leicester golf - help

joma1108

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am going to have an overnight after meeting a customer in leicester next week tues or wed
Does anyone know of a decent course that will be playing ok and not completely sodden
would want full greens but dont mind playing off a mat.

heading from glasgow so dont want too much further travelling, possibly 1 hour or so north or south.

All help greatly appreciated.

thanks

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
I live in Leicestershire and have played the majority of courses in and around the Leicester area so have a decent idea of where you could play.
Obviously it depends on your budget but I would fully recommend Longcliffe GC which is near to Loughborough, it is about 25 minutes drive from central Leicester. Think its £30ish and you will definately be playing on full greens and no mats, really cracking course and always in superb condition.
Others to consider would be Luffenham Heath (fantastic but £50), Greetham Valley (valley course) and Lingdale.
Another to consider is Stapleford Park, hosts the European senior tour every year and is pretty stunning (quite dear but if you book through tee times its reasonable).

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I live in Leicestershire and have played the majority of courses in and around the Leicester area so have a decent idea of where you could play.
Obviously it depends on your budget but I would fully recommend Longcliffe GC which is near to Loughborough, it is about 25 minutes drive from central Leicester. Think its £30ish and you will definately be playing on full greens and no mats, really cracking course and always in superb condition.
Others to consider would be Luffenham Heath (fantastic but £50), Greetham Valley (valley course) and Lingdale.
Another to consider is Stapleford Park, hosts the European senior tour every year and is pretty stunning (quite dear but if you book through tee times its reasonable).

I think that you need to be invited to play Luffenham Heath. Greetham Valley is a decent enough course but will take you best part of an hour to get their from Leicester. Rutland Water is nearer and more scenic to my mind.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a member at Lingdale don't waste your money on ours at the moment as we have some work going on with a couple of temp greens! Cracking when it's done though! Whereabouts in Leicester are you visiting? Region3 is at Beedles lake just outside Leicester and would be able to tell you the condition there. Longcliffe is usually in good condition but not sure on prices I think it's about £35ish. Scraptoft is nice although never played it.

Last edited:

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The place I play at (in my sig) are always full tees and greens and is around £20 I think. It drains very well and the greens are in reasonable condition, but Longcliffe and Greetham are nicer.

Rothley Park is another to add to the list but I've no idea on prices.
The Leicestershire & Birstall are also allegedly good but I've no idea on prices or condition as I haven't played either in about 25 years.

joma1108

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks to All, Longcliffe looks a good course from the pictures i seen, Greetham looks like my kind of course and it has a hotel attached so no travelling.
Im in the centre of leicester looking to be clear around 1pm latest and then a quick game after that, might have last few holes getting darker but can live with that.
If there are any other suggestions i would welcome hearing them, going to be wednesday game i think possibly thurs am.

m1975

Club Champion
Visit site
we have been reasonably dry here over the last week so most courses should be ok. birstall and the leicestershire both always seem to be dry and always on full greens - both within 3 miles of city centre, played the leicestershire early jan and the greens were tremendous for the time of year

SirSliceAlot

Club Champion
Visit site
GB72 - I played Luffenham with my dad in November for his birthday and we got on fine, think it was Monday.

Evesdad - Shame about temps at Lingdale, I've not played it for a while but the front nine and 17-18 are lovely. I would avoid Beedles personally, it's always packed and I have had numerous 4.5-5 hour rounds, much more interesting courses around here too.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks to All, Longcliffe looks a good course from the pictures i seen, Greetham looks like my kind of course and it has a hotel attached so no travelling.
Im in the centre of leicester looking to be clear around 1pm latest and then a quick game after that, might have last few holes getting darker but can live with that.
If there are any other suggestions i would welcome hearing them, going to be wednesday game i think possibly thurs am.

If you do go to Greetham and stay, head for the Wheatsheaf in the village for food. Carol there cooks superb food at a reasonable price (used to live there).

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
GB72 - I played Luffenham with my dad in November for his birthday and we got on fine, think it was Monday.

Evesdad - Shame about temps at Lingdale, I've not played it for a while but the front nine and 17-18 are lovely. I would avoid Beedles personally, it's always packed and I have had numerous 4.5-5 hour rounds, much more interesting courses around here too.

It's nothing major just a bit of work on the second and third holes with temps on them the rest is fine just wouldn't want someone to be disappointed. The 17th is my favourite hole, get good results too!

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not played there for years, really used to enjoy that track was handy as worked in Lutterworth at the time. Can't tell you how many balls the lake on the I think 13th or 14th hole has eaten up of mine!!

mouth

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played at Park Hill just off the A46 on Wednesday. Was in really good condition and on full greens (which are quite fast) and tees. The first six holes or so were miserable as sin due to high winds and rain. It's quite hilly but that's half the fun I suppose. The course drains really well and believe it or not my shoes were actually cleaner after than before. Can be had for £20 or so.