Lines on your ball

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watching people faffing around lining their ball up on the green is one of the few things on a golf course that winds me up.

oh hell yeah, it goes something like:-

1. place marker
  2. clean ball
  3. line up shot
  4. place ball
  5. step back
  6. squat behind ball
  7. move ball a fraction to the right
  8. step back
  9. squat behind ball
  10. move ball a fraction to the left back to where it was
  11. step back
  12. repeat above
  13. remove marker
  14. practice swing
  15. another practice swing
  16. look at line an think that's not right
  17. replace marker
  18. repeat steps 3 to 13
  19. pick up marker
  20. repeat steps 14 and 15
  21. take shot
  22. leave 6 inches short
  23. At this point if you are Jordan Speith you repeat from step 3, everyone else just knocks it in

Tiger Woods

Medal Winner
Visit site
I suppose it depends on what level your at, If your putting to make your 5th double of the day then there isn't much stress and a putt starting on the correct line isn't going to help your score much. Ive seen a video of how most of you guys swing it during one of the forum meets and it made my eyes bleed. Too many of you spend time talking about changing shoes in a car park and how Rory could improve his game rather than the benefit of spending more time working on your own games.

xreyuk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use it, and it's definitely helped my putting.

I had a tendency to push my putts, starting drawing a line on the ball, and realised I was swinging in to out, and lining up to the right of where I wanted.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Alignment doesn’t work!? Hahahaha
Jesus Christ. Funniest thing I’ve read.

It it shouldn’t slow the game either. Providing your lining up while others are putting, or once your on the green.

Are those that aren’t lining up not marking your ball on the green either? Because what would be the point? Unless you’ve got a sizeable amount of crap on it?

D

Deleted member 15344

I use the line on the Pro v balls - I visually line up my putt whilst others are putting out or repairing pitch marks or raking bunker or lining up their putt but when I put the Ball down it’s all a approximation- don’t keep moving it until it’s exactly to the millimetre , once it’s down that’s it - takes seconds but have seen some take forever lining up the ball just like players like Spieth does but it’s no surprise people copy PSR from pros - just a shame they copy the slow players

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Some folks make such a mess of their balls with drawing lines, arrows and crosses all over them. How can I use a ball that I found that is in such a mess. Keep you balls graffiti free please ;)

Anyway - it would be just another thing for me to concern myself about and to worry that I hadn't got it quite right. So I just plonk my ball down any old way. Of much more importance to my putting is the wee routine I run through for ever putt.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Some folks make such a mess of their balls with drawing lines, arrows and crosses all over them. How can I use a ball that I found that is in such a mess. Keep you balls graffiti free please ;)

Anyway - it would be just another thing for me to concern myself about and to worry that I hadn't got it quite right. So I just plonk my ball down any old way. Of much more importance to my putting is the wee routine I run through for ever putt.

stick them in the dish washer, gets rid of any marks ive found. Mind you i know what a Luddite you are and a dish washer may be against the spirit of the game as far as you are concerned:rofl:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Alignment doesn’t work!? Hahahaha
Jesus Christ. Funniest thing I’ve read.

It it shouldn’t slow the game either. Providing your lining up while others are putting, or once your on the green.

Are those that aren’t lining up not marking your ball on the green either? Because what would be the point? Unless you’ve got a sizeable amount of crap on it?

I don't draw a line on my ball, nor do I use the printed manufacturer lines, logos or wording, sometimes I don't bother marking my ball if it's not in the way of another player and more often than not I'll only clean the ball if it's got something stuck to it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't line up the ball or draw any lines on it. To line it up in such a way assumes I've read the line of the putt perfectly which is almost never the case anyway. I tried it once for a round, didn't find any benefit so I stopped bothering.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
stick them in the dish washer, gets rid of any marks ive found. Mind you i know what a Luddite you are and a dish washer may be against the spirit of the game as far as you are concerned:rofl:

I've tried various cleaning methods but haven't tried the dish washer. Some of the inks are pretty permanent - blinking nuisance...

BTW - I am no Luddite - I have a metal driver - so there :)

...and I recently bought a push-trolley

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've tried various cleaning methods but haven't tried the dish washer. Some of the inks are pretty permanent - blinking nuisance...

is the metal driver the original Taylor Made one!!!

Careful you might be buying stroke savers next bringing yourself into modern era😂

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't line up the ball or draw any lines on it. To line it up in such a way assumes I've read the line of the putt perfectly which is almost never the case anyway. I tried it once for a round, didn't find any benefit so I stopped bothering.

A line won’t put it in the hole alone.
But it’s an alignment aid.
Not only for the perceived line, but helps align body, feet, path.

Putting is the the main scorer in golf. It’s a game of duff, duff, chip, putt.
If you ain’t giving yourself the best chance to get that putt in then that’s a dropped shot.

Thats my my opinion anyway. Each to there own in the way they want to enjoy golf.
I only know of one person who doesn’t line a putt. And he’s been playing just 3 months.

effayjay

Club Champion
Visit site
If I do use a line then I do it like this.

I read the putt and putt the ball with the line down in approximately the position I think is good. I then look from behind to see if this is in line. more often than not it will appear a little out so instead of moving the ball, I just adjust the putter to aim slightly left or right of the line.

The putt requires a pace read too so having the line exactly right doesn't bother me

I could have written this myself.

For those who think it wastes time the same could be said about those who dangle the putter between thumb and forefinger and those who do practice putting strokes, neither of which I do. So, let s/he who has committed no sin cast the first stone.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

woudnt the heat of a dishwasher damage the core of the ball.
I know cold does that's why they don't fly as far in the cold but would imagine the heat of a dishwasher would be to high for a golf ball.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
yes, lined up most of my putts yesterday in the Presidents cup and was round in a 3 ball in 3.15, tricky conditions, so its isn't slowing down play at all.

if you are slow anyway, that is the problem, not lining up putts isn't going to getting round quicker

Are you representing USA or ROTW?