Length of Course

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

If you had the choice, what length of course would you choose to play if a Par 72 ?

Would you still pick the mens daily/ comp tees or go shorter or longer ?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
If you had the choice, what length of course would you choose to play if a Par 72 ?

Would you still pick the mens daily/ comp tees or go shorter or longer ?

Kedleston which is a nice knock not too far from me is Par 70 off Blues or (Par 72) off yellows due to 2 long par 4's which become par 5's on yellows

Hole 1 is 494 Par 4 for Blue/White or 488 Par 5 for yellow
Hole 13 is 484 Par 4 for Blue/White or 478 Par 5 for yellow

Blue = 7008 Yards (Par 70)
White = 6727 (Par 70)
Yellow = 6440 (Par 72)

Had to play off yellow before in a society and didn't enjoy it half as much as I did off Whites.

Always up for a challenge though, so would gladly have a go at the Blue but not yet had the opportunity, I'll be watching one of my PP's attempt to qualify for the open there off the Blues doubt I'll get the opportunity myself.

Wolf

Visit site
For me anything around 6500 yards. It has enough length to have some longer holes, but at that length can also have good routing that requires a layout that needs shot making not just length

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am a short hitter and generally prefer shorter courses but in all honesty it depends on the nature of the course . A longer course with fast running links fairways can be a pleasure to play a medium length course with sticky gloopy claggy fairways can feel like a slog.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played with a fellow forummer last week on a course that was 6,000 yds. Not huge fairways but forgiving enough. That was perfect for me. My own course is 6,400 off the yellows and that is the edge of my range. It is quite forgiving so the extra length is manageable. Off the whites it is 6,800 :unsure:(n)(n). I avoid comps off the whites there.

When I play at an away course I always check the length before deciding which tee to play from. I play for fun, not to be beaten up.

In answer to your question, courses between 5,800 - 6,400, I'm allowing a difference in length due to the tightness, or not, of the course. Above 6,400, I need an emoji person blowing a raspberry :D

D

Deleted member 1147

Kedleston which is a nice knock not too far from me is Par 70 off Blues or (Par 72) off yellows due to 2 long par 4's which become par 5's on yellows

Hole 1 is 494 Par 4 for Blue/White or 488 Par 5 for yellow
Hole 13 is 484 Par 4 for Blue/White or 478 Par 5 for yellow

Blue = 7008 Yards (Par 70)
White = 6727 (Par 70)
Yellow = 6440 (Par 72)

Had to play off yellow before in a society and didn't enjoy it half as much as I did off Whites.

Always up for a challenge though, so would gladly have a go at the Blue but not yet had the opportunity, I'll be watching one of my PP's attempt to qualify for the open there off the Blues doubt I'll get the opportunity myself.
The Kedleston Goose is two rounds played off the blues.

It’s the par 3’s where you really notice the difference.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No longer then 6500

Happy to play off the yellows as long as it is good test.

I play a course of 5800/6100 and it a good test due to good design, well placed doglegs, narrow fairways on short length holes and very punishing long rough/ trees if you are very much off line.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Somewhere between 6400-6700 is about right for me I think. Lancaster plays 6512 off the whites and certainly doesn't ever feel too long.

*TQ*

Club Champion
Visit site
Been playing a lot of the whites recently and it does feel like a different game at times (having only ever played off the yellows before). Tee shot selection is restricted (when driver still leaves a six iron in there isn't much room to take a hybrid or iron off the tee) but I do enjoy the extra challenge and at 6400 there's still holes which can be driver/wedge giving some variety.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I seldom go over 7000 yards these days unless it's a comp and I have no choice.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My course is about 6500 yards off the whites and that is fine by me. Really do not like courses that are just a string of long par 4s.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Length isn’t everything 😳
I’m happy to play a longer course if I’m playing and driving well.
If you’re going through a bad spell, it can be a real grind.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Over the past few months, I think I enjoy playing courses where they are in the 6200 - 6500 range more.

My home course, off the whites is just under 6900 and can feel like a slog. The shorter length feels like you have half a chance!