Links Golf Problems

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I know what your saying mate. I've played a hell of a lot of golf over the years on Moorland courses with lots of blind shots between them, & tbh over time Ive felt it takes a little something out of the game.
I found I get far more enjoyment from hitting a well struck shot and seeing the ball roll out.
For me Just hitting it blindly or over a marker post gets a bit boring after a while.
Theres quite a few at Chorley but its hard to find a course without them around here.

Dont mind 2-3, but dont like loads of blind holes.

I thought you always have to aim slightly left of the marker post?;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going back to the OP, Perranporth is notorious for its blind shots so I do see where he is coming from. I would consider it a 'fun' course as opposed to a 'serious' course unless you know the layout and lines really well. I've only played it once and it was frustrating at times but hugely enjoyable as well.

Have you played Prestwick?

It also has some blind holes (one being a par 3), but I loved them holes.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
2/6/8/9/13/14 and 16 at my club (Bigbury GC/Devon/parkland) are blind with 16 being a blind dog-leg left, hit to the 105 marker post take a left and it's an 8 iron to the green, I love blind shots, something exciting about watching your T-shot disappear over the horizon knowing you've hit good'n, but just how good remains a mystery even if it is only for a few seconds !...:thup:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
sound more like a blind shot problem rather than i links problem.

luckily we don't have many courses around here with blind holes. Brora has a couple, Dornoch 4? so not really an issue. Only problem ive had was playing at Machrihanish Old and one guy in the group telling us to aim for the marker post.... only they were't marker posts, but posts to help you locate the line of a lost ball in the rough:(

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blind tee shots are not much of a problem for me, but I definitely not a lover of blind shots to a green. The one that springs to mind is the 5th at Mullion in Cornwall.

SugarPenguin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yeah on reflection its more the blind shots than links golf itself. Love the challenges links can offer.
then again quite a lot of parkland courses have blind shots. Just seems that they are punished more on the links.