Level of teaching professional

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Couldn't get out on the course today obviously, so went to the range to stop the cabin fever.

Went up to World of Golf in New Malden, first time there, a great set up. They had a bunch of leaflets about coaching, they offer everything it seems.

They have three classes of teaching professional: Teaching original; Senior professional; Master processional. On top of that Ian Clark is also based there who is an PGA Advanced Fellow.

The prices range: £50; £60; £70 & £85 ph respectively. I've only ever had lessons with the club pro our assistant but would be interested in trying a better coach.

Had anyone tried a matter or advanced fellow, are they worth double the price of a normal coach.

irlnw

Hacker
Visit site
I couldn’t comment on the others but Ian’s lessons have been great for me. Easy to get on with and changes have really made a difference.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I couldn’t comment on the others but Ian’s lessons have been great for me. Easy to get on with and changes have really made a difference.

Worth the money? I am edging towards giving him a go so, if you actually have used him and recommend him, then that may put me over

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had a few lessons here and there, but a few years ago I decided I had to do something serious about improving.

I wasn't getting better (worse if anything) even when I played regularly and had practice rounds, going to driving range etc.

My problem was that I couldn't work out what had gone wrong in my bad shots and even what went right in my good shots. I was fed up playing off 23 and everyone seeing me hit a few decent drives and telling my I'd come down quickly and be winning loads of medals.

I booked a lesson at local driving range with a guy who was simply 'Teaching Professional'. The guy went through a few full shots, irons and drives and told me there was no way I should be 23 - more like 14 in the next season. He convinced me to book a 6 lesson block.

We then started working on playing a draw. He was quite coy initially about exactly what the end game was and had me doing drills to promote in to out path. After about the 2nd lesson of the 6 I asked him, 'can you tell me where this is going?' Obviously my tone suggested that I didn't really get it and was questioning his method.

Credit to him - he was quite bullish and told me just to get on with it, practice, and come back and see him next week. (perhaps if I hadn't booked a 6 lesson block, he would not have been quite so bullish).

After 4 lessons I was playing lovely draws and hitting the ball much further than I had before. Hugely satisfying. That season I won the handicap matchplay, got to another matchplay final and came down 6 shots from 23 to 17 - sadly with only 1 or 2 decent medal rounds, but the matchplay results got me cut most of this.

This was at World of Golf, Clydebank and the pro was Andy Hutton. I'd certainly recommend him. Just checked their website and he is still just 'teaching professional'. So I guess my point is that this is still a good level and should provide you with a great chance of learning a lot.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have had a few lessons here and there, but a few years ago I decided I had to do something serious about improving.

I wasn't getting better (worse if anything) even when I played regularly and had practice rounds, going to driving range etc.

My problem was that I couldn't work out what had gone wrong in my bad shots and even what went right in my good shots. I was fed up playing off 23 and everyone seeing me hit a few decent drives and telling my I'd come down quickly and be winning loads of medals.

I booked a lesson at local driving range with a guy who was simply 'Teaching Professional'. The guy went through a few full shots, irons and drives and told me there was no way I should be 23 - more like 14 in the next season. He convinced me to book a 6 lesson block.

We then started working on playing a draw. He was quite coy initially about exactly what the end game was and had me doing drills to promote in to out path. After about the 2nd lesson of the 6 I asked him, 'can you tell me where this is going?' Obviously my tone suggested that I didn't really get it and was questioning his method.

Credit to him - he was quite bullish and told me just to get on with it, practice, and come back and see him next week. (perhaps if I hadn't booked a 6 lesson block, he would not have been quite so bullish).

After 4 lessons I was playing lovely draws and hitting the ball much further than I had before. Hugely satisfying. That season I won the handicap matchplay, got to another matchplay final and came down 6 shots from 23 to 17 - sadly with only 1 or 2 decent medal rounds, but the matchplay results got me cut most of this.

This was at World of Golf, Clydebank and the pro was Andy Hutton. I'd certainly recommend him. Just checked their website and he is still just 'teaching professional'. So I guess my point is that this is still a good level and should provide you with a great chance of learning a lot.

Like you I had only had teaching professionals before, all the pro attached to the club. I'm not complaining about them they were very good, just wondering whether there is a marked difference in the levels.

irlnw

Hacker
Visit site
Worth the money? I am edging towards giving him a go so, if you actually have used him and recommend him, then that may put me over

I think so and wouldn’t hesitate recommending, obviously YMMV. I went wanting some help with some different shot shapes, ended up completely changing my swing and eliminating the high, floaty push I was prone to. What I would say is that the most popular times 8/9pm get booked up in advance, not sure on Ian’s diary during the day.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think so and wouldn’t hesitate recommending, obviously YMMV. I went wanting some help with some different shot shapes, ended up completely changing my swing and eliminating the high, floaty push I was prone to. What I would say is that the most popular times 8/9pm get booked up in advance, not sure on Ian’s diary during the day.

Cheers, I work in Kingston so can get up there pretty easily.

I'll drop him a message and see what's available. His teaching philosophy on his website makes a lot of sense, and it is the difference between my good and bad shots that's the problem.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Like you I had only had teaching professionals before, all the pro attached to the club. I'm not complaining about them they were very good, just wondering whether there is a marked difference in the levels.

At the time I had a lot to learn so it was easy for me to get good returns from my investment. I also had the time to practice once or twice in between lessons and was very keen to make it work and see results.

If you are already a 4 or 5 handicapper with a decent game, then there is less to learn and at that point you are going into much more detail about controlling distance, gaining distance, playing shot shapes, hold ups into the wind etc.

Maybe if you went and said I want to play a Dustin Johnson style power fade... that may be more the job for the senior or master teaching pro

DCB

Visit site
Getting the most out of any teaching pro is based on good two way communication. If that doesn't exist then there's a major problem. Just because you pay more for a Pro with a fancy title doesn't necessarily mean you'll get your money's worth.

Being able to trust your Pro and communicate openly and effectively will get a far better result than turning up for a lesson, not getting what is being taught and then going away confused and no further forward. A good Pro will move at the speed you need to move at if the two of you are communicating effectively and you let him/her know when you don't get what you're working on.

I may have been fortunate, but, I fully trusted our Pro when I took courses of lessons. We talked before a session about what we were trying to achieve and talked between lessons as I practiced what we had covered.

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site

I've had lessons from Colin @ Great Western Golf on recommendations, have also listened to Andy in the bays opposite and liked his methods and his way of getting his points across.

Last edited: