Laying the club on the ground for angle

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Re the thread about laying the club on the ground to work out angle of flight.

I have had a reply from the R&A and they have confirmed that this is not against the rules.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, why would something that provides absolutely zero benefit be against the rules? :ROFLMAO:
Strange way to look at it - and very wrong.

Simple example; you hit your usual 240 yd drive straight down the middle, perfectly missing the deep fairway bunker.
You deliberately kick your ball into the bunker, continuing play from there...

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Cheers Jim me man.

However if it is not illegal to use a club to get a line for an angle, why is it illegal to use a club to get a line when playing a shot 🤔
Oh this beautiful simple game. 😁

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
only one works ;)

😂

Oddly enough I was at the range on Tuesday, to wet to go out. Said PP who stood on his club to get angle was there, we had a chin wag over a " sausage doins". Sausage Cob, cheese and Barby sauce. Anyway I mentioned to him about how the angle of the club don't necessarily relate to the angle of the ball releasing from the clubhead. He was as gobsmacked as me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have to confess I did it at FoA in the GM Centenary Final. Par 4 with pond left of the green. I had gone right off the tee and didn't like my pitch and run options through the trees with the pond looming so got a club out to see if I could go over. I think from memory (and stand to be corrected that either Jezz or the GM photographer were watching at the time). Either way decided on 9 iron got to the front of the green and two putted

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Strange way to look at it - and very wrong.

Simple example; you hit your usual 240 yd drive straight down the middle, perfectly missing the deep fairway bunker.
You deliberately kick your ball into the bunker, continuing play from there...
What the hell are you talking about?? :unsure::unsure: Why on earth would you do that??

It helps you choose the right club from the fairway bunker n’est pas?
I'm not sure it can do, unless the back of everyone's clubs are always 100% parallel to the face of their clubs, which I don't believe is the case. Maybe it might help in someone's mind but it's pretty far from an exact science. :LOL:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What the hell are you talking about?? :unsure::unsure: Why on earth would you do that??

I'm not sure it can do, unless the back of everyone's clubs are always 100% parallel to the face of their clubs, which I don't believe is the case. Maybe it might help in someone's mind but it's pretty far from an exact science. :LOL:
Just like standing behind your ball and throwing a bit of grass up to see what the wind is doing. Never understood this as you won’t be hitting your ball where you threw the grass - unless you throw it really high🤪

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Alternatively, Duncan was giving a stupid made-up example which was absolutely nothing like what we were talking about. :LOL:
Not really
You said why would something that gives no benefit be against the rules - well, there's an example.
You're looking at the rules the wrong way.
They're not purely there to punish - they're there to keep things fair.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not really
You said why would something that gives no benefit be against the rules - well, there's an example.
You're looking at the rules the wrong way.
They're not purely there to punish - they're there to keep things fair.
Well, I meant specifically this but whatever. Obviously you can't kick your ball around. :rolleyes:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Jim me man.

However if it is not illegal to use a club to get a line for an angle, why is it illegal to use a club to get a line when playing a shot 🤔
Oh this beautiful simple game. 😁
It isn't illegal use a club to get a line - but it is illegal to put down anything to align your stance for a shot