Looking for somewhere (relatively) dry in the NE

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Our place has been shut all week, and with more rain due today and tomorrow, can't see that changing.

The forecast for Friday looks dry, so we going to try to get a game somewhere else. I'm in Whitley Bay and my playing partner is in Seaton Sluice.

Newbiggin is the obvious option, but we played that to death last winter, so looking for somewhere else. The added complication is I'm heading down to Hartlepool straight after for a gig, so don't really want to be going too far north.

Any suggestions welcome!

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our place has been shut all week, and with more rain due today and tomorrow, can't see tIhat changing.

The forecast for Friday looks dry, so we going to try to get a game somewhere else. I'm in Whitley Bay and my playing partner is in Seaton Sluice.

Newbiggin is the obvious option, but we played that to death last winter, so looking for somewhere else. The added complication is I'm heading down to Hartlepool straight after for a gig, so don't really want to be going too far north.

Any suggestions welcome!
I'd suggest either Hartlepool or Seaton. The latter is on mandatory fairway-mats or place on the first cut, don't know about 'Pool...... also at Seaton there's lately been some some long queues on the 1st tee due to so many NE courses being restricted/closed & Brass Castle & Rockcliffe members making use of the reciprocal arrangement as well additional 'Winter Members' we've gained.
I don't know it but I've heard good reports about Sharpley GC however all of these will be in demand given that Fri is about the only decent day this week, & why I'll be at Seaton either Fri or Sat am....... Good luck

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
what about Goswick, used to be a few guys on here (a long time ago) they maybe able to give more details of what its like in winter

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Dunstanburgh and Goswick too far north as need to drive to Hartlepool directly afterwards, will look at the other suggestions, thanks.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
We're on full greens & tees. Bunkers are sometime GUR but it's remarkably playable. Possibly temporary greens early on Friday until the frost clears.

Cheers Bill, I think it's a toss up between your place and Blyth.

Have never played the latter, so no real idea of how good or bad it will be, but it is open today, on a mix of temps and main greens. It is carry only, which probably gives a clue as to how wet it is.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers Bill, I think it's a toss up between your place and Blyth.

Have never played the latter, so no real idea of how good or bad it will be, but it is open today, on a mix of temps and main greens. It is carry only, which probably gives a clue as to how wet it is.

Blyth is inland parkland course
Will be wet...!! 👎

Wouldn't be going there in winter

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Dry enough for you, Dave?

Your course was in great condition, never saw a puddle or any boggy ground all day, which was incredible given just about every other course nearby was shut.

The only problem we had was being blinded by the sun on a couple of the closing holes - at least that's my excuse for not being able to find my drives on both of them :)

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Your course was in great condition, never saw a puddle or any boggy ground all day, which was incredible given just about every other course nearby was shut.

The only problem we had was being blinded by the sun on a couple of the closing holes - at least that's my excuse for not being able to find my drives on both of them :)
Real problem this time of the year. It shouldn't put you off but it often does.