Live charity golf : rory dj wolff fowler 17th May

Tommy10

Visit site
I quite enjoyed it to be honest.

Don't think my clubs would be much use on that course though, I'd be as well taking a bucket and spade for the bunkers.

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thought there'd be a bit more banter. Bets bit was Wolff hitting it to a waste area, then turning to DJ and asking him "Is this a waste bunker?"

What did he mean by that? I heard it, assumed he was referencing something controversial?

PaulS

Visit site
What did he mean by that? I heard it, assumed he was referencing something controversial?
It’s a reference to the USPGA 2010 when he was penalised for grounding his club in a waste area which was deemed a bunker and it cost him a place in a playoff

Hoganman1

Visit site
I only watched the first hour and a half. It was OK, but not as exciting as everyone had hoped. I think most of you are correct that the course didn't show well on TV. I'm glad they did it if only for the charities.

sunshine

Visit site
Recorded and watched on delay. Caught up for the 18th and play off, so perfect timing!

Some thoughts:

- Stupid that players can't wear shorts on Tour.
- I really enjoyed seeing the players carry their own bags. This should be introduced on Tour! Much better test of the player when they have to make their shot selection on their own, especially green reading. Having a servant to carry your equipment and measure distances for you is a very outdated concept.
- I really enjoyed the absence of long conversations between player and caddie, which is a major contributor to slow play.
- It was great to see the players ready to play when it was their turn.
- Without caddies, green books, practice rounds, the players chipping and lag putting was less than perfect. Made them look more human, and is probably a better comparison for us.
- Rory and Rickie looked class.
- DJ looked really rusty. He was well off the others and he stopped trying.
- Wolff can seriously bomb it, but swing looks like an octopus falling out of a tree. His fast hip twist trigger move is ok for full swings but not great on short shots where you need to maintain a smooth swing. I'm guessing on a good day his natural timing will look after him but on a bad day he will struggle with distance control on pitches.
- I thought the course looked nice, was a bit too wide open for these guys. Commentators kept saying it normally plays much firmer which would have made it more interesting. Certainly more interesting later when the breeze picked up.
- The problem with these events (Tiger v Phil etc) is the dead time between shots when you only have one group on the course. ok as a one-off, not every week.

Hoganman1

Visit site
- The problem with these events (Tiger v Phil etc) is the dead time between shots when you only have one group on the course. ok as a one-off, not every week.[/QUOTE]

This is a great point. Filling the "dead" time is a problem. I get that it's entertainment, but sometimes the "celebrity" interviews ran over the actual golf shots. Like I said, I give them an A for the effort. Everything else was probably a C.

Grizzly

Visit site
Watched this whilst on the phone with an old friend when is a physiotherapist. He is certain that Wolff will end up crippled due to the strains he will place on his lower back and hips with that move :(

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It’s a reference to the USPGA 2010 when he was penalised for grounding his club in a waste area which was deemed a bunker and it cost him a place in a playoff
2010 PGA championship. DJ was in the lead but grounded his club in a bunker he thought was a waste area and was given a two shot penalty

Ahhhh, of course! Good joke in that case! ?

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
How many shots will Ricky and wolff be getting? Does the 90% rule apply to pros...?
Doesn't exactly grab me. Rory v DJ would be interesting enough especially if they go for it off the tee in a bombing contest. Not sure the other two bring much to the table
Well these two posts look even more silly now :) Rickie was the best of the 4, with DJ looking rustier than an old wedge.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well these two posts look even more silly now :) Rickie was the best of the 4, with DJ looking rustier than an old wedge.
Watched a bit until Bill Murray and then Trump popped up. Didn't like the coverage or commentary and it didn't show the course off that well. As I watched just a few holes I can't comment on how they played throughout. Didn't engage me before they played and the event didn't keep my attention last night

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

DJ missed out on a playoff spot at the PGA Championship a few years back grounding his club in what he thought was a waste area as the crowd were all walking through it. Was given a two shot penalty for grounding in a bunker on the last hole.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Haha. Yep, rickie was comfortably the best...
...Until it mattered (kind of), when normality resumed..... looking good after 54 holes is his speciality.

I'd like to watch a condensed highlights (say, an hour) as the h*******t in between totally distracted from the golf and course. I was watching the septic version, so got the benefit if Bill Murray, trump etc. Plus interminable ads. How they watch golf on terrestrial is beyond me.

The course aesthetic was curious - without stands and crowds I think that many venues would be unrecognisable cf normal.