Looking for a realistic handicap goal

Japli

Visit site
Bit of background, I have played golf for about 10 years, but only in the form of 5-10 games a year, without taking it too seriously but with a few lessons. I’d aim to shoot 100 when playing then, and now I have joined a club and play at least 3/4 times a week, I aim to play bogey golf but I’d say I average 25 over with my best being 8 over on 9 holes.
I want to set an aim for how much I shoot in about 6 months time but have no idea what would be realistic, I feel I have it in me to shoot 90 consistently but at the moment my drive is inconsistent but I’m planning to have lessons to help with that and I have a tendency to lose focus on a couple of holes a round and get triple bogeys or even higher that affects my round.
Just wondering what a realistic goal should be for me for about 6 months progress.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Everyone's progress is different so it's hard to say. But maybe you could go back over your last couple of rounds and count how many shots you lost to things that you think are easily fixable - like maybe poor decisions, or leaving putts short. Total them up and say it makes 10, then you can look to drop your handicap/scores by 10? Whereas other lost shots might be harder to fix so you target them over a longer period.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bogey golf is a common target.

Add 1 to every par and play the hole to that new par, don’t go chasing real birdies yet!

I did that last round and with a terrible short game shot 15 over on a course I hadn’t played before and didn’t take the right lines.

Don’t be afraid to lay up, even on shorter par 4s and long par 3s. Just get around the green in normal regulation.

Once you can play solid bogey golf start going for a few more greens from distance to lower your handicap.

You will probably find your actual pars will even out the double bogeys and you will keep triples off your card more easily.

All the 7-5 iron practice off the deck laying up will actually pay off later when your longer tee shots need those clubs to go for proper green in regulation! It’s a no loss approach!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Add 1 to every par and play the hole to that new par, don’t go chasing real birdies yet!

I did that last round and with a terrible short game shot 15 over on a course I hadn’t played before and didn’t take the right lines.

Don’t be afraid to lay up, even on shorter par 4s and long par 3s. Just get around the green in normal regulation.

Once you can play solid bogey golf start going for a few more greens from distance to lower your handicap.

You will probably find your actual pars will even out the double bogeys and you will keep triples off your card more easily.

All the 7-5 iron practice off the deck laying up will actually pay off later when your longer tee shots need those clubs to go for proper green in regulation! It’s a no loss approach!

I like a similar approach however a slight tweek

Every hole a par 5

Real shots to be made on par 3s then and par 5s (real one) are usually achievable with in play shots

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Bit of background, I have played golf for about 10 years, but only in the form of 5-10 games a year, without taking it too seriously but with a few lessons. I’d aim to shoot 100 when playing then, and now I have joined a club and play at least 3/4 times a week, I aim to play bogey golf but I’d say I average 25 over with my best being 8 over on 9 holes.
I want to set an aim for how much I shoot in about 6 months time but have no idea what would be realistic, I feel I have it in me to shoot 90 consistently but at the moment my drive is inconsistent but I’m planning to have lessons to help with that and I have a tendency to lose focus on a couple of holes a round and get triple bogeys or even higher that affects my round.
Just wondering what a realistic goal should be for me for about 6 months progress.

I'd say don't worry about setting a handicap goal, but set a performance goal.

For example, maybe use an app to track some basic stats. Then work out the best way you can save shots. If you're hitting 40 putts a round, then that should be a good chance to save some shots. If you are missing every fairway right, then either aim further left or try and avoid hitting driver when there is no room down the right.

or maybe you will identify a hole you always make a 7 or 8 on. Think back from the green how you could play that hole to give yourself an easy bogey and not bring big risks into play.

When you identify 1 or 2 main areas for improvement, you can perhaps focus on practising on those areas and you should almost certainly see improvement in your scores. Maybe try setting aside 30 minutes before every round to practise putting or chipping etc rather than just going straight onto the course.

Your handicap is your handicap and is always going to be limited by your ability to score and manage your game, so try and improve your ability and the handicap will look after itself.

Last edited:

The Fader

Visit site
In my experience it is your bad holes which dictate your final score rather than your good holes.

An old pro told me the secret to improving when starting the game was turning uglies into bogeys. Uglies usually come about by poor course management.

As said earlier any doubles will be likely be offset by a couple of pars - so aim to score no worse than double bogey on any hole even if that means playing conservatively to avoid those card wreckers.

Many higher handicappers ruin potentially good rounds trying for "hero" shots rather than taking their medicine and playing back into position. i.e. Poor course management.

From what you say OP - I don't think regularly shooting around 90 would be an unrealistic target for the next 6 months

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
6 months, currently shooting in the 90s, sounds like the perfect recipe for a new blog and a "quest" to me, maybe even a youtube channel. :sneaky: If you're not trying to get to scratch in a year only to burn yourself out and end up hating the game, you're doing it wrong.

Seriously, the suggestions above are sound. Concentrate on small incremental improvements, eliminating the single-hole shockers via good course management. If you're going to work on your game then identify the areas you need to improve on and work on them, don't waste time going to the range and working solely on your strengths because it's more fun.

Japli

Visit site

It’s interesting, I would say I rely on my strength which is hitting the ball far, I make quite a few pars and birdies this way and this keeps my score down, should I continue with this or aim to play more cautiously?

D

Deleted member 25172

It’s interesting, I would say I rely on my strength which is hitting the ball far, I make quite a few pars and birdies this way and this keeps my score down, should I continue with this or aim to play more cautiously?

Hitting the ball far is a double edged sword. I can hit the ball a fair distance myself and it’s all fine when you’re on your day, but when the driver is misbehaving, that is where I lose my shots as a missed drive will put me right in the s*it having to knock it out sideways, or even worse, 3 off the tee. (Well I’m terrible at putting as well, so lose a few shots there as well...)

Keep it in play and then shave the shots off on and around the green.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site

Continue whacking it. If it's your strength, play to it and then work on the other areas of your game so that you can scramble a decent score when the driving does go awry.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
In my experience it is your bad holes which dictate your final score rather than your good holes.

An old pro told me the secret to improving when starting the game was turning uglies into bogeys. Uglies usually come about by poor course management.
Many higher handicappers ruin potentially good rounds trying for "hero" shots rather than taking their medicine and playing back into position. i.e. Poor course management.
Very sensible approach - and should result in a good chance of a 'Bogey Golf' handicap.
When you get in trouble, the key thing to do is get back on the fairway. Preferably in reach of the green with (at most) a 7 or 8 iron in 1 over 'regulation', but if that entails a 'risky' shot, then it's almost never worth it! Then it's down to your putting - avoiding costly 3-putts!

Oh, and practicing putting and the short game is always worthwhile!

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You say your driving is inconsistent so set a target For FIR which is easy to monitor.

A bit more effort is to give yourself 2pts for a fairway hit, 1pt for 1st cut.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Level 5 golf (90 shots) isn't a bad target and what you win on the par 3's and short par 4's you'll lose on the par 5's and longer par 4's. Look at where you are losing shots and which holes cause a problem. If you can work on your short game from 100 yards in then it'll definitely save you shots. There is no realistic target as we'll all different. I always play in competitions and if I am playing well know that the handicap cuts will take care of themselves. Just go out and do what you can on nay given day

Jaco

Medal Winner
Visit site
I agree with the comments about bogey golf being sensible, but it’s surprisingly difficult to stick to even when you play alone. You score a few bogeys, then a par, and then you think “well if I can hit this 6 iron 180 yards, and shape it round that tree, I’m on the green”. That’s what happens to me, and a triple bogey ensues. I stuck to it the other day and after four holes was was par for the course. I finished on 42 (9 hole course, par 35), so actually did better than my target. Tried again last week, scored 51, but never mind.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with the comments about bogey golf being sensible, but it’s surprisingly difficult to stick to even when you play alone. You score a few bogeys, then a par, and then you think “well if I can hit this 6 iron 180 yards, and shape it round that tree, I’m on the green”. That’s what happens to me, and a triple bogey ensues. I stuck to it the other day and after four holes was was par for the course. I finished on 42 (9 hole course, par 35), so actually did better than my target. Tried again last week, scored 51, but never mind.

Agreed but playing level 5's I found changed that. Get a few under to that particular par as opposed to the card is fine but then have a 7 or 8 on a par 4 (as will happen at the OP's level) then it'll perhaps put you back a bit but then make a 3 (or 4) and suddenly the world looks a better place. It's about setting a level of expectation

MrC

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am similar standard and was looking to take much more seriously this year but COVID has delayed that a little.

Handicap is one measure and it’s the one everyone is consistently measured on however

In my opinion you can play well and score bad (e.g. good choice, hit solid but get unlucky or 2/3 putt) and you can also play rubbish and score well (chip in, lucky bounce, miles away from where you aimed but still have a shot)

Instead you could focus on the shots you take. Be honest with yourself did you hit the shot good, average or bad. Average is unique to you. Then look at the bad and see any trends to why it is happening.

I have posted threads about hybrid and the reason for me is....

Driver - pretty good for my ability 220-250 yards. 2 out of 5 in good position in fairway. 2 out of 5 very playable. 1 out 5 in a bit trouble but only the occasional real horror (lost ball)

Irons solid enough. Mostly average with slight draw/hook with 5/6 irons and slight push with 7-sw. Bad miss is a chunk especially with water in front...

Heavenwood - all over the place. Could be left or could be right. When I started keeping notes I become scared to use as it was costing me 2 extra shots every time I used It. Last couple of rounds driver then 5 iron and nothing in between and I have played so much better. Hoping 3 hybrid will fill gap.

measure how you play and then your handicap will take care of itself in time

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
It’s interesting, I would say I rely on my strength which is hitting the ball far

That is up to you, in the end your scores below your hole target need to be more frequent than those above. So more pars than double bogeys for bogey golf. If you take that to the next level out, so more birdies than doubles then it’s your par to bogey ration that still defines your score.

When the risk is low go for the birdie with your strength, otherwise use it to secure a safe bogey or par. How much risk depends on your target score.

I really take very little risks and this means my birdie chances are few but also I can keep my double bogey count down and almost eliminate 7s from the card. I have played less than 20 full rounds in three years but can still knock it round in the mid 80s off the yellows.

I keep my eye in at the local par 3 and the occasional range session but I just don’t get the course time to get better.

In the end what is the most important is you put together a solid game plan and stick to it, I try hard to stick to mine but occasional I get caught up and take too much risk. It takes a very strong mind to stick to a game plan for 18 holes as you keep feeling your leaving something out there unnecessarily but you are not.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That is a big part of golf - course management and knowing what your limitations are. Of course there are times when it's fun to take on the Seve miracle shot but that wouldn't be in a competition (in my opinion) where I'd be looking to minimise the damage from a bad hole. Sometimes we have bad rounds and a 0.1 handicap increase is inevitable. I try and give myself a figure I'd consider acceptable whether that's a net 75 (+5) or similar and try and play towards that. Again it doesn't always work out as planned but I find it gives me more focus than simply taking on shots.

Diamond

Visit site
My goal has been to drive it straight off the tee with my driver and hybrid. I have put a lot of work in Including lessons and the range every day. Had a superb lesson on Monday and today went round in 98. Over the moon.