Lessons from America...

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Occasionally, when I've not played in a while I'll take a shot or 2 off the tee, only ever off the tee and usually only the first tee

If you start out with an 8 or 9 off the first hole it can really put you in a funk for the whole round

And I agree with the whole North American hospitality thing, they're very much the same in Canada, shops etc are very happy to help, it's quite a change from here where the cashier is often more interested in her chat wit her colleague than serving you

V

vkurup

Yanks are the best at customer service. I have been to many places worldwide but the USA wins by a distance for service, nothing is too much trouble. However what is described in the OP sounds horrific to me. I have played golf in the USA and experienced anything like that.

I dont want to paint the picture that ALL these things happen on ALL courses.. just a general observation from my trip. Only thing consistent are Big courses and great hospitality (and generally a muppet with no manners)

kid2

Money List Winner
Visit site
If i was to base booking a trip on what iv read in the OP i would seriously have a re think..... Luckily i prefer to draw my own conclusions to everything but if i was to experience any of what the OP has described then i think i would be very slow to return......

Save for the fact that im from Ireland and that Americans think we still have Leprechauns over here i think it would be a very entertaining few hours of leg pulling on my behalf ...:rofl:

I dont drink and im not totally against it but i do think its not really a place Alcohol should be consumed...... There are enough bad mannered and il-tempered people playing golf without adding Alcohol into the mix as well....

To me Americans always want to put their own twist on thinks..... If your thirsty then by all means have a drink... But why does it have to be Alcohol?
I think the Buggies is a great idea but like the OP said i thik it would be a very boring round when you each have a buggy to yourselves......
High Fiving i also dont get..... Ok if its competition golf i can understand the auro of being pumped up for the occasion... Thats fine.... But this just sort of screams 80's American movies like Top Gun to me.....:lol:
Dont get me wrong.... That decade was brilliant but it was just pure American Macho Crap.....

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have played a lot of golf in Florida, and the Americans I have played with have been fantastic. Welcoming, gracious, fun, good company, competitive, and every thing you could look for in a golf partner. Can't fault them, in any way. I've not had a bad lot yet. Even when playing a nine ball skins tournament! I love golf in the states. It's fun.