Learning things from team games.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played in many pairs and team games but last weekend really got me thinking a lot about my game and where I could progress.
I played in a Texas scramble with two 12 handicappers one has a massive
overswing and can hit it anywhere and the other who hits it shorter and plays
a lot of bump and runs.
We had 5 birdies and the rest was pars so importantly no drop shots,this got
me thinking that if you keep putting your ball in good spots pars will be good and the birdies will follow so producing the score we had.
We had a birdie putt on every hole bar 1 beacause all our drives we took were on the fairways or on the par3 in 1 shot,not always long but on the short stuff.
All our second shots were on the green or pin high where we were putting for birdie.
Also because we have a few short par 4s we were chipping or pitching from
well inside 100 yards,even though we chipped or pitch on the green we were
not getting the ball close enough a lessoned learned.
We all putted vey well and gave the hole a scare on many occasions but
from 20ft the percentage is obviously lower,interestingly after the first putt
getting the line was quite easy but it just goes to show even with 3 putts
your not going to sink them all from that range.
When chipping it was interesting to see the 3 different techniques and options
used.
I use a 58 or 54 around the greens when the others used wedges and its so important to chose the right option.
All in all it was a good round but more importantly a good lesson which ive no
doubt will help me achieve a lower handicap this year.

Your thoughts and have you picked anything up from a team game.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've always said that 90% of golfers can hit a ball but only a small percentage know how to play it .... And your post sums that up.

IMHO to many people reach for the same high loft wedge around the green as an example which can result in varied outcomes, I now pick the nearest flat point to me where the ball will bounce straight and roll true and then adjust my loft to suit the amount of roll. This shot could be anything from a 7I to pw but more importantly I'm never more than 1metre from the hole for my next putt

There are many other examples but there just one.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've always said that 90% of golfers can hit a ball but only a small percentage know how to play it .... And your post sums that up.

IMHO to many people reach for the same high loft wedge around the green as an example which can result in varied outcomes, I now pick the nearest flat point to me where the ball will bounce straight and roll true and then adjust my loft to suit the amount of roll. This shot could be anything from a 7I to pw but more importantly I'm never more than 1metre from the hole for my next putt

you never chip worse than to just over 3 ft away? how bad is the rest of your game?

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site

bloody hell, that's a pretty good stat.......

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
you never chip worse than to just over 3 ft away? how bad is the rest of your game?

Depends how far you start off, ie 50/60ft, undulating green the variables go on.

As i said " I'm never more than a metre " , but truth be told from inside 20/30ft 2ft seems an average

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Depends how far you start off, ie 50/60ft, undulating green the variables go on.

As i said " I'm never more than a metre " , but truth be told from inside 20/30ft 2ft seems an average

Aaah, the opposite to me then, I'm often further away from the hole than I was before I chipped.