Lesson Time

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Indeed I know all to well the reason for the slice and pull, but as you say if I strengthen the grip and come over the top with a closed clubface, all that will happen is a massive pull hook. I've done that one as well.

I know if you swing out to in with a closed face you will hit a pull hook but I didn't suggest that. I said strengthen the grip A TOUCH which means the ball will start straighter and slice less and it will be doable in 2 weeks.

The alternative is to stop the out to in swing which would take 4-6 months minimum

Wayman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Brian at Beamish

I had a couple lessons off him few year ago and he changed my flight and everything I got everything I wanted from the lessons. I keep meaning to go just to tighten a few things but with 3 kids it’s difficult to get out to practice
Such simple tips as well
If your unsure question what he wants you doing he will explain it.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a couple lessons off him few year ago and he changed my flight and everything I got everything I wanted from the lessons. I keep meaning to go just to tighten a few things but with 3 kids it’s difficult to get out to practice
Such simple tips as well
If your unsure question what he wants you doing he will explain it.

I've done a couple of Aimpoint lessons, along with a chipping, short game lesson and a pitching lesson, all of which have helped those aspects of my game no end. As you say very simple tips and no issues in explaining to make sure you understand. Pitching, Chipping and Putting have to be the strongest part of my game now, it's just getting within range of the green that I'm struggling with.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to the lesson and explained the issue, Brian had a look at few swings, saw the issue, give me a drill to work on, explained it all, which made perfect sense, and while it'll not be a quick fix, I know what I need to do.

I may not use the driver or fairways for a little while, but even if it means just do the drill to hit 4 irons off the tee that's what I'll do, as it'll keep the ball on the fairway.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
After seeing my swing and me explaining what was going on and me telling him about previous lessons with other coaches. I mentioned that a previous coach had wanted me to have the feeling of pulling down on the club with my right hand and have the butt of the club pointing at the ball. I was told while that is kind of correct it was also kind of wrong, it was explained in detail why, but the crux was in pulling down on the butt head it made the head end come out and wouldn't help me fix an out to in over the top swing.

I was asked if it was ever explained why I was told to do that move, I said it was just to promote a feeling of having the club behind me.

I was then shown how to correctly make that move and given a drill to enforce it.

After the explanation it all made perfect sense.

Even on doing the drill, I was using my body better, finishing position was over/on my left leg not falling back onto my right side, hitting the ball felt a load better, on doing the drill its easy to know when you're doing it right as you'll have a solid strike, if I get to arms and wristy it will end up with a thin, so no not knowing if you are doing it right or wrong.

All in all a very good lesson.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I have lessons all through the season. I’ve tried the winter programmes twice and I tend to just get bad habits come the start of the season.

No harm in having lessons while your playing. I’ll have one a month. If it hasn’t quite clicked I’ll try to get two in.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you stood as you would at address without a club, arms hanging down naturally with palms flat and together. Then leaving your left hand where it is and turned into a full backswing then turned back so your right palm came back down and squared up with your left. Out of a hundred times how many would your right hand not be square to the left?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7YNdNy05aI

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
After seeing my swing and me explaining what was going on and me telling him about previous lessons with other coaches. I mentioned that a previous coach had wanted me to have the feeling of pulling down on the club with my right hand and have the butt of the club pointing at the ball. I was told while that is kind of correct it was also kind of wrong, it was explained in detail why, but the crux was in pulling down on the butt head it made the head end come out and wouldn't help me fix an out to in over the top swing.

I was asked if it was ever explained why I was told to do that move, I said it was just to promote a feeling of having the club behind me.

I was then shown how to correctly make that move and given a drill to enforce it.

After the explanation it all made perfect sense.

Even on doing the drill, I was using my body better, finishing position was over/on my left leg not falling back onto my right side, hitting the ball felt a load better, on doing the drill its easy to know when you're doing it right as you'll have a solid strike, if I get to arms and wristy it will end up with a thin, so no not knowing if you are doing it right or wrong.

All in all a very good lesson.

Glad it worked out after all the trepidation before hand. I reckon while you bed it in there will be bad times ahead on the course but keep going, see if you groove it at the range and know you've got the ideas to move the game forward