Learning the piano

flandango

Head Pro
Visit site
Morning!

Just purchased a piano for my 4 year old daughter to learn on. She is 5 in July.

We have a piano teacher in place but just wandered how difficult it would be to self learn? For myself.

Me and my wife want to learn but lessons are expensive and cant justify £60pw for us all to learn.

Does anyone have any advice???

Thanks!

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ummm

Sit in on the lessons and practice what your daughter is taught?
Won't be long before she shows you where you are going wrong :)

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Learn along with her!

Chances are her teacher will give her a "tutor" book which will be easy to learn from. Fortunately for you, the Piano (in the early stages) doesn't require a great deal of complicated technique. If she can remember what her teacher says about posture and hands, follow her and see if you can keep up!!! You can learn "a la type-writing"....but expect to pick it up at 50% speed!

I CAN advise you, although I don't teach the Piano (anymore) I am qualified to teach the Piano.

Most starter books cover both the theory of music and the skill of playing the instrument....

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
I cant play the piano as such but use a midi keyboard to create dance tunes,i would love to be able to play the likes of Canon C beautiful bit of music

andiritchie

Journeyman Pro
HOTMAIL.COM
i use Reason 3 not the latest but its alright for my casual use

I do enjoy mixing music on my decks have been doing that for 10 years,just making music is something completly different

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Learning the piano... i think it depends on if your enjoying yourself.. if your really excited about plaing and learnign i think you will learn fast!

im learning spanish at the mo.. and im learning it quick cos i enjoy it...

ive half given up on guitar cos its not floating my boat at the mo but i will probably go back to it later !

Piano is a lovely instrument