Liverpool courses

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I haven’t played bowring in years if I’m honest. I’m actually in the middle of looking for a new course. Lee park is one I’m considering and huytonprescot another.

There are many considerations in joining a club and which one works for you, but Huyton has been full the last year or so, but probably harder to get a weekend round than at Lee park, from what I've heard. Like everywhere else, hard to get a tee time before 11 at LP unless you're quick on the BRS, but empties out a bit more after 11am.

LP's comps are Sundays mainly, although can play in the same comp on the Saturday also, as an option.

eddie_1878

Visit site
(y) A colt at 35 - are you sure that's pronounced right? :D

Welcome on board, joining a club improves your golf, no end. Get a round in together some time.(y)

Haha, mad isn’t it!

Yeah I’ve only just started playing again this year and didn’t get as many rounds in as I’d of liked. Lockdown being a factor obviously, but being a non-member and getting a decent tee time anywhere wasn’t worth the effort half the time. So looking forward to being able to play 3+ times a week- I’ll be on the tour in no time! ?

I’ve had a few lessons with Chris and like the practise facilities so that’s a massive plus too.

Yeah definitely mate ??

JGolfer

Visit site
There are many considerations in joining a club and which one works for you, but Huyton has been full the last year or so, but probably harder to get a weekend round than at Lee park, from what I've heard. Like everywhere else, hard to get a tee time before 11 at LP unless you're quick on the BRS, but empties out a bit more after 11am.

LP's comps are Sundays mainly, although can play in the same comp on the Saturday also, as an option.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. But may be tempted to give up on Huyton, have been on the waiting list awhile, no idea how many are ahead etc. Course looks stunning though. But not a member anywhere and the price for a round at some of the courses round here are so high, it puts me off.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread. But may be tempted to give up on Huyton, have been on the waiting list awhile, no idea how many are ahead etc. Course looks stunning though. But not a member anywhere and the price for a round at some of the courses round here are so high, it puts me off.

Give somewhere a go for 6 months, even, see if you like the feel of it.

Which courses have and havent you played out of the Liverpool ones?

JGolfer

Visit site
Give somewhere a go for 6 months, even, see if you like the feel of it.

Which courses have and havent you played out of the Liverpool ones?

I have played West Derby, Woolton, childwall (member at all 3 during my teen years), lee park, Huyton, the municipals. That’s all I have played, so not sure if I have missed any I should have played.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have played West Derby, Woolton, childwall (member at all 3 during my teen years), lee park, Huyton, the municipals. That’s all I have played, so not sure if I have missed any I should have played.

Sound, so you know the dance.

West derby is finally sorting its drainage out, but played there the other night and at the end of the day will always struggle with excess rain. They've changed the layout slightly as well, but playing to greens that they arent meant to be played into from, so more work needed there.

Woolton has spent a lot on the clubhouse, which I believe is very good, but the course is to short/easy in the main for me.

Lee park may be spending more on the clubhouse also, or maybe more drainage/on course, may depend on how a vote goes, but overall find it is in the best condition and is open more than the others.

Childwall is the best run course, but I think its £1k joining, if not slightly more.

Where do you live?

JGolfer

Visit site
Sound, so you know the dance.

West derby is finally sorting its drainage out, but played there the other night and at the end of the day will always struggle with excess rain. They've changed the layout slightly as well, but playing to greens that they arent meant to be played into from, so more work needed there.

Woolton has spent a lot on the clubhouse, which I believe is very good, but the course is to short/easy in the main for me.

Lee park may be spending more on the clubhouse also, or maybe more drainage/on course, may depend on how a vote goes, but overall find it is in the best condition and is open more than the others.

Childwall is the best run course, but I think its £1k joining, if not slightly more.

Where do you live?

Live in Anfield, so I’m pretty much the same distance from them all.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Golf Monthly have just done a article on my club .
Grange park in St Helens.
We have a waiting list though and a joining fee.
But if you want a game just let me know.
I would give it two weeks as the greens are getting cored today.

Blundels Hill is also a good course but privately owned.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Yep, I'm biased but would honestly say that Lee park has the better conditioning for most of the year than all of them.

I've also heard rumours that we are getting full, but they normally still do interviews/accept applications awaiting people leaving. maybe get an application in, see which one offers membership first btween H&P and Lee park, but if you tell LP that you have also applied there, they may fast track it?

Our reciprocals are the best out of all of them - not only many local clubs, but lots nationally, also.

JGolfer

Visit site
Yep, I'm biased but would honestly say that Lee park has the better conditioning for most of the year than all of them.

I've also heard rumours that we are getting full, but they normally still do interviews/accept applications awaiting people leaving. maybe get an application in, see which one offers membership first btween H&P and Lee park, but if you tell LP that you have also applied there, they may fast track it?

Our reciprocals are the best out of all of them - not only many local clubs, but lots nationally, also.

The thing I would say is the thing I’m looking for most from the club I join is how the membership is. I mostly play golf alone, and the PP I had quit, but sometimes my partner who lives in Scotland will come down and play.

So the main thing is an easy way to integrate with the membership, Lee Park was a lovely course, as was H&P. I just knew someone who said H&P is really good for integrating new members.

Whereas I don’t know anybody who has been a member at Lee Park. But might give them a bell and see what’s up. Haven’t been a member at a club for awhile now, and definitely need to join one.

Woolton, Childwall and West Derby and all no go for me, member when I was a youth and wasn’t for me.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The thing I would say is the thing I’m looking for most from the club I join is how the membership is. I mostly play golf alone, and the PP I had quit, but sometimes my partner who lives in Scotland will come down and play.

So the main thing is an easy way to integrate with the membership, Lee Park was a lovely course, as was H&P. I just knew someone who said H&P is really good for integrating new members.

Whereas I don’t know anybody who has been a member at Lee Park. But might give them a bell and see what’s up. Haven’t been a member at a club for awhile now, and definitely need to join one.

Woolton, Childwall and West Derby and all no go for me, member when I was a youth and wasn’t for me.
I would agree with Liverbirdie.
Lee Park is the best club in the city boundary.
Very friendly and course is in really good shape .

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I'm not sure if the club are better or worse for integrating new members than H&P and our manager has just moved onto other things so not sure about the new guy as hasn't started yet, but overall the membership at LP is very friendly. Lots of 25-35 year olds have joined in the last 18 months so a lot of strangers, but I know lots who have been members for 10-20 years.

LP also has a reduced twilight membership which is after 4pm weekdays, but anytime on saturday and Sunday, although can't do the reciprocals under this option.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Spent 4 great years at lee park. Very relaxed club.

Lots of old guys play early morning. Book online to play comps so easy to meet people and get a game.

Spent many a Saturday afternoon mucking about on the practice ground hitting short irons or chipping at the practice green then playing a game in the evening with liverbirdie.

Good test of golf without being the longest course about.