Line on your ball

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played with a guy a few weeks ago who did this on every tee and it was painful to watch!:( a couple of times he went through his pre shot routine, only to then decide he wasn't happy with the aim, readjust the line of the ball on the tee and go through his pre shot routine again :eek: I thought people were only slow when using a line with their putts as well :sleep:
Bet he's a joy to play with. I hope he shoots low scores or he'd be holding the course up. Not sure I'd have the patience (especially if its cold or wet as per winter golf) to stand about watching him faff about. That can't be good for pace of play

benjo09

Visit site
I'd always been anti lines as I felt it would distract me too much if it wasn't lined up 100% but recently watched a video talking about the methodology behind putting with a line and decided to give it a go on some practice rounds. Lining up putts took 3 times as long as I could never get it to sit exactly how I wanted. Couldn't imagine how long a round would be if I was lining up every shot!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Probably not a good idea if you have OCD...

Or any knowledge of geometry. At least it can generally point to a fairway if you are on the tee. But utterly ludicrous to be doing it on a green. Aligning a 1.68" line to any useful accuracy on a putt must be the greatest waste of time man has ever devised for himself.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Bet he's a joy to play with. I hope he shoots low scores or he'd be holding the course up. Not sure I'd have the patience (especially if its cold or wet as per winter golf) to stand about watching him faff about. That can't be good for pace of play
I’d end up having to say something...just can’t be bothered with such faffing around...

Diamond

Visit site
Or any knowledge of geometry. At least it can generally point to a fairway if you are on the tee. But utterly ludicrous to be doing it on a green. Aligning a 1.68" line to any useful accuracy on a putt must be the greatest waste of time man has ever devised for himself.

It’s a good point but lining up the line of ball to the hole does slow me down and focuses the mind and I feel less rushed. If I miss an easy put Putt it is Normally down to rushing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting! Is there much difference in consistency between different types of balls?

I only use use premium balls like Bridgestone 330 Prov1 and they are pretty much the same. The line that ends up on the ball very rarely matches any markings on the ball.
The most confusing time came when using the mc on the Callaway with the triple lines.