Lines on your ball

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Harrington claims drawing a line on his ball has worked wonders for his putting.

Have you drawn a line on your ball and do you use it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Re: Links on your ball

Little hard evidence one way or the other.
It helps some, it doesn't help others..
I don't...

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re: Links on your ball

Are you allowed to pick up your ball and reposition with the line facing the hole?

Any time you have the ball in hand you may place or replace it exactly how you want it. Just remember that once it has been placed other than on a putting green it is in play and cannot be picked up again and be replaced or moved in any way. So no moving it to get the aim line precisely pointing at the target if you are off the green.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a ball balancing machine, which results in a line on the ball which I use to line up the ball wherever I am 'legally' able to do so but I am not particulalrly bothered about having it aimed 100% accurately like you see a lot of the pros do.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Watching people faffing around lining their ball up on the green is one of the few things on a golf course that winds me up.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use a line on mine

I line all putts up except tap-ins

Don't think it takes too long, usually lined up and ready to go when it's my turn without too much faffing

Putting is a real strength of mine so won't change it unless it gets outlawed

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
On the green you can

I would like to see this practice banned in the spirit of speeding up play. Annoying to be playing a comp where someone is faffing about realigning a ball from 2 feet to then miss!

Personally, I put my ball down with nothing showing on the top - far less of a distraction.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I would like to see this practice banned in the spirit of speeding up play. Annoying to be playing a comp where someone is faffing about realigning a ball from 2 feet to then miss!

Personally, I put my ball down with nothing showing on the top - far less of a distraction.

Oooh imagine if the did Aimpoint too, bring a sleeping bag 🤣

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Fundamentally its nonsense. I think anyone who thinks they can align a not much more than an inch long as you look at it, line 2 or 3 mm wide, to an accuracy that will help you with the line of a putt, is seriously deluded. If anything, it more likely, quite probably even, that the line will be misaligned, and so more likely to put you off aligning your putter head to your desired line when you address the ball.
Probably a few pro started doing it without thinking about it, any benefit is unmeasurable anyway, and amateurs started aping it as they do. And small though it is, it is one of the many things that go into slowing down the game.
But hey, its golf, and whatever works for you, works for you (even if you only think it does, when really it doesnt), whether delusional or not.
If I were to bet, I would go for a scientific study coming out with the answer that it is more likely to be harmful, and so a bad habit one is better of not developing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Fundamentally its nonsense. I think anyone who thinks they can align a not much more than an inch long as you look at it, line 2 or 3 mm wide, to an accuracy that will help you with the line of a putt, is seriously deluded. If anything, it more likely, quite probably even, that the line will be misaligned, and so more likely to put you off aligning your putter head to your desired line when you address the ball.
Probably a few pro started doing it without thinking about it, any benefit is unmeasurable anyway, and amateurs started aping it as they do. And small though it is, it is one of the many things that go into slowing down the game.
But hey, its golf, and whatever works for you, works for you (even if you only think it does, when really it doesnt), whether delusional or not.
If I were to bet, I would go for a scientific study coming out with the answer that it is more likely to be harmful, and so a bad habit one is better of not developing.

Good post. I have to admit to following the trend and using the line. I decided a while back it's nothing more than a crutch or placebo and bears no relevance to what the ball is going to do or the stroke I make. I tend to have as much of an unmarked part of the ball showing over the ball these days.