London Scottish

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Has any of the Surrey/London guys played London Scottish in Wimbledon. The membership fees are very reasonable for an 18 holer in London.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has any of the Surrey/London guys played London Scottish in Wimbledon. The membership fees are very reasonable for an 18 holer in London.

Yes as they share the course with my old course, Wimbledon Common. I think Pieman was a member (expect I'm wrong) in his younger days. Personally I found the atmosphere their side a little stuffy and preferred Wimbledon Common. Looking quickly at the fees I think WCGC comes out cheaper.

The plus side of the course, irrespective of what side you start from, are the quality of the greens and the drainage. The downsides are being common land the public has right of way (and some don't half know it) and you can't play Sunday or bank holiday afternoons.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes as they share the course with my old course, Wimbledon Common. I think Pieman was a member (expect I'm wrong) in his younger days. Personally I found the atmosphere their side a little stuffy and preferred Wimbledon Common. Looking quickly at the fees I think WCGC comes out cheaper.

The plus side of the course, irrespective of what side you start from, are the quality of the greens and the drainage. The downsides are being common land the public has right of way (and some don't half know it) and you can't play Sunday or bank holiday afternoons.

Ah thanks, didn't realise there were two clubs. Saw flyer for London Scottish at golf bidder (also wanted to say thank to you for telling me that golf bidder was local).

Not playing Sunday's could be a killer, but may venture for a round to see what it's like.

D

Deleted member 1418

Yes I was a junior member at LS....and we found Homer's lot over at WC even stuffier (😛 to you Homer!!!) 😂😂

Course was great though - very quirky. No bunkers, a few short, drivable par 4s countered by long, tough par 3s. And as Homer said, from memory drainage good and greens were great. Another downside was golfers have to wear red.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Yes I was a junior member at LS....and we found Homer's lot over at WC even stuffier (😛 to you Homer!!!) 😂😂

Course was great though - very quirky. No bunkers, a few short, drivable par 4s countered by long, tough par 3s. And as Homer said, from memory drainage good and greens were great. Another downside was golfers have to wear red.

Rather red top thing is a bit weird. Abby reasoning why the conservation society want golfers in red?

I don't mind a quirky course, it usually means you rarely have the same round twice.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Rather red top thing is a bit weird. Abby reasoning why the conservation society want golfers in red?

I don't mind a quirky course, it usually means you rarely have the same round twice.

Don't quote me, but I thought I saw/heard somewhere that in the wet, they no longer insist on a red waterproof top which use to be a bane to source unless you bought from the pro (a captive market somewhat and reflected in the prices) but to be honest once you've got a red jumper/golf shirt it isn't really that much of a pain to wear it. It's a bylaw of the common that golfers wear red (and vigorously enforced by the wardens).

Although it's short, and can be very scoreable, there is trouble lurking, especially for errant drives and is very tight. Some of the par threes are long (but play shorter than the card) but still require an accurate tee shot. It's well worth a wander around and see what you think. Personally I'd wander across to both clubs and get a feel for which one feels best to you.