Lessons, a golfing sin?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer I watched your 2nd live golf lesson and I have to say I am pretty concerned for your season if you don't make some drastic changes soon. Otherwise I fear it will be the same old same old. Fighting for consistency but will always be in danger of losing the ball right when you really do not want it to go there.

I fear your pro is too nice to you. You really need a tough teacher who will beat better movement into you. Your take away is MILES outside. I know you battled taking it way inside but it has gone far to far the other way now.

You have had plenty of lessons but only now just addressing the over swing. I was glad to see him ask you to resist with your hips. As you said you couldn't physically turn any more when you put in this resistance. Happy days. Work on this. You always wanted less moving parts.

You need to do a pile of slow motion drills on the take away. 10% speed 50% 75% and so on to build up to full speed. Currently you are doing the super slow nicely then revert to type on full speed. The pro is then praising the strike when the swing has gone back to its old self. I will try to post some stills from the swing that got the thumbs up in the video. It is the exact same as plenty of bad ones.

I am by no means an expert but could easily get you swinging much better given an hour or two. I'd enjoy it and wouldn't charge you a bean.

Anyway, things that are quite clear,

Take away miles outside. (keep hands closer to legs. They are moving away from your body)
Happy with resisted lower half. ( will cut down over swing )
Thirdly, no matter what you do with the back swing and position at the top, who cares how you got there, you simply MUST address your down swing sequence. Its completely out of kilter. You need to start the swing from the ground up. YouTube golf down swing sequence.

You could get away with the first two if you had a better down swing sequence allowing you to shallow the club out. You talk about searching for this on the video and seem quite lost I how to achieve it.

You still have plenty of time to work on this before the season starts. You can take it on board and do something about it now or face fighting the same problems all season.

I might not have a PGA cert on my wall, certainly won't get you swinging like adam Scott, but if you work on these things it might give you a fighting chance this season.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;dehNGCBPlaw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dehNGCBPlaw[/video]

This is as simple as I can make it for now.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've said that to people in jest so I suspect/hope it was just friendly banter.

That said, there are people who like to have a comfortable handicap that they know they can win off of without having to put in any time or effort. You will often find that these are the people who, when they get cut, can't wait to get their handicap back up. They see being cut as a punishment rather than achievement and god forbid that they might get cut and not win anything. If this guy was one of those, he will resent your improvement as you will take money off him but he will be more than happy when your handicap drops.

U

User62651

Over the piece handicapping in golf is a good thing

but..

There are so mnay players out there playing off, for men at least, say a 15 to 18 handicap that never practice and never take lessons. That's their choice and that's ok

BUT

they expect to turn up for competitions and be as competitive as the guys with roughly the same ability yet who do practice, put in the hours, get lessons, actually work to improve and so play off say 8-10 handicaps.

Something about this is unique to golf as a sport and not found in any other sport where mediocrity and laziness/umwillingness to improve are rewarded.

Don't know how you can change this but somehow or other there should be incentives in competitive club strokeplay golf to attain lower handicaps through lessons/practice/course strategy giving you a competitive advantage.....imo

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer I watched your 2nd live golf lesson and I have to say I am pretty concerned for your season if you don't make some drastic changes soon. Otherwise I fear it will be the same old same old. Fighting for consistency but will always be in danger of losing the ball right when you really do not want it to go there.

I fear your pro is too nice to you. You really need a tough teacher who will beat better movement into you. Your take away is MILES outside. I know you battled taking it way inside but it has gone far to far the other way now.

You have had plenty of lessons but only now just addressing the over swing. I was glad to see him ask you to resist with your hips. As you said you couldn't physically turn any more when you put in this resistance. Happy days. Work on this. You always wanted less moving parts.

You need to do a pile of slow motion drills on the take away. 10% speed 50% 75% and so on to build up to full speed. Currently you are doing the super slow nicely then revert to type on full speed. The pro is then praising the strike when the swing has gone back to its old self. I will try to post some stills from the swing that got the thumbs up in the video. It is the exact same as plenty of bad ones.

I am by no means an expert but could easily get you swinging much better given an hour or two. I'd enjoy it and wouldn't charge you a bean.

Anyway, things that are quite clear,

Take away miles outside. (keep hands closer to legs. They are moving away from your body)
Happy with resisted lower half. ( will cut down over swing )
Thirdly, no matter what you do with the back swing and position at the top, who cares how you got there, you simply MUST address your down swing sequence. Its completely out of kilter. You need to start the swing from the ground up. YouTube golf down swing sequence.

You could get away with the first two if you had a better down swing sequence allowing you to shallow the club out. You talk about searching for this on the video and seem quite lost I how to achieve it.

You still have plenty of time to work on this before the season starts. You can take it on board and do something about it now or face fighting the same problems all season.

I might not have a PGA cert on my wall, certainly won't get you swinging like adam Scott, but if you work on these things it might give you a fighting chance this season.

Here is a free £75 pound lesson with your mate Peter finch that you can watch in 10minutes. Brilliant video on coming over the top. Sort this and change your game. Move your path, change your sequence, play better golf.

[video=youtube;4kIhFgUyeco]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kIhFgUyeco[/video]

El Diablo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I watched Homer's Youtube video and can see that the above are pretty relevant to the challenges I saw and could help towards sorting out the problems as relevant drills etc. ask your pro what he thinks perhaps.

We all have our challenges and some of us (like me as well) keep having lessons - my change in pro last year and using indoor location with trackman, video, boditrack made a step change in my game. Had previously always felt I needed to see the ball going down the range but moving indoors meant I focussed on the changes more and less concerned by the outcomes as you do not worry as much about the flight/direction but with simulator readings specific changes being achieved (angle of attack, in/out) or video evidence with the normal exaggerated drills.

My current areas are also takeaway (still not quite right), lifting arms rather than rotating which makes me get too high and narrow and weight too much in toes - but all being worked on.

Keep working on your goal to single figures which I will follow with interest.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I watched Homer's Youtube video and can see that the above are pretty relevant to the challenges I saw and could help towards sorting out the problems as relevant drills etc. ask your pro what he thinks perhaps.

We all have our challenges and some of us (like me as well) keep having lessons - my change in pro last year and using indoor location with trackman, video, boditrack made a step change in my game. Had previously always felt I needed to see the ball going down the range but moving indoors meant I focussed on the changes more and less concerned by the outcomes as you do not worry as much about the flight/direction but with simulator readings specific changes being achieved (angle of attack, in/out) or video evidence with the normal exaggerated drills.

My current areas are also takeaway (still not quite right), lifting arms rather than rotating which makes me get too high and narrow and weight too much in toes - but all being worked on.

Keep working on your goal to single figures which I will follow with interest.

For some reason homer doesn't want to discuss my comments. only trying to help the lad.