London

WGC2

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi all,

Going to London next week with my family and just wondering what there is to do at night time for a family? Your help would be much appreciated.

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seeing as your bringing the kids my route wouldnt be any good to you.

London Eye is great, but we stood in a queue for well over an hour when were went there. Wax works is enjoyable aswell.
We took our youngest there a few years ago and had a great evening in Planet Hollywood.

Dont do what I did the last time I was there. HID's and myself went to enter a bar, opp's, this big coloured guy stopped me in my tracks when he seen we were a couple, and said this is a gay bar you know. I wasn't long in turning round and going. So be carefull. Nothing against Gays, but it was the way the guy said it. When we finaly stopped a distance away from the bar we looked back and it had a big sign over the door saying GAY, specksavers here I come.

I love London, cant wait to go back.

Fore

Head Pro
Visit site
Neither of my 2 could get enough of London Zoo when they were younger and the Britsh Museum (probably takes a week to see everything) is also worth a visit. The mummy room is awesome and it was free. Not sure about evening times though.

Saying that, there is evening racing at Kempton and greyhound meetings where you seem to see children in attendance. A table at Kempton is not too expensive.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
We always do some shows. It's very costly (£50-60 per ticket) but they really are something.
If you are there and generally mooching around, pop into the box offices and see what's available. We've never not got into any. Most open at 10 or something and you can grab a return.
Natural History. Tower (we liked it). Hamley's. Lillywhites (for the cheap decent brand golf stuff). London Eye.

Don't go near Hamburger Union (if they still exist)
Try China Town for food.
IMAX? http://www.bfi.org.uk/whatson/bfi_imax

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Avoid Lillywhites. Its not the prestigious name it was and is now a giant Sports Direct. Very sad to see it in this state. I remember going to London with my mum as a kid and spending hours wandering round. They had a whole floor dedicated to golf with an in house pro. Now it really is a giant Sports Direct warehouse.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Avoid Lillywhites. Its not the prestigious name it was and is now a giant Sports Direct. Very sad to see it in this state. I remember going to London with my mum as a kid and spending hours wandering round. They had a whole floor dedicated to golf with an in house pro. Now it really is a giant Sports Direct warehouse.

Why? Last time I went, they had Odyssey putters, Callaway woods and some TM and Nike stuff.

If it wasn't for the fact I was broke at the time, I'd have snapped up all sorts. In fact, the time before I bought a Callaway bag for £30 that was £60 online.

I realise it IS a massive over-full sports direct, but there are some good deals on balls and clubs etc. if you can stand the heat of the place!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Last time I went (earlier this year) the golf section was crammed into a tiny space taking up less than quarter of the floor. Yes there was some good Cally stuff there but nowhere to try it out and all lined yp amongst Dunlop gear too. Like I say in the halcyon days (only about 5 years ago) there was a whole floor for golf. I guess its a sign of the pile it high and flog it cheap culture. And yes it is always bloody roasting in there. God knows what the staff have to put up with in the summertime

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would definitely go to Chinatown in the evening for soemthing to eat - loads of choice, not too pricey and a grteat atmosphere. If a show is too much, why not go to Odeon in Leicester Square and catch a film as that is where all the big premieres are held.

Depending on the weather go for a journey in a pedal rickshaw as they are great and better thyan the tube or bus.

Some good suggestions on here for the daytime - my kids are always fascinated by the Science Museum (free) as there is loads of interactive stuff for all ages.

One last place I would recommend is the chocolate bar in Harrods - the best cup of hot chocolate you will ever taste!

Have a great time :D

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lived here over 20 years and would say that most of the best things for kids are day-time things. (but how old they are does have a bearing). So, in addition to other suggestions...

The south bank is a good location. The Eye is great - get there reasonably early in the day & you won't have to queue. Nearby (ie practically adjacent) is the London aquarium. That's worth a look. Just round corner the BFI IMAX cinema - biggest flippin' screen you've ever seen (should be able to check the programme on-line).

A boat trip down the river is fun & will take you past most of the famous monuments & sights. Or, the London Duck - a "bus-cum-boat" which gives tour round the sights by land and river. (google London duck & you'll find their website).

Alternatively, if they'd like the ceremonial stuff you could go to the changing of the guard at Buckingham palace (11:30 - this time of year, every other day - odd days in Oct, even days in Nov). Leicester Square & Trocadero can be fun.

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you go on the Eye, book your tickets in advance on line, then you don't have to queue.
Science and Natural History Museum definitely worth a visit.
Covent Garden great for street entertainers.
OXO Tower great for a nice meal with great views.
A guided walking tour eg Jack the Ripper.

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi all,

Going to London next week with my family and just wondering what there is to do at night time for a family? Your help would be much appreciated.

There's not much going on, most things are shut by 7pm........just a big village really :rolleyes: