Links golf

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Playing my first ever links course today. Anyone got any tips?

So far I've seen keep the ball low, and take one iron higher than you need but take a bit off the swing

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keep it on the fairway, putt from the fairway, play a provisional if you go off the fairway. Bloody enjoy it because it's brilliant (imo).

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
A great shot into the middle of the fairway isnt always a great shot, plenty of balls and always take the wind into consideration, dont expect to much and enjoy it

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It will depend on the course but you will need to allow for the ball running. It will run much more than on a parkland course. That may mean running out of fairway or going through the green. I started out on a links course and from memory there was only one, maybe 2 holes where you could land the ball on the green and it would stick. You had to land it short and allow it to run on. Chip and run rather than flop :D This is very course dependent but hold that in your mind.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yardage is strongly influenced by conditions in the air and on the ground. Use the wind rather than fight it. Forget about par and just decide what is possible in the conditions. A par 5 might be a 3 wood and a 7 iron, or a par-4 a driver, 3 wood and 6 iron.

D

Deleted member 21258

There are so many different kinds of links courses and styles and conditions you could come across, so hard to give definite tips.

But if its windy, with cross winds being the worst, keep the ball real low and us the running game. Oh try to keep away from the bunkers on the fairway or big run offs from greens, as its almost like a lost shot instantly with them.

Hope it isn't to windy, as breezy here today and enjoy, its great to play links golf, firm and fast is so much fun, plus no tress to hit;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

It is very different to parkland golf, basically rip up the rule book and just improvise as you go. You might hit a 7 iron 200 yards downwind and a driver 180 yards into the wind. Bunkers often tend to be small and deep, if you go in them just make sure you get out, don't be greedy and try to move the ball 150 yards down the fairway.

Which course are you playing?

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd say first and foremost - Enjoy it.
You'll get bad bounces, uphil/downhill/sidehill lies, overshoot greens, undershoot greens and all when you've likely hit good shots - Just roll with it and enjoy the challenge and what links golf represents.

And don't rush round, take your time to enjoy the surroundings and scenery etc.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Unless you are used to playing in the wind and knocking the ball down, it will be tough to adjust for a single round.

I've been playing at a moorland course for 2 years and would say this year I'm comfortable playing a knockdown shot and getting good distance under the wind.

Just play the shot you are comfortable with and have fun.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Very much depends on the weather - if a still damp day then you can probably play it something like you would a parkland course - if it's baked hard and blowing a gale down wind then you can be landing the ball 50-80 yards short of the green to get it to stop on the putting surface. In those circumstances bump and run with a straighter faced iron and using the contours is your friend.

Into the wind if you're going to be wild be really wild - that way you might have a chance of being on another fairway - don't go in the rough.

One thing you might notice if you've only played parkland is that the ball won't sit up on the fairway in the same way - I've always found hybrids and fairway woods much easier to hit on parkland turf.

Last edited:

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
I have played quite a bit of links golf and tend not to lose that many balls. The rough is rough but you tend to still find the ball more times than not. The wind is going to determine how you play though. Have fun.

Zig

Visit site
I'm a member at one. I'd say:

- just enjoy it for what it is.
- play your usual game. Don't spoil it by trying different things and then thinking you've played rubbish.

Yes, typically it'll be windier, run a bit further, there'll be more slopes around the greens etc. But, seriously... just stick with your normal game, enjoy it, and post on here how you found it. ;)

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I'm a member at one. I'd say:

- just enjoy it for what it is.
- play your usual game. Don't spoil it by trying different things and then thinking you've played rubbish.

Yes, typically it'll be windier, run a bit further, there'll be more slopes around the greens etc. But, seriously... just stick with your normal game, enjoy it, and post on here how you found it. ;)

I can't play my usual game and not play rubbish ?

Reactions: Zig

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Another tip is play to what you can see.

I.E. If your in the rough after a drive and your guessing where the fairway is and you think its 150-180 yard carry to get there, but you can see a part of the fairway 100-140 away, its normally the better option to hit for the fairway, as if you chunk it or land short of the fairway, your going to need a lot of luck finding it in the rough, unless its the wispy stuff.

Similar for greens, but less so.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
My favourite form of Golf!

You'll get some good bounces and some (probably more) bad ones. Laugh at both, find the ball, and play your next shot! Greenside bunkers can often be treachorous, so avoid wherever possible - though there's often 'direct' line that doers exactly that.

Enjoy the normally wonderful Greens!

If you get the 'Links is lovely' bug like I did, Parkland courses can feel a bit dull after a few rounds on them!