Lie Angles

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
The following as a link to a short video on distance to the ball in address - you don't even have to play it really - the opening page shows what it's about
http://www.golflink.com/tipsvideos/video.asp?v=64934
When I looked at it, it seemed to make sense but didn't ring any bells and I laid a nine iron and a three iron on the floor and lined up the soles along a straight line. No way could I make them 'join together at the top of the grip'. Sad Beggar that I am (this bothered me!) I got out a protractor and graph paper and 'proved' that my 9 iron would have to be nearly 2 inches longer to achieve a single hand position for all clubs. An extra 2 inches on your iron would be welcomed in many circles!
My irons are Wilson DI7 and a quick look at others on the web suggest the lies and lengths are there or there abouts. 3 iron 59.5 degrees and 39.5 inches. 9 iron 63.5 degrees and 36.5 inches.
Question please: Am I missing the obvious?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
My irons are Wilson DI7 and a quick look at others on the web suggest the lies and lengths are there or there abouts. 9 iron 59.5 and 39.5 inches. 3 iron 63.5 and 36.5 inches.

sam, can you check your figures?
If the first is lie then I think you need to subtract from 90 degrees.
The 3-i should be longer than the 9-i.

I know my swing is off, but if I tee that far away with a driver the ball is going left in a big way.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks - had the 3 and 9 wrong way round. Have edited my OP.
First figure is the lie angle which is the angle between centre line of shaft and the ground measured behind the club heel at proper address (so my research shows me!)

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
Go and hit some balls forget the maths
Agree entirely but as a learner watching videos such as the one referenced, helps me move forward - that one seems wrong.
Balls - prepare to be hit!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I worried loads and loads about how far to stand from the ball. I think if your hands have found a comfy and correct place, the sole of the club just feels "right" and looks correct too when you are the ideal distance. I have a method for getting the feeling back when it's a bit out. I tend to stand with my feet together and drop the grip 'til it touches my thigh. Then I widen my stance keeping my hands in the right place. It's a feel thing that most golfers eventually get pretty consistent at.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you are a couple of degrees out its not going to make that much difference, or so i read. I think you need a good swing ( which i havent got) before you start worrying about lie angles. Im changing my swing daily so my positions change so the angles are going to change. Im not getting custom fit before i get much better which to be honest im making good progress. I have signed up with online golf lessons with www.directgolftuition.com which are helping enourmously. They contacted me through my u tube account and gave me a free lesson. Freebee for you there fellas!!!!! Lie angle smangle get your swing right first. Then change your clubs! or get them fitted. When was lie angle invented anyway is this a modern thing?????? good title for a post me thinks! they played brilliantly in the old days and scored well with wooden clubs and hickory shafts, so are we getting just a little bit silly with this technology stuff if we hit bad shots i believe its down to us not our equipment, just my view anyway fellas! Play well!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you need a good swing before you start worrying about lie angles.

Agreed.

By the time you're good enough to worry about minutiae of lie angles, you'll be standing a consistent distance from the ball anyway. OK, sometimes we move and don't recognise it, but that's why a lesson every now and again is crucial. I thought my stance was perfect width, actually it was creeping narrower and narrower, needed a pro to spot it though.

daveyboy17

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Jink Thats what these boys told me among other thing they said that m stance was too narrow so i had too much mobility (loss of balance) and not enough stability. Ive got an extra ten yards or so and am moving the body about more but im more balanced, isn't it silly the things we take for granted can easily be wrong and they make a big differece i was expecting to hear about my swing but to be honest they slated my set-up which is good in a way it needs to improve

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you need a good swing before you start worrying about lie angles.

Agreed.

Not so much a good swing but a repetitive one. as long as you swing the club as consistent as possible so the club face meets the ball at impact position in the same place then the lie angle will make a huge difference.

Craigy_Mac

Medal Winner
Visit site
The only people you should be taking advice from is your local pga qualified pro. No offence to anyone but they know a little more than the average joe!!

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
The only people you should be taking advice from is your local pga qualified pro. No offence to anyone but they know a little more than the average joe!!
Agree with find a Pro you get on with and stick with him or her but golf is an art with a bit of science thrown in and pros, themselves, will differ significantly in their advice.