Looking to change course - Around TN/CR/BR Post code area's

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At the moment I am a member of my local pay and play which runs a swindle as its membership. It’s a nice low key set up and generally good fun. Lowish numbers of around 40-50 member’s means it easy to remember everyone and there are some right good blokes there to have a laugh with on a Sunday morning. We get good selection of comps for our money and after 6 months of being there I am now lucky enough to be representing the club in the daily mail classics, and have been asked to enter the surrey 5'’ team them too. The mega bonus of this set up is you pay for the days you play, no booking in is required and when the course is closed you don’t feel like your losing money. The great bit is that the course is within 3 miles of my house too…..

There are only a couple of downsides to playing my golf in this manor.

Cost: With green fee’s being £26.00 per go, 50 rounds a year cost me £1300, this doesn’t include range sessions as the club has no practice ground other than a putting green, Ive worked this out to be around £400.00 a year, and then any twilight games through the summer are additional too. I cant help but think that now I’m playing regular I would without doubt get a better value for money by joining a local members course.

I’ve short listed it to the below, but I’m open for any feedback:

Westerham - @ £1500 a year I must say I love the course. But every time I play there the course seems fairly busy and if I am honest I don’t like the idea of having to book tee times. Isnt this the point of being a member of a private course. Also I know they like societies & green fees at weekends and this is something I feel shouldn’t happen on a members course. Guests yes, but societies are a no no for me.

Woldingham @ £1200 a year and again I like the course. Playing it as it is itended to be played can have some challenging bunkers and slopes, but for me the course is too open and not punishing enough for wayward wild tee shots.

Cherry Lodge @ £1200 a year, I’ve heard good things from people who have played the course, the only downside I have heard is the face that it doesn’t take the water well in the winter. – Looking for feedback on this one.

Parkwood. @ £1140.00 a year. Now I like this course with the exception of 3 holes which I think are a bit bland, it doesn’t allow societies or green fee’s at weekends until gone 11am so it’s a happy medium because no societies and holding societies. It has Reciprocal golf in place at Bletchingley, Cherry Lodge and Woodlands Manor Golf and is short listed as one of my favourites.

Northdowns @ £995 a year. Now this club is attracting me for one big reason, it’s a members only club, no tee booking, no green fees at weekends and no societies at weekends. Their welcome pack shows 2 or 3 roll ups at different times on Saturday and Sunday mornings, and I’m hoping being on the top of the downs should means it dry’s quicker in the wet months

My short list is really between park wood and north downs if im honest.

So the question is are there any clubs local to me in Croydon that I have over looked who offer some of the points I have covered, and more importantly are people aware of any deals they are doing for new members.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I pass Shirley Park Golf club on my way to watch the mighty Eagles, they are doing a deal around their membership joining fees. I dont know about the course but presumable OS you have played it?

Chris

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
chris, i was a member of shirley park as a junior (15-18) then in my early 20's (21-23), i left just as they were revamping the course reshaping bunkers etc.

Shirley park was a great place to play as a junior but it suffered in a few places

7th, 9th, 10th, 13th, 15th suffered bad in the winter and would be watter logged, and in the winter they would shut the course pretty easily. I know this was no doubt to protect the course, but at the same time its nice to still be playing during the wet months. In my opinion the course was shut too much which is what ruled me out of going back.

I know when i left as a junior and went back they wavered the joining fee, but as ive been away from the club for around 6/7 years if i went back id also be liable to for £970 rejoining fee. ( see http://www.shirleyparkgolfclub.co.uk/info.php?id=62 )

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
just checked out the site and the course looks amazing, what i find strange is there is no fee's on their site. Ive got an idea that if its the course i think it is then its over my budget.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
just checked out the site and the course looks amazing, what i find strange is there is no fee's on their site. Ive got an idea that if its the course i think it is then its over my budget.

It is a great course and probably pricey. But got to be worth a call to the Secretary.

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Just had a look at the English Golf Union website and it lists Gents Full Membership at £1,055 per annum with a £600 joining fee.

Not as bad as I feared!

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It is well worth putting on your shortlist. It is a lovely course. It may look easy from the card but it is anything but.

You have to plot your way round very accurately or you're in trouble. Definitely not a course you can overpower. You've got to be accurate and smart.

That rules me out! :)

Is it far from you?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
It's worth asking for a curtesy round with a member to check out whether you would want to join. I am sure any good club would oblige

Chris

HRC99

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
HCR, just checked out their diary, it seems alot of comps are aimed at the vets or ladies... not alot of comps for the normal golfer

I'd be a bit wary about taking a decision based on that. If you were to look at our diary, there are seemingly more events for Ladies and EGGS but there's still a very full calendar for Men.

As Chris said, if you like the look of the course, it's worth a call or a visit.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's worth asking for a curtesy round with a member to check out whether you would want to join. I am sure any good club would oblige

Chris

funny enought ive just requested this with 2 courses, but ive asked for it to be in with their weekly roll up so i can see what the members a like too.