Looking to change career - Class 2 driver

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Looking for some advice from the masses... I was made redundant last Summer and received a decent redundancy (that paid off all debts and some left over). I immediately got a new job in a similar industry, but I'm now thinking that this was a mistake as I'm really not enjoying either the work, or the long hours (keeping me off the course :D ), and as I don't really need to chase the money anymore, then I'm wondering why I'm doing it?

I've been having a think, and I'm considering going for my Class 2 Driving License. Find 12 months of work through an agency, then try to find full time work somewhere local..

Basically, I'm looking for advice from anyone that has either moved into this career, or has always worked in this profession.. Any decent training agencies in the North West of England? Qualifications I should look for? Pitfalls I need to avoid?

Thanks for reading..

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Apologies if already aware but you will also need to obtain a Driver Qualification Card in order to drive for Hire or Reward in addition to the actual driving licence. 35 hours training, probably at your expense unless you can get a freebie off of someone (usually a local authority), Exchanging Places type cycling schemes sometimes qualify. Lasts I believe for 5 years, renewable with a further 35 hours of training, which will cost you or your employer again. It's been 4 years since I got mine so it may have been fine-tuned but that is as I remember it.

D

Deleted member 17920

Looking for some advice from the masses... I was made redundant last Summer and received a decent redundancy (that paid off all debts and some left over). I immediately got a new job in a similar industry, but I'm now thinking that this was a mistake as I'm really not enjoying either the work, or the long hours (keeping me off the course :D ), and as I don't really need to chase the money anymore, then I'm wondering why I'm doing it?

I've been having a think, and I'm considering going for my Class 2 Driving License. Find 12 months of work through an agency, then try to find full time work somewhere local..

Basically, I'm looking for advice from anyone that has either moved into this career, or has always worked in this profession.. Any decent training agencies in the North West of England? Qualifications I should look for? Pitfalls I need to avoid?

Thanks for reading..
Danny,

Go on trucknet to see how much drivers hate their jobs, long hrs is part of a drivers daily routine and the hourly wage is poor when your working 60hrs a week.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A lot of lads that finished at the pit last year through redundancy managed to get funding to go onto driving courses through the local job centres. If you are looking into driving class two use there/ our money and not yours if possible.
My lad did his class two and loved it, he started through agencies and it was a Royal pita. He ended up working for two or three agencies to get work which in one sense was good, but his tax was all over the place and cause him major pain. Furthermore, one of the agencies provided drivers for the massive COOP distribution centre at junction 28 on the M1. He did dozens of shifts for them, he knew there system inside out. Went for an interview and mentioned he had done work for the COOP through an agency. They did not offer him a job because the COOP would of had to pay couple of grand to the agency to release him. So an agency who never contributed a penny to his training which he paid for himself through a bank loan in essence stopped him getting full time employment.

He then paid for his class one through another bank loan and works for NFT he loves it but the hours are long, very long and would be a nightmare if he had a family or played golf. But again he loves it.

Finally, some of the companies, safety wise were scarey, very scarey. Others have been excellent. Good luck me man.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I also considered this Dan, but having worked in the industry for 4 months, probably wouldnt go for it.

There are more and more regulation, KPI's and things already in, or coming in.

I was at a customers recently and they have all sorts of things tracking drivers time, location, fuel economy, speed and other stuff. Sometimes you also have to pay for damage to the truck also.

I also considered being a driving instructor - havent ruled that one out yet, though.

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a class 1 HGV Licence (C+E)
I don't use it though, as it's a terrible way to make a living.
Long hours for rubbish money.
The ever present danger of points on your licence.
Getting nicked for overloading (overweight)
Road weight restrictions.
Horrendous traffic congestion.
Strict limitations on driving time
Some very dodgy haulage firms
Medicals every 5 years (yearly after 60)
Timed delivery's (they won't except the load if you are late)
I could go on & on
There are a very good reasons why there is a national shortage of HGV drivers.

Birchy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I also considered this Dan, but having worked in the industry for 4 months, probably wouldnt go for it.

There are more and more regulation, KPI's and things already in, or coming in.

I was at a customers recently and they have all sorts of things tracking drivers time, location, fuel economy, speed and other stuff. Sometimes you also have to pay for damage to the truck also.

I also considered being a driving instructor - havent ruled that one out yet, though.

You cannot be serious! :D

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Mate has done it for years. He hates the long hours. At least an hour to load up, queuing with the rest of the depot. Two 4.5hr drives with a 45min break in the middle, then unloading. 12-13hr day. Out at 6 in the morning and back home after 6 at night.

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
:D Ha, looks like it's back to the drawing board. Oh well, it gives me something to think about on the course this afternoon.... ;)

Didnt someone on here change career and trained to be a crane operator? while not for me! It looks a cool interesting job!

MrBrightside

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Didnt someone on here change career and trained to be a crane operator? while not for me! It looks a cool interesting job!

I work in construction, and must being a crane operator would not appeal - even less so for all the same reasons as a wagon driver:

Long hours
Working away from home
Long periods of inactivity
crap money
high risk
lots of training
princepal contractor BS