Loss of distance

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Hi. Welcome along.
As a general rule you'll lose 1 yard per 3°F so with a difference of 30° you'd lose 10 yards purely due to temperature
And that's before any other variables are taken into account so the overall drop could be more.

timdabowler

Visit site
Hi. Welcome along.
As a general rule you'll lose 1 yard per 3°F so with a difference of 30° you'd lose 10 yards purely due to temperature
And that's before any other variables are taken into account so the overall drop could be more.
Thank you!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
a few of us are experimenting with soft compression balls, great for winter. no drop off in distance today from Callaway super soft and the Titleist tour soft.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
a few of us are experimenting with soft compression balls, great for winter. no drop off in distance today from Callaway super soft and the Titleist tour soft.
Can't help feeling this is a little misleading.

I certainly see a noticable reduction in carry distance between a summer day and, as an example, 5°. Doesn't matter whether it's a Srixon soft feel, Titeliest DT True soft or Callaway supersoft (the 3 I have used in both conditions this year)

timdabowler

Visit site
I agree with Duncan. I've used very low compression balls in this cold weather and even these balls are 10-15 yards less than warmer weather.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Interestingly enough, I had 129 to the flag at the first this morning, I hit a very solid 9 and was 25 feet short, in summer my 9 iron is on the 135-140 mark, today I hit it around 120, a good 15 yard drop off.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
To counter that, I hit a 7 iron 168 yards pin high at 13, not done that before, I was trying to leave it short of the flag.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Can't help feeling this is a little misleading.

I certainly see a noticable reduction in carry distance between a summer day and, as an example, 5°. Doesn't matter whether it's a Srixon soft feel, Titeliest DT True soft or Callaway supersoft (the 3 I have used in both conditions this year)
it was 10 deg here and even at that temp i would expect to have drop off from a premium ball. the two soft balls i used, tour soft and Super Soft, went summer distances still, in fact i found the super soft went further off the driver than the TS and the usual ProV1 i use in summer and comps. only ever used the Callaway Super soft with Hickory clubs. yesterdays was a pink one at that also proved very easy o spot through the air and on the ground. mighty impressed with them, even the stopping power, but part of that may have been that Dunbar is off mats.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
it was 10 deg here and even at that temp i would expect to have drop off from a premium ball. the two soft balls i used, tour soft and Super Soft, went summer distances still, in fact i found the super soft went further off the driver than the TS and the usual ProV1 i use in summer and comps. only ever used the Callaway Super soft with Hickory clubs. yesterdays was a pink one at that also proved very easy o spot through the air and on the ground. mighty impressed with them, even the stopping power, but part of that may have been that Dunbar is off mats.

I haven't found too much drop of either (use the same ball) but I don't think its cold enough - I notice little between 10 and 20 degrees...now 0-5 is a different matter. Also agree that mats are helping, at times getting a flyer and going further than it should......I'm experimenting with mats

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of the other factors when it comes to cold weather for many of us is that we simply cannot swing the club as fast with all the extra clothing on and because of colder muscles.

I reckon on losing about 25-30% distance in the cold (ie below about 8 degrees).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
One of the other factors when it comes to cold weather for many of us is that we simply cannot swing the club as fast with all the extra clothing on and because of colder muscles.

I reckon on losing about 25-30% distance in the cold (ie below about 8 degrees).
wow that's a big drop. i would expect maybe 5 to 15 yards at most depending on the temp etc

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It depends on what ones idea of cold is. It never gets cold enough to stop me from playing although I did once after just 4 holes and 3 golf balls that had cracked open.

To my daughter anything under 20 degrees is cold.