Lessons, a golfing sin?

Nickrat

Club Champion
Visit site
So I got back into golf about 12 months ago, I'd not played since I was younger and was pretty rusty at first but my swing has always been decent and so I've progressed fairly quickly. Anyway I joined a club last year and there are some guys I play regular with every week.

There was about 12 of us playing a few weeks ago so we split up into 3 four balls, anyway our group was catching the group up in front. I'd gone through the back of the green and into a bunker right next to where the guys in front were teeing off.

My ball was plugged so I got 58 degree wedge and played it out onto the green, I didn't realize but one guy in the group in front was watching. He stated in a angry voice "He's been having lessons!" "I knew it" and declared it to the group he was playing with who didn't really say anything.

I didn't really know what to say at the time, when I came back to golf I had a fade and wanted to change it into a draw. I had 1 lesson with the pro and he changed it to a slight draw (worked on it at driving range). I watch videos online and practice stuff like chipping etc. I can't always afford lessons and it seems to help my game.

I just wondered why some people see lessons as a bad thing?

chris3081

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There will always be piss takers.

You often get guys who have the same set of clubs they brought 25 years ago, old battered clothes and old balls they found in bushes and play like they have never had a lesson. They will shank it in the woods and swear and rant. They are more interested in the beer and banter than the golf. If you actually put some work in you will be accused of being a bandit just for improving.

Don't let them drag you down. They'll be celebrating being allowed to move up to a 36 handicap after the recent rule change and you will be single figures.

So I got back into golf about 12 months ago, I'd not played since I was younger and was pretty rusty at first but my swing has always been decent and so I've progressed fairly quickly. Anyway I joined a club last year and there are some guys I play regular with every week.

There was about 12 of us playing a few weeks ago so we split up into 3 four balls, anyway our group was catching the group up in front. I'd gone through the back of the green and into a bunker right next to where the guys in front were teeing off.

My ball was plugged so I got 58 degree wedge and played it out onto the green, I didn't realize but one guy in the group in front was watching. He stated in a angry voice "He's been having lessons!" "I knew it" and declared it to the group he was playing with who didn't really say anything.

I didn't really know what to say at the time, when I came back to golf I had a fade and wanted to change it into a draw. I had 1 lesson with the pro and he changed it to a slight draw (worked on it at driving range). I watch videos online and practice stuff like chipping etc. I can't always afford lessons and it seems to help my game.

I just wondered why some people see lessons as a bad thing?

njrose51

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a thread running about me being accused of being a bandit, and when I mentioned that I was also having lessons with the club pro, there was almost shock with my PPs! It was as if I had committed the worst sin - having a high handicap AND having a 'coach' as they called her. How else do you expect me to get better??? Sometimes it makes me laugh at the incredulity of players when you say you are trying to improve. Its like they think ... "I play at this level, and its where I am, so no need to improve." Well okay then if that's your opinion, but that's not my way of thinking.

Consistency for me is key though to avoid those stupid mistakes that cost me, and if lessons, help, then so be it!

Personally, I'd say ignore them. Play your own game!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a muppet. I've never understood people who boast about never having a lesson. Pro's are there to help, why not use them. The best in the world have lessons and it seems to work for them.

puttmore89

Hacker
Visit site
Agree with above... Ignore them. In time given the right tuition and ample practice you will be a far superior golfer to them and they will still take the proverbial but it will be out of jealousy instead of spite.

D

Deleted member 21258

Surely this is just banter ? (I only say that, as it is something I would probably say, if you were someone I knew)

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a muppet. I've never understood people who boast about never having a lesson. Pro's are there to help, why not use them. The best in the world have lessons and it seems to work for them.

i think the vast majority of golf pros see us as a mobile cash machine. out off all my golf friends only two of them have seen improvements off golf lessons. i agree that a good one is worth holding onto but most are crap and cant even play golf themselves

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
..."I play at this level, and its where I am, so no need to improve."...

Too right.

If you get 4 shots better through practice and lessons they'll only go and take 4 shots off your handicap so you're back to square 1, except now you have to continue to play that well just to score the same number of points.

Crazy talk.

</sarcasm>

gmhubble

Head Pro
Visit site
Ignore the ass - I am having weekly lessons because I want to get better and want to play the golf course and not myself

He is the idiot by not having them!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
it was sarcasm? i thought he had a good point

Not my way of thinking but I'm sure plenty of people do. Fine if all they want to do is have a stroll, some banter and a couple of beers.

Unfortunately some people think that way because improving their handicap will make winning harder.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I have had three lessons over the last two weeks. The bunker lesson I had to have, I was dire, you can spend all day watching videos on poo tube, but if you cannot see your own swing how do you know what you are doing wrong or right to that matter.
I told my pro imagine you are talking to the "village idiot", re getting outta the bunker. He reckoned that would not be hard to do. It was explained in simple terms. I got into two bunkers yesterday and my best shot of the day was knocking one of the bunker shots 6ft from the pin. The green keeper **** was in the bunker with his machine and said " see if you can get your first ever up and down from a bunker" he put me under pressure, I missed.
point is though I shot 40 points, both times I was out in one, before my lesson them two bunkers would of cost me.
But I have had two lessons wi me driver, I will try what I have been shown but if it ends up going an extra twenty yds left right and centre. Then I will forget what I have been shown and stick to what I already do.
welcome back to golf me man and it's quirky people.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Most old golf courses dont have good practice facilities because in the old days, lessons and practicing was regarded as cheating

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
sound like they where having a joke with you.

we do the same all but about practice. when we meet up on the tee during or winter role ups, if someone comes via the practice ground they usually get the mickey taken and a 2 shot penalty always gets mentioned.