Left-handed and 6"3" - please help

RDung

Visit site
Hello All, My 18 year old son has just taken up golf, with a group of friends, at his local driving range and 9 hole course. He has asked for a beginners set of clubs for Christmas as he doesn't get on with the ones he can borrow. He is 6'3" and left handed which seems to limit our options. As I have never played golf I would really appreciate some recommendations from people who understand the game and the equipment. Many thanks for taking the time to read this.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Firstly, I wouldn't spend a fortune on new clubs in case he loses interest so Ebay is probably your friend.
Either that or phone round the local pro shops and ask if they have anything second hand in stock for learners.
Try and stick with well known names like Ping, Titleist, Mizuno, Taylormade, Callaway as they will be easier to sell on if he loses interest.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are a few on here from that area and may help. Bobs advice is always good. There is a left handed shop based at Silvermere golf club in Surrey that might be worth calling

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Don't get the idea that, because he's tall, he needs longer clubs. It depends on the distance from wrist to floor, which can be the same for people 5'6" & 6'6". Lengthing clubs significantly affects the way they swing i.e. The "swingweight"

RDung

Visit site
Don't get the idea that, because he's tall, he needs longer clubs. It depends on the distance from wrist to floor, which can be the same for people 5'6" & 6'6". Lengthing clubs significantly affects the way they swing i.e. The "swingweight"
Thanks for your reply. His wrist to floor measurement is 3"1" (94cm) - would standard clubs be ok?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
For my 6'3" son I did the static fit on the Ping website then bought secondhand on ebay. Glad I did not spend a lot as he only plays once a year now.

Neeko1988

Visit site
If your based in Staffordshire then you could try American golf at the Three Hammers as they have a lot of second hand clubs in at the bottom, they also have some beginner sets. Not sure if they have left handed but def worth a try. He could also have a knock on the range (it has top tracer) and the pitch and putt while hes there.