Learning the rules

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
I have been playing golf for about 18 months and have been picking up the rules has i go as you do.

However i have two mates i play with 7 and 5 H,Caps repsectfully.

They have come up with a novel way of teaching me some of the rules (LEARN BY YOUR MISTAKES)

Whenever i play a round with them and i break a rule accidently i might add, they will tell me the ruling and and why and then give me the penalty strokes. So has you can imagine i am picking them up quiet quickly and will never make the same mistake twice.

Played yesterday, i was playing out of a green side bunker and played the shot, the ball went about 3 foot and landed in the sand in front of me. With frustration i replayed the swing as you do after you have duffed, one and i touched the sand with my club. 2 stroke penalty was shouted why i asked you are deemed to be testing the sand ,while your ball is still in the bunker.

So has you can see this for me is a good way of learning the rules and its a lot more fun than having to look it up in a book.

Regards

RB

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My God,friends like yours I do not need!

They know that you dont know......not fair!!

You should be warned and told the possible pitfalls.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It is always the hardest pill to swallow when you are penalised for an infringement you knew nothing about. I got D/Q'd once after finishing 2nd in a comp because I had gone out early in the day and played 1, 2, 3 and 18. I didn't know you couldn't play onthe course prior to the start of your round. I do now.

I think your mates could perhaps lighten up a bit if it is only a friendly (unless you always look like beaten them) and perhaps tell you that you would have incurred a penalty inthat situation and why.

Before anybody says anything about playing to the rules, tell the guy he has infringed and why (only if it is a friendly, you have to do him in a comp obviously) but I bet by making it a joke it will stick with him and he won't make the same mistake twice.

If I was in the situation and my mates were pulling me up every time I infringed, I'd be too scared to take practice swings, mark my ball or even take my shot. It can't help concentration. However it does beg the question why aren't you reading the rules in the meantime and at least getting the major points off by heart

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Jeez Homer,how many nights did you spend reading the rules in the abstract.

Learn as you play,but surely it is your mates duty to look after you!!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
RB.

A couple of months ago GM gave away a free copy of the Bible (AKA The Rules of Golf) A small handy publication from the R&A.
A handy addition to the golf bag plus essential lavatory reading!

If you haven't got one, look up the R&A website and get one, they're free, but I believe they charge for postage now. Definitely worth getting a copy or two. You can learn the rules yourself instead of being pulled up on the course by over zealous golf partners!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was it a friendly or a proper match? If I caught a mate breaching the rules in a friendly matchplay I'd call it (with an explanation) and take the hole. If it was a friendly medal, I wouldn't (but still explain). If it was a club match....of course......

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Nico

I think you will find the onus for learning and applying the rules starts and finishes with the individual. To set your mind at rest (but thank you for thinking of me wasting all my nights learning the rules word for word) I don't know them in the abstract but feel confident enought that in the majority of normal circumstances I would be able to take the correct action.

If not I can always chant the rulebook back to myself until I get the relevant section :)

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Good point well made!

I do really think tho that we should(in social golf) look after our mates and make sure they dont screw up in competition.

Can you chant the offside law??

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
How did I know you are a ref!!

Does not release us from the duty of saying "hang on mate,are you sure you want to do that?" in social golf with people we know are not experienced.

BTW I fence judge a lot and it does feel good to say to a household name "that's eliminated".

Range_Ball

Club Champion
Visit site
Guys dont get me wrong it is all done in a friendly way and with plenty of banter to go along.

As for the a rule book i do carry the pocket sized one in my bag and it is only when we are playing friendly matches aganist each other.

RB

Gazzery

Club Champion
Visit site
Yes my mate always lets me know about any rules i have broken and it always sticks with me. I remember once we were playing a four ball with 2 of his mates and i hit a craking drive off the tee just under 300 yds, and past all of them, and they jokingly said we will let you keep that 1 this time, but next time tee up behind the tee markers, Whoooops and ive neva done it again but its an easy thing to do.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think the penalty method, even among mates is a good one. A hard lesson is always learned quickly and as long as there is no malice and plenty of banter then seems like a good idea. Would certainly rather be picked up then than in a serious round.

teetime72

Head Pro
Visit site
I was under the impression that if your ball remains in the bunker after your first shot you may touch the sand before your 2nd.

Rule 13-4 exceptions 2.

`After making the stroke,if the ball is still in the hazard,the player may smooth sand,provided nothing is done to breach Rule 13-2 with respect to his next stroke.

Rule 13-2.-tells you what you must not do buy goes on to say

`However the player incurs no penalty if the action occurs
in grounding the club lightly when addressing the ball`.

In my opinion the player has already tested the condition of the hazard when making his 1st.failed stroke.

If i`m wrong I stand corrected.