Longer Shaft Lengths In Irons

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I’ve always played with standard length irons but I’m considering buying a 2nd hand set that are .25 of an inch longer than standard! Will I really notice any difference in 6mm or so longer shafts or will the problem be all in my head?

It’s an online purchase so no I can’t hit them before buying!

My thinking is if I get the lie checked and sorted when I first get them they should be ok or am I really missing something here over the sake of 6mm?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
for 6mm you can always grip down a fraction

as someone whos adjusted the length of clubs a lot over the years id bet if you didnt know you wouldnt have realised, as you say now its in your head you might. if you really had to you could always have them cut down and then regripped (but a lot easier and cheaper just to grip down a fraction)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So I’ve always played with standard length irons but I’m considering buying a 2nd hand set that are .25 of an inch longer than standard! Will I really notice any difference in 6mm or so longer shafts or will the problem be all in my head?

It’s an online purchase so no I can’t hit them before buying!

My thinking is if I get the lie checked and sorted when I first get them they should be ok or am I really missing something here over the sake of 6mm?

all my clubs have been standard Length/Lie in Mizuno. last time i tried irons JPX919 i really struggled to hit them well at all, then the Mizuno guy mentioned they were 1/4 longer and upright, same as other OEMs CB offering it became clear why i'd never got on with any of the other irons i'd tried. i would have said 1/4 would make little difference, but it did.

if they are a bargain get them and get them changed, which shouldn't be an issue if they are forged heads. you could play with them for a while and if you don't get used to them then get them changed

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies guys, I can’t imagine .25 of an inch is too noticeable but as I thought and you have confirmed just knowing it will most likely play havoc with my already fried brain and lead to doubt over every shot so I think I will give them a miss and keep an eye out for another set.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've had mad aidys 1 and half inch mp33s. Funnily enough they were fine up to the short irons which felt comical.

My brother is 6 foot 3 and he likes them. He usually plays 1 inch over.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you could notice the difference I would be amazed.

How many times do you position the club in yours hands in exactly the same position? I bet it varies by quarter of an inch.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The correct lie angle is important and if you grip down you will affect it. Hitting the ground wigh the toe or heel will affect direction.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
The correct lie angle is important and if you grip down you will affect it. Hitting the ground wigh the toe or heel will affect direction.
This is not as important as people make out & ¼ of an inch or gripping down a bit will have no material effect. You often see the pros gripping down by a couple of inches on some shots. Would the do that if the result was likely to be a bad shot.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is not as important as people make out & ¼ of an inch or gripping down a bit will have no material effect. You often see the pros gripping down by a couple of inches on some shots. Would the do that if the result was likely to be a bad shot.
Its OK as long as you adjust your stance. You really want the sole of the club to come down square, imagine the difference 1/4 inch toe down or up will make.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Having lots of time on my hands & being a Photoshop addict I did an exercise where I drew a pitching wedge shaft & head to scale & measured the effect of changing the lie angle. From my measurements, a flattening of 2º moves the very toe of the club down by 0.187" However, the toe of the club isn't mear the ground at address due to the shape of the head so I think that a difference of even 2º isn't going to make a lot of difference, if any, to the shot you get. Withe the average golfer's inconsistent swing any difference in lie angle is as likely to help as much as produce a bad shot.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its OK as long as you adjust your stance. You really want the sole of the club to come down square, imagine the difference 1/4 inch toe down or up will make.

You y want the toe to be slightly up at address to allow for the fact that the shaft will flex towards you in the swing . The old static guide used to 'you should able to slide a 2p pence or old penny under the toe to about a third of the way in'.

However as a club fitter said to me " how often on a golf course do you get a truly flat lie"