Lower ball flight

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been experiencing lower ball flight which is very noticeable with my 3 and 4 iron. I think it is down to me pushing my whole body ,head, upper torso and shoulders to the left while rotating. This leads to the club face being slightly open and the face facing more downer:rofl:, resulting in a lower ball flight.

I'm not sure but are you supposed to push your whole body forwards, like I do or just push your hips and rotate them while keeping your head still or am I wrong in both?
Hope you understand:rolleyes:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My understanding is that you don't move the body forward. I'd been doing it sub-consciously recently leading to shanks. I was told you just rotate around the (straight) spine angle but I' m prepared to be corrected and educated

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have been experiencing lower ball flight which is very noticeable with my 3 and 4 iron. I think it is down to me pushing my whole body ,head, upper torso and shoulders to the left while rotating. This leads to the club face being slightly open and the face facing more downer:rofl:, resulting in a lower ball flight.

I'm not sure but are you supposed to push your whole body forwards, like I do or just push your hips and rotate them while keeping your head still or am I wrong in both?
Hope you understand:rolleyes:

In your finishing pose can you comfortable take three steps forwards with out having to readjust your body?

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
I can take three steps forward comfortably. About the rotating around the spine do you have to push your hips forward and rotate or just rotate.

Last edited:

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Try swinging so you can easily take a few steps forward. I had this issue and it was because my hips were going miles forward but my head was staying back, I leaned the shaft forward and closed the face, resulting in a low weak hooky flight to low and rolling flight.

When I sorted it out I started launching them nicely. Imagine maybe an umbrella stuck in the ground up to your waist heihgt, finish against it with your stomach and legs then step forwards out of the shot in a well balanced manner.

alex57834

Club Champion
Visit site
Sorry I didn't get what you meant, I tried a few swings with my normal finishing pose and it was easy to walk a few steps. I tried rotating round my spinal axis and my head was staying back like you said and it was uncomfortable to walk.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You are correct in that your hips should be pushed forward and up with your head staying back behind the ball until just after impact when it pushes forward. Pushing your upper body and head forward through impact wil tend to produce those low and weaker ball flights.

the hants reaper

Club Champion
Visit site
Try teeing the ball up , that should help , check your shafts , may be too stiff , if all else fails get a pro with video cam to help you , advice on here is trying to be helpfull but i get the advise of the pro