easier and less time consuming.

Greens can be cut every other day and no need to do course set up, cut pins, rake bunkers etc. As well as not having to 'work around' people on the course during the day.

Appreciate most clubs have gone to 2 people, rather than 5 or 6 but surely the course set up in the morning uses up a fair number of man hours each day.

Out club did some analysis on what the most time was spent on and it was course set-up. Effectively done every morning from March to October and once or twice a week in the winter, depending on weather.

Anyway, quietly confident my course will be in decent nick and certainly very much worth playing as soon as we get the go ahead. seems Monday next week is being widely talked about.

I won a 4ball at your course, very much looking forward to playing there.............

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
To be honest I'm not overly bothered. As long as the greens are true I'm not too fussed if they are slow to start with. Lets get the green keepers back and working as a full(er) team and give them resources to do the job before expecting competition level courses to play on