Long weekend in St Andrews - how many golf balls?!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A slightly odd question, I know and I'm fully prepared for the "how long is a piece of string?" answers......but here goes anyway....

I'm in the process of getting organised for a long weekend in St Andrews at the start of July.

I'm aiming to play 6 rounds of golf across the courses there (Jubilee, New, Castle, Eden and hopefully the Old!).

I'm guessing there is a reasonable possibility that I'm going to lose quite a few balls, but how many would you take with you if it were you?

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
TBH, I'm similar handicap and only lost one on the Old (played Old, New and Jubilee), they are very open.

Take a box. If you need more, buy some up there.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The New and Jubilee have places were it is quite easy to lose balls but the Old and Eden are more forgiving. Personally, I would take 2 in case I had to hit a provisional ;)

There are plenty of shops where you can top up though if needs be :thup:

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
If it's windy on the jube take a few, not played the castle so can't comment but the others you shouldn't lose much.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would probably scope out the courses, get a game plan in place and look for position off the tee. Also find out what’s tees they have and choose one to suit your ability.

More fun to play from the fairway than 20 yards up and 20 offline.

If your not one for irons and hybrids off the tee ignore my post.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Some folk worry too much... just go and play...

You cant walk 20 yards in St Andrews without seeing a golf shop! :D Plenty of places to stock up...

Last year the only ball I lost on the Old Course wasn't strictly lost... I know where it was exactly.... on the roof of the Old Course Hotel!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
if you do find yourself short of Balls, just pop down to the pub by the Hotel on 17, when you see 4 drives hit on the fairway, walk over pick them up. and hour there should see you set for the week and none of the players who's balls they were will be any the wiser:rofl:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some folk worry too much... just go and play...

You cant walk 20 yards in St Andrews without seeing a golf shop! :D Plenty of places to stock up...

Last year the only ball I lost on the Old Course wasn't strictly lost... I know where it was exactly.... on the roof of the Old Course Hotel!

Exactly what my wife said after sending two balls into the river on the 9th at Westwood. LOL