Lob wedge loft

Deadlydan

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi bob,
always good advice,
I love my lob wedge ESP from bunkers, but do you reckon the sand wedge gives you more flexibility in shot making?
Do you use a lob wedge and if yes, when? Ta

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi bob,
always good advice,
I love my lob wedge ESP from bunkers, but do you reckon the sand wedge gives you more flexibility in shot making?
Do you use a lob wedge and if yes, when? Ta

Ive never owned a LW but have tried them.
I just dont feel the need for them.
Part of the enjoyment in the short game for me is being able to make the ball do different things with just one club.
Each to their own though

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Neither.
Spend your money on a lesson on how to use your SW properly.
Then, if you still want one, 60 deg maximum

Surely a sand wedge can be 60 deg Bob? It's the bounce that makes it a sand wedge.

I have a 60 deg wedge with 5 deg of bounce, it allows me to hit high trajectories with a soft landing. Just the job for a course like my club where the very narrow greens have bunkers all down their sides.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Surely a sand wedge can be 60 deg Bob? It's the bounce that makes it a sand wedge.

I have a 60 deg wedge with 5 deg of bounce, it allows me to hit high trajectories with a soft landing. Just the job for a course like my club where the very narrow greens have bunkers all down their sides.

My sand wedge is 54* with 14* of bounce so not much good as a lob wedge. I carry a 58* with 6* of bounce that I tend to use as an "all shot" saviour round the greens. I find that its easier to learn the characterisics of one club, that I can alter the position of as opposed to using several different clubs, all which have to be learned.

S

Snelly

Ive never owned a LW but have tried them.
I just dont feel the need for them.
Part of the enjoyment in the short game for me is being able to make the ball do different things with just one club.
Each to their own though

I agree with this. However the club I use for all kinds of shots around the green is a lob wedge with sixty degrees of loft. I can hit high or low shots with it although it cannot be used for a running shot really. It works for me very well and I chip in more than most people I would say.

I agree with John Daly who said that it doesn't matter too much what the club is for chipping, just make sure you always use the same one and get used to its characteristics and play a variety of shots with it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm a bit behind in reading the mag, in fact I'm just finishing October's issue.
In it, I was surprised to read that Dave Pelz recommends that everyone carry a 64° wedge! :eek:

I carry a 60, but it's more about having a choice of bounce angles to me than a choice of lofts.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My sand wedge is 54* with 14* of bounce so not much good as a lob wedge. I carry a 58* with 6* of bounce that I tend to use as an "all shot" saviour round the greens. I find that its easier to learn the characterisics of one club, that I can alter the position of as opposed to using several different clubs, all which have to be learned.
I also have a 56 deg wedge with 10 deg bounce that I use when I need more bounce. I carry 4 wedges and use them all.