Lorry drives through crowd in Nice!

D

Deleted Member 1156

I fear for all the good, law abiding Muslims in France. The nutters will want retribution soon after all that has happened there in the last few months and they will lash out and more innocent people will suffer.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
I fear for all the good, law abiding Muslims in France. The nutters will want retribution soon after all that has happened there in the last few months and they will lash out and more innocent people will suffer.

the thing is, thats one of the things they want, the innocent muslims to feel ostracized then potentially to turn to ISIS or whatever, thus growing their 'army'. The world is a sorry place right now with stuff like this going on. My Mrs hates my job now, in the past 3 months i have been in every European city where horrors like this have occurred.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Do you really think people are doing nothing ?

The driver was known to police but not considered a terrorist threat. This to me sadly suggests that perhaps various agencies in France aren't sharing information as freely as perhaps we do in the UK and had French anti-terrorism forces known he may have been watched or flagged.

Sadly nowhere is terrorist proof as last night, previous French attacks and the killing of tourists on a beach show. However the only way any country has of doing anything proactively is to have the greatest amount of information available and act upon it. I guess that comes down to cost, manpower and co-operation between agencies and nations.

No simple answer of course and with 10 children amongst the dead a tragic loss of life. To me it's about being as prepared and ready as you can be and listening to some news reports this morning it's perhaps something the different police and intelligence services hadn't done well

U

User62651

Given what's gone on in France over the last year wrt terrorism and having just held a major international football tournament I would be surprised if France did not have the most up to date, informed, advanced, internationally-connected anti-terrorism service of anywhere in the world.
BUT someone hires a truck out of town, that's not going to be flagged up or raise eyebrows as a potential terrorist event (but may well now). There are millions of French people of north african/arabic descent, its a multi racial country, you cannot prejudge all French muslims to have terrorist inclinations, muslims suffer more at the hands of terrorism than any other group after all.
Massively complicated issue that can only be resolved through political discussion and compromise by all, not bombs....imo.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
A similar kind of attack happened in Germany during the FIFA World Championshop in 2006, when a driver drove his car into a crowd at a public viewing event in Berlin. Consequences were less severe, I think 25 people were injured, but no one killed, thankfully. Police and media were very quick at the time to assure everyone that it had not been a terrorist attack, but just the act of a lunatic who wanted attention. The driver was German without any migration background. Now in Nice, before anything was really known for a fact about that guy, Hollande had already declared it a terrorist attack and prolonged the official state of emergency, just based on the fact that the truck driver in this case comes from Franco-Tunisian background.

Seriously, up to this point, there is nothing that connects this guy to politically motivated terrorism, let alone the IS. And there is nothing which empowers the IS more than jumping to conclusions like that. They don't even have to do their own attacks anymore or claim they did them. People will just assume it anyway. It's madness.

Please lets all calm down and wait to see what is really behind this. Maybe there really is a connection to islamistic terrorism. But maybe it was just a very misguided loner who had a very bad day (like that co-pilot that crashed the Germanwings plane into the mountain last year, for example ... stuff like that happens ... completely without political motive). Let's not pour more oil into the flames until we know.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
The driver was known to police but not considered a terrorist threat. This to me sadly suggests that perhaps various agencies in France aren't sharing information as freely as perhaps we do in the UK and had French anti-terrorism forces known he may have been watched or flagged.

He was known as a petty criminal with a history of a couple of crimes. none related to terrorism.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im in Nice. If we had not left where we were stood we would have been in the exact spot where the truck drove through the crowds. We decided to go for a beer one street back after the fireworks had finished and were were sat outside a bar when people came running past crying and screaming for us to run. It was horrific. Like something you would see in a film.

Today has been surreal. Obviously the stretch of road is closed and the police presence strong, but in the main people are getting on with their daily lives. Everyone we have spoken to mentions 'what if's?' What if we hadnt decided to go for a beer? What if we had decided to take a walk along the front back to our hotel ?

I feel lucky but very saddened.. Im avoiding the news as i saw some footage on twitter that i quickly wanted to unsee.....They are saying here it was one crazed man. A Tunisian born Nice resident but they have not said if its linked to any organisation. Fly home tonight.....hopefully.

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im in Nice. If we had not left where we were stood we would have been in the exact spot where the truck drove through the crowds. We decided to go for a beer one street back after the fireworks had finished and were were sat outside a bar when people came running past crying and screaming for us to run. It was horrific. Like something you would see in a film.

Today has been surreal. Obviously the stretch of road is closed and the police presence strong, but in the main people are getting on with their daily lives. Everyone we have spoken to mentions 'what if's?' What if we hadnt decided to go for a beer? What if we had decided to take a walk along the front back to our hotel ?

I feel lucky but very saddened.. Im avoiding the news as i saw some footage on twitter that i quickly wanted to unsee.....They are saying here it was one crazed man. A Tunisian born Nice resident but they have not said if its linked to any organisation. Fly home tonight.....hopefully.

Really good to hear you're ok Andy. It must be absolutely surreal to have been there. Hope you get home ok 👍

gregbwfc

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Jesus mate, safe trip home.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Terrible events last night, France is getting hit very hard by terrorism.

No easy solution alas, hate to say it but this will keep happening until Iraq/Syria/Afhanistan/Libya/Tunisia/Algeria/Egypt etc etc are back under oppressive military dictatorial rule and the western forces clear out, only way to keep control there. Israel needs to ceed land back to Palestinians too. Saddam/Ghaddafi/Assad and their ilk were/are better than the current situation, at least for us, and probably for their own peoples too. Digitally the web needs to somehow get policed better from within those trouble areas by their own regimes too, controlling propaganda and communication of troublemakers. Will they be Police states? - Yes but that's the only way to exercise any kind of societal control over there it seems.:(

I think much of what you say is right.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site

Glad you are ok. The "what if's?" can be scary. Small things suddenly take on a very big importance for lots of people.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Police have recently arrested a man who was at the vigil tonight brandishing a machete!!

D

Deleted member 16999

Glad you're OK fella, awful experience for you's to go through.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

My god mate. Val was in Paris last year as well, when the shootings happened. Glad your ok.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the good wishes all. Got home in the early hours. Me and the missus still a bit numb....... but we know we were the lucky ones.