London Golf show at Bluewater

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did.... I spent about half an hour in there. There was nothing I really needed to buy, the queues to do the simulator bits were too long.....so just wandered around and then left.

Shame. I wonder if Mike or the other GM guys are reading this thread. I don't know if it will affect their promotion / coverage of the event knowing so many people found the event to be a let down?

D

Deleted member 18121

Shame. I wonder if Mike or the other GM guys are reading this thread. I don't know if it will affect their promotion / coverage of the event knowing so many people found the event to be a let down?

To be honest I think it would be useful for them to ask the average joe what they want to see at the show.....whether that'll actually make them any money or not may be the issue.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect what people actually want is, maybe, unrealistic. They want an equivalent of the press shows in Harrogate and Orlando. They want all the big names showing off all of the latest gear with chances to try it all out. They want all of the big clothing and shoe manufacturers showing off all of their wares with the chance to try and buy and I suspect that a few freebies handed out and a few chances to win the latest kit would not go amiss. Add in some demos and shows and maybe the odd live interview with some pros and you would have a hit.
Without something like that, I really think that the whole idea of a Golf Show, especially one that charges admission, is a bit of a dead duck. Who wants to walk round a hall being sold holidays and memberships, who wants to queue for the chance to hit the odd club and who wants to be sold last year’s gear that they can buy anywhere. In all honesty, I reckon that you would get more our of spending an hour or 2 in a big warehouse golf store than you would at a Golf Show.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having been last year to London i said I wouldnt go again, it was a few things that made me go ths year, parking is free, the venue is easy to get to for me, my mum and mrs came and went shopping while we were in there, we then had dinner and walk round the shops ourselves and the tickets were free. If I had paid to get in I would be all over their facebook and twitter telling them how crap it was.

As someone said all stock you can get on any websites clearence page at not very good prices. If it was dirt cheap it might make it worth while going but some clubs are actually cheaper today online then they were yesterday.

Upstairs the stall were nearly all golf gimmicks, not actual worht while golf kit.

They shoudl have more simulators for the ntp and long drive as tbh people just want to smash a few balls rather than watch the same trick shot bloke that is at every golf event going!

I'm not expecting the event to be all the tops name lauching new gear and showing of their latest stuff but it needs to be much better than it is to survive.

It can stay at bluewater though as thats good for me ;)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I did get one top bargain - a top tip from Gary Smith the Linear chipping coach and I chipped oh so well the next day

In his demonstration he said that his grip while chipping on a scale of 1 to 10, with loose being 1 and tight 10, that his right hand was 2 and left hand 1. I ususally would be at least 6 in both hands but I tried it in our 4bbb winter league game the next day and chipped to gimmee length virtually every time

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I went on Friday and, no, I wouldn't have been happy to pay £15 to be flogged gear! I did have a few hits with the Big Bertha irons just to try them and learned a great tip from Gary Smith on chipping which helped enormously in my match today, but, no it wasn't a great show

Care to share the chipping trick :fore:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
sounds the same as the Manchester show last april. Fitting was by appointment and payment of £20 in advance with your choice of specific manufacturer then deducted if you bought from express golf the main company behind organising it I believe

It's run by the Golf Show Group based in Sevenoaks. They also run the Manchester golf show.

To be honest, I don't think it's really aimed at serious golfers, but inevitably it attracts some of those too

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I did get one top bargain - a top tip from Gary Smith the Linear chipping coach and I chipped oh so well the next day

In his demonstration he said that his grip while chipping on a scale of 1 to 10, with loose being 1 and tight 10, that his right hand was 2 and left hand 1. I ususally would be at least 6 in both hands but I tried it in our 4bbb winter league game the next day and chipped to gimmee length virtually every time
I use the white knuckle approach to chipping and putting.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I went about 8years ago when it was first started at the London Docklands, and it was brilliant. The shop was reallt well priced and it had the island green in the middle of the thames.

It gradually got worse and worse as people realised you were never going to sell much their. Eventually it had to share the space with the London Tennis Show.

I agree so much more could be done, i will never understand brands not making irons etc available to take away, when will golf companies understand golfers love a sponaneous purchase, so if you can be custom fitted and take away the club(s) with you that day you are much more likely to do it?

nothing worse than having to wait weeks (mainly Taylormade) to get what you ordered/want