Left out

Starbox

Visit site
My first experience off doing a BBBC competition , I go on the club app and join a 3 ball , thinking you need to be in pairs to score happy days , turn up 30mins before my tee of time and paid my £4 entry fee , I'm new to the club and don't know anyone , 5 mins to go before my tee time and know one seemed to be in the club house to introduce myself to , so I go to the first tee and there was 3 guys already on the green so I tee off ...for the full 18 holes there was a 3 ball in front and a 3 ball behind which made me fell kind of left out ....I play of 21 ...I'm just wounding if the same people play in the same group, I was kind of expecting to pick a name out of a hat

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
BBBC?
Anyone in the pro shop?
“Hi I’m new here, playing with Fred & Charlie at 1:30, any idea where I can find them”
Presume the 2 other players were no shows, which would irritate the hell out of me if they hadn’t taken their names off the sheet
If a comp, you can’t play as a single unless you have a marker,

I’d be going to the pro shop and tell them the story

Jason.H

Visit site
Our club people just book their own times with their mates. And some tend to tee off early if they can. Still bad practice if someone else has added their name not to wait for you. My previous club all Major comps were drawn you just picked an hour slot and people did not tee off early.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our club people just book their own times with their mates. And some tend to tee off early if they can. Still bad practice if someone else has added their name not to wait for you. My previous club all Major comps were drawn you just picked an hour slot and people did not tee off early.

Just to be clear, there are penalties for teeing off early - it probably happens at most clubs, but for the benefit of the OP who is new to the game it's worth pointing out.

Jason.H

Visit site
There are no penalties applied at our club. It’s overly relaxed in this area imo, and early groups go off early as they choose. When I 1st joined I booked online with a 3 ball and got there 20 mins early and then found the 3 ball had already gone so i joined the next group.
My previous club in major comps you would be announced on the 1st tee by a starter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What format is BBBC? Not an acronym that I know. If it is for a 3 ball format then surely our OP shouldn’t have been able to enter as a fourth member of the group.

Starbox

Visit site
BBBC?
Anyone in the pro shop?
“Hi I’m new here, playing with Fred & Charlie at 1:30, any idea where I can find them”
Presume the 2 other players were no shows, which would irritate the hell out of me if they hadn’t taken their names off the sheet
If a comp, you can’t play as a single unless you have a marker,

I’d be going to the pro shop and tell them the story

Pairs 4BBB Bogey competition

Starbox

Visit site
In general play I have been offered to join groups so there are some good guys , it's just the fact that it was my first competition so I was feeling nervous etc....are MEDAL competitions draw out of a hat , once I get familiar with people then I will know the face to the name ...thanks for the reply

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In general play I have been offered to join groups so there are some good guys , it's just the fact that it was my first competition so I was feeling nervous etc....are MEDAL competitions draw out of a hat , once I get familiar with people then I will know the face to the name ...thanks for the reply

Ours is book whenever you want with mates if you want

We were told add to other bookings but use the internal messaging service to let people know (No1 really uses it)

Best thing to do is to add yourself then go to the tee early and introduce yourself when the groups arrive .. about 10 mins early should do

Do you have a Marshall? We wait by his hut

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Pairs 4BBB Bogey competition
In which case how can they go off as a three ball? And a three ball behind you also? And even if one of the three you put your name down with was not in the comp but marking for the pair it was very poor show to leave you behind…and how were you able to play without a partner?

BTW - I don’t mean these Qs to imply anything you’ve done is wrong…I just find the whole situation a bit baffling.

Jason.H

Visit site
If you have online booking look there and just add your name. For medals we just book online.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
You just get some ignorant obnoxious people at golf clubs. Similar happened to me 3 years ago at my old club. A 4 man team competition. I noticed a 3 in the field so added my name as I am entitled to do.

About an hour later I got an email from one of the 3 asking me to remove my name as they had managed to get a 4th. ???

I decided what would the point be in playing 18 holes with 3 people who were not interested in integrating new members so I removed my name. Emailed the secretary who was not interested and resigned my membership at the end of that season - best thing I ever did.

Golf Clubs can be insular places, hopefully it was a one off.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm in my first year at my current club and most groups are very well established. Comps aren't drawn, you just put your name down on brs. That means I'm frequently playing with 3 other people that I don't know, Saturday just gone was a perfect example. I make sure I'm by the tee a good 10 minutes before tee off and ask around to find out the tee off time of those stood there or practicing on the putting green next to it, make sure I know the group I'm in and they know I'm the 4th in their group.

I've never had a group leave me behind, that would be flat out rude and hugely disappointing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
You just get some ignorant obnoxious people at golf clubs. Similar happened to me 3 years ago at my old club. A 4 man team competition. I noticed a 3 in the field so added my name as I am entitled to do.

About an hour later I got an email from one of the 3 asking me to remove my name as they had managed to get a 4th. ???

I decided what would the point be in playing 18 holes with 3 people who were not interested in integrating new members so I removed my name. Emailed the secretary who was not interested and resigned my membership at the end of that season - best thing I ever did.

Wow, that's a shocker. No wonder you left. That's some face to ask you to take your name off ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I had very similar happen to me last year in the same format of comp - the guy who contacted me was fulsome in conveying their apologies as they had been waiting to get confirmation from the fourth of their team. It was, I believe, only a matter of unfortunate timing with them booking the tee time and me spotting they were a three - I took nothing more from the situation than that and tbh I wasn’t actually that bothered whether I played in the comp or not.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I had very similar happen to me last year in the same format of comp - the guy who contacted me was fulsome in conveying their apologies as they had been waiting to get confirmation from the fourth of their team. It was, I believe, only a matter of unfortunate timing with them booking the tee time and me spotting they were a three - I took nothing more from the situation than that and tbh I wasn’t actually that bothered whether I played in the comp or not.
Would you have done the same if the roles had been reversed? I bet you wouldn't. It's not what a club should be about

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Would you have done the same if the roles had been reversed? I bet you wouldn't. It's not what a club should be about
I understood that they were in the process of booking their four - I just got in before they could confirm their number four. And yes…in such circumstances I might well do the same. Similarly I might see a two ball and add my name…then get a message telling me they were playing a match and asking me to cancel my booking. Most of us now know to ask the shop to book out other slots if we are playing a match.