Live charity golf : rory dj wolff fowler 17th May

D

Deleted member 1147

I believe Woods wasn’t very complimentary of the course. Prob one of those courses that is exclusive because of history and membership as opposed to the course itself. Looks a bit like Doral but bland
Actually he said it’s a great course, but players now hit the ball too far for it.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Bit boring to be honest, gave up after 6 holes, was expect more chat and banter. It was disappointing.

Just come back for a quick look, they seem to be talking a bit more now, but still not exciting.

The course does seem a bit bland too, very wide open. I expected more trees but the occasional shot does look nice, just didn't see enough to keep me watching. I'm sure it's tough around the greens, a lot of upturned saucers.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First impression of the course was a bit meh but I think it's just not coming over well on TV. The more I saw of it and some of the angles and aerial shots, especially around the green complexes the better it looks. Wouldn't turn down the offer of a game there! ;)

Looks decent to me.

Reminds me of Conwy. Doesn't look that much but smart routing constantly changes the questions being asked.

Favourite comment taking guests to Conwy "The wind's changed direction".

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Enjoyed it for what it was, live golf in the midst of a sporting broadcast drought.
I dont think the tv does the course justice, although some of those par 3s looked great.
Thought DJ looked properly rusty and wasnt overly impressed with Wolff, just comes across as another bomber. Fowler showed a bit of class, and rory is always a treat to watch even on his worst days.
Expected a bit more chat and banter, I think the tiger vs Phil 4ball next week could prove more entertaining. Just need to figure out how to watch it!?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
1. Fundamentally she's right
2. This was so arranged because all 4 players live within 30 minutes of the course
3. Although it's a charity event it's also a huge marketing campaign by TM. How many well known LPGA players live 30 minutes from Seminole and play TM?
4. Facts are that the girls dont pull the cash in as much as the boys and as this was a money making exercise- sad but true.
5. Fundamentally she's right.

Just my take.......

D

Deleted member 1147

Do they even have red tees at Seminole?
It may be men only still ?

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
1. Fundamentally she's right
2. This was so arranged because all 4 players live within 30 minutes of the course
3. Although it's a charity event it's also a huge marketing campaign by TM. How many well known LPGA players live 30 minutes from Seminole and play TM?
4. Facts are that the girls dont pull the cash in as much as the boys and as this was a money making exercise- sad but true.
5. Fundamentally she's right.

Just my take.......

Agreed - as I understand it Rory used his huge presence and influence to make this happen, together with his sponsors. So whilst I agree with her that this is an opportunity missed, I don't see it as inequality as such - just that no-one from the ladies game has stepped up and made it happen.

Is there anything stopping Mel Reid or the LPGA trying to organise this or is it easier for her to sling the mud?

I actually love watching the ladies game, less 'boom baby', more emphasis on the craft so would likely watch it as well. But i'd hate to see this turned into a Golf politics football.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site

A Charity match arranged quickly and sensibly to raise millions and the equality card is played - sometimes I think some people can’t just stand back and applaud a good thing , there needs to be an angle.
I think golf is still very old fashioned and in general, women probably don't get as much recognition as they deserve. But this match really wasn't a good target for pushing equality. As you said, it was a charity match that was hastily arranged.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I enjoyed it for what it was - a bit of a knockabout with mates. Certainly bizarre when they got Trump on the phone.

'I'm bored of watching highlights of old tournaments and knowing who won.' It's not like he has anything else to worry about right now :)

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
I just caught a glimpse of the long drive bit on YouTube.
Never seen this guy Wolff before, and have to ask why nobody else has commented on his extraordinary swing?
He makes Jim Furyk look orthodox!

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Trump was the highlight of the evening............ "Live on the phone?" seriously risky.... strewth he is a nutcase. Bit like Christmas when you sat around as a kid hoping the mad uncle would say something inappropriate!

Mel Reid is picking on the wrong event for a number of reasons.

Switched off after about 90 minutes as it wasn't very interesting. Minimal banter, awful coverage (american) and some bad cheesey american "Joe CEO" characters....

But it raised plenty of cash, so thats good!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just caught a glimpse of the long drive bit on YouTube.
Never seen this guy Wolff before, and have to ask why nobody else has commented on his extraordinary swing?
He makes Jim Furyk look orthodox!
Wolff has come through the US college system, been a top amateur and is going to be the next big thing, perhaps. Hits it miles, odd swing, a bit all American. The sponsors are all over him, he won a PGA tournament at the end of last year as well.

It does look unorthodox, have you seen his feet during a swing?, but it works for him.

How did it end? I saw a few holes, found it a bit dull, and went to bed. I applaud the money raised, the fact it was live sport but it shows that 4 blokes playing together and no one else on the course does not make interesting tv. It also shows how good a job tv does normally by bouncing around other groups, leaving minimal dead time.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Wolff has come through the US college system, been a top amateur and is going to be the next big thing, perhaps. Hits it miles, odd swing, a bit all American. The sponsors are all over him, he won a PGA tournament at the end of last year as well.

It does look unorthodox, have you seen his feet during a swing?, but it works for him.

How did it end? I saw a few holes, found it a bit dull, and went to bed. I applaud the money raised, the fact it was live sport but it shows that 4 blokes playing together and no one else on the course does not make interesting tv. It also shows how good a job tv does normally by bouncing around other groups, leaving minimal dead time.

rory won a 120 yard nearest the pin to win the final 6 skins and 1.1m, they raised just over 5m for the 2 charities in 4 hrs or so golf which was all the better for not having Mel Reid there