Losing streak in matchplay

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
How do you cope with a losing streak? I’ve got an abysmal team matchplay record for this year so far, last year was just about ok and but the previous two years were really good.

I’ve played 7 matches and only won 2, I fare better in club knockouts when I’m not in a team.

Before anyone says we are playing for fun and there are people worse off, yes I know that but I’m getting a bit despondent about playing.

It doesn’t make any difference if I’m giving or receiving shots!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It can't all be your fault can it? If you're playing in pairs that perhaps you've just not gelled well with your teammate or found the ideal playing partner yet. And winning 2 out of 7 isn't that bad, if just one went the other way you'd be looking at nearly 50%. Can't win 'em all. :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I did have a good record in club matches but have struggled in the last few years. We play pairs matchplay and I tend to get different partners each time so sometimes hard to gel. Annoying as my own partner usually plays but the captain picks his best line up as he sees fit. I just enjoy playing in the games and as long as the team wins it doesn't matter as much these days although always nice to bring a point home. I think in the last 2 years I've played 9, W3 L4 and H2 so not a devastating record. I have a rubbish solo record and rarely get past round one in club knockouts

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I had a dodgy match play record a couple of years ago. Played one of my mates a few times with a couple of extra shots just to get back in the habit of winning a game going up the last few holes. Sounds a bit ridiculous, but (touch wood) I've been pretty decent since. He still gives me stick about it, mind...

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't fret over it. if you think you are going to get beat you probably will.
I have a very good record playing for the club, but one course beats me up and I have lost there 4 times out of 4, which probably gets in my head a bit when I play there.

rosie

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks all, I’m fine if it’s an individual match, ie not part of a team, I’m fine if it’s 4bb matchplay, it’s just as part of a team playing individual matches. I need to stop putting pressure on myself to not let the team down.
I always get the player in the low 20s handicap region that’s been playing for years and has the short game of a 12 handicapper! Need to polish up my match play skills and short game 😁

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks all, I’m fine if it’s an individual match, ie not part of a team, I’m fine if it’s 4bb matchplay, it’s just as part of a team playing individual matches. I need to stop putting pressure on myself to not let the team down.
I always get the player in the low 20s handicap region that’s been playing for years and has the short game of a 12 handicapper! Need to polish up my match play skills and short game 😁

That's the opposite of me 12 (well 11) handicapper with a short game of a 20 something handicapper.