Keep your head down - Myth?

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got a tip from here that works well for me - draw a dimple size dot on the ball and focus on it until the shot is complete

I feel it helps me stay still and stops me from getting ahead of the ball

Also I have a tendency to have an early peek at the hole when putting. To help with this in practice I put a small sticker (dot) on the green under the ball and focus on not looking up until the ball is gone and I can see the sticker

Hope it helps some of you

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I got a tip from here that works well for me - draw a dimple size dot on the ball and focus on it until the shot is complete

I feel it helps me stay still and stops me from getting ahead of the ball

Also I have a tendency to have an early peek at the hole when putting. To help with this in practice I put a small sticker (dot) on the green under the ball and focus on not looking up until the ball is gone and I can see the sticker

Hope it helps some of you

must get though a fair few green stickers out on the course, hope you don't hold up play too much doing this:rofl:

Matty6

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Had a lesson the other week and my coach noticed I had a lot of sway in my body and my head was bobbing all over the place. He told me to keep my head stable and maintain my height throughout the swing. This has done wonders for my ball striking. Hitting it so much cleaner than ever before. There is still some head movement, but so much less than previously.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I find my tempo is smooth and connected if I focus on a single dimple through impact. Doesn't mean I am keeping my head down in the strict sense of the word but find it stops me moving it about and the issues that can cause with a sway. Also lets me focus on a good rotation

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I find my tempo is smooth and connected if I focus on a single dimple through impact. Doesn't mean I am keeping my head down in the strict sense of the word but find it stops me moving it about and the issues that can cause with a sway. Also lets me focus on a good rotation

Precisely what I find 👍

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nike released a video of Tiger Woods in his heyday showing how much his head moved during the stoke. It was about 3 or 4" laterally.
However, it showed that his eyes were on the ball all the time, upto and including the moment of impact. After the ball has gone that's it.

I have often thought that if I take my eye of the ball, it take the opportunity to move to slightly different location.