Loft and lie check..

Big85

Visit site
How often do ppl have this done?

Also if you’ve had it done did you see improvements with the loft adjustment?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You should really have them checked once a year, especially if the irons are forged.
Some irons , like G series Ping and X series Callaway are made of some of the hardest substances in the known universe so its not so critical.
I had lofts & lies done last year and they'd shifted a bit - straightened up the ball flight nicely

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Good thread!

Had my irons in play over 2 years now so may go get them checked after Imurgs comment!

Jason.H

Visit site
Had mine done the other week. A 1 degree upright and put the lofts back to where they should be on my 6 and 7 iron. Definitely notice their a touch stronger.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago as a previous fitter said they may be too flat. I’ve gone from hitting the toe constantly to 1° up and hitting the centre! Playing much better too.

Here’s my change sheet for reference to 6 year old clubs that have never previously been checked.

Only cost £35 so worth doing.

Attachments

• C4723AF2-1A94-4263-80FE-1DB4B8D85736.jpeg
    C4723AF2-1A94-4263-80FE-1DB4B8D85736.jpeg
    58.1 KB · Views: 21

D-S

Visit site
Had mine done a couple of weeks ago as a previous fitter said they may be too flat. I’ve gone from hitting the toe constantly to 1° up and hitting the centre! Playing much better too.

Here’s my change sheet for reference to 6 year old clubs that have never previously been checked.

Only cost £35 so worth doing.
So the largest amount any club was 1 degree in loft and 1 degree in lie? Although a lot were 0.25 - 0.5 degrees different vs standard loft.
Did you have them checked when you bought them, as this could well be what they were supplied at, as I think it is well within manufacturing tolerance?

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
So the largest amount any club was 1 degree in loft and 1 degree in lie? Although a lot were 0.25 - 0.5 degrees different vs standard loft.
Did you have them checked when you bought them, as this could well be what they were supplied at, as I think it is well within manufacturing tolerance?

No never checked in all fairness and they are hot metal chromoloy which is marketed as tougher than forged so chances were it was market tolerance. 4 & 5 had been changed previously though at aforementioned fitter who noticed it.

Suppose it’s worth saying an initial check is also worth £35

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I measure mine when I first put them into play and write the lofts down on a spreadsheet, never measure the lies.

Then each time I play a particular set I write the lofts onto a piece of card that I keep in my scorecard holder. I know roughly how far I hit a particular loft so can go from there.

It would cost me a fortune to get them all adjusted. o_O

D-S

Visit site
I would be interested to know if someone has seen there irons go seriously ’out of true‘ over time.
Has anybody had their irons checked and then a few years later found them to be noticeably out?
I recall something on YouTube where brand new clubs were 2 or 3 degrees from specification but still within manufacturer”s tolerances.
Are we really knocking them out of whack or were they right in the first place? Also how much are we ‘bending’ them over time?
I have no evidence either way but would be keen to know if this is worthwhile and, if it is, I am all for it.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I would be interested to know if someone has seen there irons go seriously ’out of true‘ over time.
Has anybody had their irons checked and then a few years later found them to be noticeably out?
I recall something on YouTube where brand new clubs were 2 or 3 degrees from specification but still within manufacturer”s tolerances.
Are we really knocking them out of whack or were they right in the first place? Also how much are we ‘bending’ them over time?
I have no evidence either way but would be keen to know if this is worthwhile and, if it is, I am all for it.

I've never checked irons over time but will say that if you've ever tried to adjust an iron, or watched someone do it, then you'll know just how much effort it takes.
Some irons are much easier to bend than others, depending on the metallurgy, but they all need some brute force to bend them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
When I was considering a transition from steel shafts to graphite I bought a Callay Apex 19 Pro ex-demo 7 iron on the cheap.
It was 2° upright.
I needed it 1° flat.
At a fitting, I'd taken it along to get some numbers and the fitter bent it to my spec.
I watched him do it and even he remarked how soft they were and easy to bend
Very little effort required so it does vary depending on the clubhead.

Jason.H

Visit site

If you buy a set of irons new or 2nd hand then it’d be worth getting them checked and adjusted. If we know the tolerances are a bit slack then we shouldn’t trust them to be spot on.
I’ve noted before our assistant pro had his new Pings checked by the head pro and they needed adjusting from new.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread. I bought my P790s second hand just over a year ago, they’re the 2017 model and so there’s a good chance they’ve never been checked.

When you get them done, does the pro check what lie you need (ie, get you to hit a few balls) or is that something you pay extra for?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I will start this post with the caveat that I am a mid/high handicapper who plays mainly for fun, fresh air and company but....

Does 1* or 2* measured on a flat surface on a range/fitting room make a great deal of difference on a real golf course with all the humps and bumps and lengths of grass? Add the differences in the swing every time (we are not robots) and we must get more variation at the club head?

Is this another thing that proves that golf relies just as much on 'confidence in the equipment' as it does on technique and ability?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I will start this post with the caveat that I am a mid/high handicapper who plays mainly for fun, fresh air and company but....

Does 1* or 2* measured on a flat surface on a range/fitting room make a great deal of difference on a real golf course with all the humps and bumps and lengths of grass? Add the differences in the swing every time (we are not robots) and we must get more variation at the club head?

Is this another thing that proves that golf relies just as much on 'confidence in the equipment' as it does on technique and ability?

I go with this, if your yardage gaps are fine, and theyre are no 'rogue' clubs that have a notably different ball flight, its nothing to worry about.

Also worth remembering, the tolerances in loft and lie apply to all things so offset, face height and length, c of g position. Having perfect loft gaps doesnt always relate to perfect yardage gaps...