Line up...old but good.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I’ve played this game for about 35 years now and I’ve always lined up with what I thought was parallel to the target, whatever that is. The possible problem with that is the target is there in your mind.

Lately I’ve tried to take the target out of my mind (well indirectly anyway) by lining up with something just in front of me that’s in line with the ball and target. In other words, I pick the required club that I think will do the job, square the club up to that mark and ball, stand parallel to that line and hit. I’m not even thinking about the target now, well not until the ball is struck.

Okay, this is not new, in fact it’s old hat, but very few people actually line up with anything other that the flag, green, fairway or whatever. The problem with that is it’s usually further away and aligning yourself to that looks easy but I find it difficult to get it spot on.

This way is like having a club lying on the ground in line with the ball and target. I only need to stand parallel to that line.

If you cut or draw the ball then obviously you need to compensate a little, the same as for a crosswind.

Old maybe, but try it. ;)

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This is exactly what I do, and it works. It is also good for ignoring hazards, as you don't look at them. Works for putting too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree. I use the Proliner on the practice ground to make sure alignment and ball position are good so like to think my fundamentals are pretty good as it is something I work on regularly.

However out on the course I tend to look at something down the fairway (tree or similar) and draw an imaginary line from that back to the ball and then pick out something in front of my ball as a reference point

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I try to use this though I seem to end up right of the target line more often than not. My pro says to line up with a mark behind the ball but I find it easier with a mark in front.

Lucked out last night as I found a training aid on course in the shape of an Aldila shaft that had separated below the ferrule.

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Currently having real issues with my alignment,I historically aim well right and hit hard from the inside. This means I can get trapped and either block it way right or stop turning and hit a big old snapper!

Will try this when I next play on Friday,it sounds like all the best tips,simple but effective.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
I try to use this though I seem to end up right of the target line more often than not. My pro says to line up with a mark behind the ball but I find it easier with a mark in front.

Lucked out last night as I found a training aid on course in the shape of an Aldila shaft that had separated below the ferrule.

I would say a mark behind the ball, in line with the target, should be just as good. As long as you have something to line yourself up with. It's also good to get someone to check your shoulders are parallel to the target line.

StuartD

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Had my first lesson in twenty years last week in an attempt to fix a snap hook. Got it fixed fairly quickly and started on my pre shot routine. I had always picked out something in front of the ball to aid my alignment but my pro changed it.

He got me picking out an object in the distance (pin bunker tree etc) and imagining a line to the ball. I then lay the clubhead square to it and take my stance square to the clubhead. Then a few looks at my target, a wee shuffle if required and away I go. He said it prevents tension that can easily develop when you are fixed over a point just in front of the ball. I was surprised by this but I must admit it worked for me

theeaglehunter

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I'll give this a go as my alignment quite often lets me down. I had herd of this before but I had never tried it so I will give it a go.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
I always stand about 5 yards behind the ball, look at my target and look right down the line, back to my ball and line up with something a few yards infront of the ball!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I always stand about 5 yards behind the ball, look at my target and look right down the line, back to my ball and line up with something a few yards in front of the ball!

Me too, (normaly nearer 10 yards) and often use the shaft of the club to look down the line and establish a mark to go over.

I didn't think it was done any other way.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I always stand about 5 yards behind the ball, look at my target and look right down the line, back to my ball and line up with something a few yards in front of the ball!
I do this and prefer not to think about the target if I can help it. Helps keep me over the ball rather than looking up at the end.
Butsometimes I'm not parallel to the target line even though I think I am. To check this, just before I hit the shot, I put the club across my hips and see where it's pointing. I consistently aim further left than I think I do!

AliB

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do this and prefer not to think about the target if I can help it. Helps keep me over the ball rather than looking up at the end.
Butsometimes I'm not parallel to the target line even though I think I am. To check this, just before I hit the shot, I put the club across my hips and see where it's pointing. I consistently aim further left than I think I do!

This might be worth trying as I often end up right of where I think I'm aiming, especially with fairway woods and hybrids.