Limited edition clubs, sweet mother.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Do we class the tour bags that are brought out every year for the majors in this category? Some of those are gorgeous but very expensive. I used to have a master's limited edition cobra green driver that I always regretted selling.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There is a massive Scotty following especially in the US and so a lot of people buy them as collectors pieces in the same way others buy artwork or antiques. Some may buy them and use them although whether they'd make that big a difference to a handicap golfer, perhaps more so to those with a + handicap is questionable. Plenty of manufacturers bring out limited edition or one off pieces (the Japanese market in particular) and so if you have the money and the inclination why not

It's not really about performance, a Rolex doesn't tell the time better than a Swatch. It is about the measure of ownership.

I used to collect Scotties, and had some really nice ones. One was a putter (Del Mar 3.5) which Rory McIlroy had made for him and had used on Tour. I got it from a former caddy. I didn't putt any better but still really enjoyed having it, and sold it for more than I paid for it. I was happy and so was the person who bought it from me. I have been to the Cameron Collector's Convention in the US (as a side trip to a business trip) and met Scotty and some of the major global collectors who had brought some unique pieces. Scotty did a talk after dinner where he talked about some players he had made putters for, and some of the weird requests and things they had done (e.g. Lee Trevino adjusting his by jamming it in the door frame of his hotel room and closing the door on it). It is great fun if you have the inclination and the means.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is like the various threads re: PXG etc; and yet again I can't understand the reaction.

It's not as though this is the only putter on the market and we all have to pay that price.

If that is how someone chooses to spend their money surely it is their business.

Personally I can't understand why anyone would want to accumulate and play with clubs from the 60's and 70's but I wouldn't refer to those that do as idiots.
Tottaly agree.
Have you seen the price of a new Bentley? It’s put me off buying one!

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Thread title should be "Clubs for Idiots".

Cant be that much of an idiot if you can afford them.

Each to their own imo I own some of the concept stuff. I just like limited release items.

Only an idiot imo if you think it's worthwhile or sensible 'investment' or good value for money. I have the Tiger Irons and Wedges to name a couple of such collectable. Over priced certainly but they look beautiful and finish off my office.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago Arnold Schwarzenegger bought John Kennedy's Wilson Staff clubs for $66,000.

When asked why he was willing to pay so much his reply was "because I have the money"

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see that bang average Justin Thomas has just won another tournament. Final round of 57. I reckon he might have holed a few putts.
Thomas played well. So did his dad!
Texas scramble so no course record.
But don’t exactly think it counts as a PGA win.
An 81 yr old Trevino and 11 yr old Woods.
But you can only beat what’s in front of you.

mister v

Visit site
A lot of people obviously do buy this limited edition stuff or they wouldnt sell it......... every year
I'd love players tour bag for my office but i've never got round to getting one, only a matter of time though im sure