Line of the Putt

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've hit my ball on the green and marked it having repaired my pitchmark. I think the hole is on crown so want to walk the length of the putt to the hole (avoiding any other player lines) to see the lay of the land and if it falls away.

Am I right in thinking although I can't see a specific rule that I'm not permitted to walk on the line of the putt although it's permissable to walk adjacent to view the line

Patrick57

Head Pro
Visit site
Am I right in thinking although I can't see a specific rule that I'm not permitted to walk on the line of the putt although it's permissable to walk adjacent to view the line

There's no rule that prevents or penalises you for walking on your putt line unless you do so in an attempt to alter or create a track to effect the ball's roll.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

There's no rule that prevents or penalises you for walking on your putt line unless you do so in an attempt to alter or create a track to effect the ball's roll.

You cannot deliberately walk on the line of your putt. That would be a breach of Rule 16-1a. If you accidentally walk on it, there is no penalty provided you haven't improved your line.

See Decision 16-1a/12

Last edited: